Another Journeyman

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Another Journeyman

Post by ratters » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

So is Craig Davies going to be typical of the signings made by Coyle but even lower quality. We have had two years of buying journeyman Championship standard players who think they should play in the Prem and this looks like it will continue under DF.
And don't use money as a reason. Laudrup has shown there are better and cheaper overseas players available than buying home grown players. Where is our overseas scouting network? In previous Championship days we got the likes of Rikki, Jussi, Gudni, Fish,Johansen and Frandsen who could all hold their own in the Prem. Are we now settling to be a mid-low level Championship team?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Re: Another Journeyman

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Always criticisms, never answers or solutions to the impossible equations.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8387964/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

happy?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

the old foreign must be better ignorance

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

ratters wrote:So is Craig Davies going to be typical of the signings made by Coyle but even lower quality. We have had two years of buying journeyman Championship standard players who think they should play in the Prem and this looks like it will continue under DF.
And don't use money as a reason. Laudrup has shown there are better and cheaper overseas players available than buying home grown players. Where is our overseas scouting network? In previous Championship days we got the likes of Rikki, Jussi, Gudni, Fish,Johansen and Frandsen who could all hold their own in the Prem. Are we now settling to be a mid-low level Championship team?
Fish was signed when we were in the premiership.

Johansen and Frandsen came for over 2M and that was more than 10 years ago. We don't have that sort of money anymore.

Gardner was also more than £300,000.

So just saying "don't give me money as an excuse" when you've listed players who were more expensive than C Davies back in the bloody 90's is not a good place to start an argument.

Gudni was signed from Spurs.

The argument that signing a load of unheard of foreign types will necessarily be better than signing some championship players is a bit nonsensical.

And we are apparently close to signing an unheard of foreign midfield player called Jan Gregus. How do you know that he isn't going to be like the "at the time unheard of" Johansen/Frandsen/Bergsson etc?

Could you tell me which foreign players Swansea have signed under Laudrup, that we could have a) attracted and b) afforded.

The Swansea argument might have been pertinent last season when Coyle was spunking millions on the likes of Sordell, Ream and NGog and we had a 55M quid wage bill.

I'm not sure we could now compete in the same market as Swansea given where we are and the budget we will have!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm

#shitthread

Midnite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Midnite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 pm

[quote="ratters"]So is Craig Davies going to be typical of the signings made by Coyle but even lower quality. We have had two years of buying journeyman Championship standard players who think they should play in the Prem and this looks like it will continue under DF.
And don't use money as a reason.

Don't quite follow this thread...OC spends around 7mill for Ngog and Sordell. Haven't actually set the place alight have they.
DF spends 300K on Davies. Hasn't even kicked a ball and you are rubbishing him. If he doesn't work out and he's sold probably get your money back. How much would you get for Ngog and Sordell?

Where do you think Bolton get their money from? Money is a reason. Can't expect ED to shell out every year on new players.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 pm

ChrisC wrote:#shitthread
Is that you, Marv? :lol:
Pfffft.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:57 pm

I am actually getting quite excited by some of DFs signing
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Bergsson...unknown?

But anyway, nowt to see here
Sto ut Serviam

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
ChrisC wrote:#shitthread
Is that you, Marv? :lol:
:lol:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Seen some goals that he's scored. He looks like he's only got eye for goal and looks like he could cause defences a few problems and has a decent scoring record. He certainly looks capable of hitting the back of the net and with the amount of time we spend in the opposition half it can only be a good thing.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Could you tell me which foreign players Swansea have signed under Laudrup, that we could have a) attracted and b) afforded.

The Swansea argument might have been pertinent last season when Coyle was spunking millions on the likes of Sordell, Ream and NGog and we had a 55M quid wage bill.

I'm not sure we could now compete in the same market as Swansea given where we are and the budget we will have!
I know one of Swansea's directors quite well. They have had good contacts in Spain since Martinez was their manager and they make them feel at home. Laudrup has kept that going. So Spanish players feel comfortable there. They would not come here.
What goes around may still come around

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 am

bw@bw wrote: I know one of Swansea's directors quite well. They have had good contacts in Spain since Martinez was their manager and they make them feel at home. Laudrup has kept that going. So Spanish players feel comfortable there. They would not come here.
I wonder if this might have been different had Coyle found a role for Campo with the money he instead spent on simply fetching his mate whatshisface from Burnley - the one that was "Good to have around the dressing room"? :roll:

Edit: Robbie Blake.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:09 am

I'd like to see the survey of Spanish footballers which supports the assertion they 'would not come here.'

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 am

Enoch wrote:I'd like to see the survey of Spanish footballers which supports the assertion they 'would not come here.'
Bet the top scoring midfielder in La Liga would have been in dreamland when he heard newly relegated Bolton were chasing him

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 am

And I would wager you would lose that bet.

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 pm

On the Swansea topic players from Spain will want to go their as Laudrup is a legend in Spanish football having played for both Barca & madrid so players will want to play for him
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Mar wrote:Seen some goals that he's scored. He looks like he's only got eye for goal and looks like he could cause defences a few problems and has a decent scoring record. He certainly looks capable of hitting the back of the net and with the amount of time we spend in the opposition half it can only be a good thing.
1 in 4-ish? :conf:

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's an absolute rarity that someone starts to produce the goods and really work their way up the leagues to perform at the highest level late on in their careers. Off the top of my head I can only really think of Jon Walters and DJ Campbell to a certain extent. Before anyone says, no Keith Andrews doesn't count because he is complete garbage and if he couldn't take a penalty then he's up there with our worst signings of all time.

Let's not kid ourselves here. If you're hitting the 25-27 age and you've not done anything in your career, chances are you're not going to be any good. A lot of you got your hopes up when we signed Pratley, but he's had a similar career to Davies Number 3. Look how he's turned out.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do and I hope he goes on to be a good signing for us but someone who's career high so far is Barnsley and is around the 'peak' of his career isn't going to be good in my opinion.