Everton In The Cup

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Everton In The Cup

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
so.... now... the entire squad ISN'T utterly shoite and uncoachable and they shouldn't all be binned off?? I can't keep up! :wink:
It's not that simple though and you know it. Can they translate that into games they are 'expected' to win. Today was kind of a freebie. Go out and play.

But Freedman has clearly put a structure and organisation in that is helping. It's blatantly obvious.

We still need better players in some areas, or perhaps, different types of players rather than better ones.

no - it's not that simple - but you said it was. You said it was simply that the entire squad was utter shite and uncoachable and we should bin the lot of them off...

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:42 am

Highlights: http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/1 ... goals-sees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lovely run and finish by Sordell and a slick build-up, too. From the half-way line: pass-pass-pass-shoot-goal – nice!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 am

Sponge wrote:Highlights: http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/1 ... goals-sees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lovely run and finish by Sordell and a slick build-up, too. From the half-way line: pass-pass-pass-shoot-goal – nice!
It was absolutely lovely to watch. Thing is, we put together an almost identical move a few minutes earlier but Pratley couldn't quite get to the ball in time before it ran out. It led me to believe, for the first time in a long time, that there actually might be something going on at Euxton.
May the bridges I burn light your way

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sponge wrote:Highlights: http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/1 ... goals-sees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was absolutely lovely to watch. Thing is, we put together an almost identical move a few minutes earlier but Pratley couldn't quite get to the ball in time before it ran out. It led me to believe, for the first time in a long time, that there actually might be something going on at Euxton.

We live in hope!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
so.... now... the entire squad ISN'T utterly shoite and uncoachable and they shouldn't all be binned off?? I can't keep up! :wink:
It's not that simple though and you know it. Can they translate that into games they are 'expected' to win. Today was kind of a freebie. Go out and play.

But Freedman has clearly put a structure and organisation in that is helping. It's blatantly obvious.

We still need better players in some areas, or perhaps, different types of players rather than better ones.

no - it's not that simple - but you said it was. You said it was simply that the entire squad was utter shite and uncoachable and we should bin the lot of them off...
Bish, you've usually got some interesting things to say, but fer crying out loud, give it a rest. It's becoming tedious to see you trudging up what people, especially BWFC-I, said in the past, simply so you can gain some bizarre form of one-up-man-ship.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

Bish, you've usually got some interesting things to say, but fer crying out loud, give it a rest. It's becoming tedious to see you trudging up what people, especially BWFC-I, said in the past, simply so you can gain some bizarre form of one-up-man-ship.
technically the "past" - but only a couple of weeks ago!!! :conf:

they have gone from Ace-storm-the-league to shoite-every-one-of-them-bin-them-all-uncoachable - and now back again...

I just can't keep up!

my point??? it's shades of grey - not shoite/ace... changing from week to week...
Last edited by thebish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:36 pm

thebish wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

technically the "past" - but only a couple of weeks ago!!! :conf:

they have gone from Ace-storm-the-league to shoite-every-one-of-them-bin-them-all-uncoachable - and now back again...

I just can't keep up!

my point??? it's shades of grey - not shoite/ace... changing from week to week...
i dont think that your reply worked?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 pm

jaffka wrote: i dont think that your reply worked?
I didn't I boffed up the quotes before dashing off to eat sunday chilli and rice... fixed it now!

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm

One of the best losses ive been to, everyone fantastic bar Zat Knight. Alonso stood out as utterly exceptional and he showed us a sneak peak of a player with a hell of a lot of potential. I hope dougie is still trying to offer him a deal because if he can play like that more often he deserves a big one. spearing is one we should really push for on a permenant deal as well with the effort he put in today.

Only worry personally is wingers, Afobe came on for Eagles and once again offered absolutely nothing. If Gregg Wylde really is complete crap and off to the SPL then maybe we should look at a loan deal, David Bentley perhaps?

No need to look for a goal scoring striker when Sordell has scored 4 in 3, hopefully him and Lonergan will finally get the league starts they so desperately deserve

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Fair play to Alonso, I'm his biggest critic but he had a very good game yesterday. Still don't think he's cut out to be a left back, not sure what his best position is but I think he needs to be a bit further up field. Ream was solid yet again, and the defensive midfielders did a good job.

The only disappointing performances for me were from the two wingers. I don't think Lee had a great game and Eagles was as shit as he has been for the past three months. Think it's time to drop Eagles and bring someone else in.

Also, how much more threatening did we look with Sordell up front? I know he didn't have many touches of the ball but he offers so much more than Kevin Davies who just flicks the ball on to opposition defenders.

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:17 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:2-1.

Damn.
I don't get to many games but the only time I saw Everton at the bok they won 1-2 in injury time as well (2007/8). Sickening. I remember their fans were twunts then too.

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 am

No negatives from me. Good performance. Just need to back it up on Saturday!

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 am

Shame that it wont be this team that plays on Saturday, money on Kevin Davies being back in the side.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am

Riviman wrote:Shame that it wont be this team that plays on Saturday, money on Kevin Davies being back in the side.
I don't know, there's no midweek game so I don't think he can't not pick someone from Saturday's game due to a lack of fitness. With 4 in 3 it's hard to argue against Sordell being selected.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

Our goal showed why football is such a great game. So simple, so fast and so devastating. It was something you see from the best teams in the world and yet even a Sunday league side would be capable of.

One, two, three, back of the net!

Great running off the ball, a forward attacking the space and a simple but well taken finish.

Football's not a complicated game.

It's a cruel one though. We were out sledging and when my phone 'pinged' me and eldest both knew it was bad news.

Everton are the worst kind of Scousers. After Tranmere and Liverpool of course and just ahead of Chester, Wrexham and Rhyl.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 pm

That Sordell goal.. He's the only striker we have who does the most basic of basic things for a striker. He attacks the front post when we have the ball in wide areas. It's not the first time we've seen it from him. I hope it's not the last. His starting positions are perfect. in-between the centre backs and then nips in front as the ball comes in.

Davies and N'gog just don't do this. Davies, because he's scared of running in case he gets tired and N'gog, because he's scared of missing.

He's a goalscorer.. We need to keep playing him. We can play him into fitness.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:That Sordell goal.. He's the only striker we have who does the most basic of basic things for a striker. He attacks the front post when we have the ball in wide areas. It's not the first time we've seen it from him. I hope it's not the last. His starting positions are perfect. in-between the centre backs and then nips in front as the ball comes in.

Davies and N'gog just don't do this. Davies, because he's scared of running in case he gets tired and N'gog, because he's scared of missing.

Agree with most of this, especially the movement and attacking the near post.

The problem is though, that he doesn't offer an awful lot in the way of hold up play. He's neat when the ball is to feet and he's a handful when the ball goes in behind.

But on his own up front he's very reliant on us being able to play our way out and retain posession in midfield, cos mostly anything up to him will come back.

At home that shouldn't be so much of a worry.

Away at Watford? Are we good enough to go away from home and pass and keep possession to support a striker like Sordell? I'd hope so, but I'm not convinced that we'd not just end up being under pressure and lumping balls forwards and it coming straight back for long periods.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 pm

The difference in attitude between the Sordell that played the first Sunderland match and the Sordell yesterday is amazing. Looks like he just needs a bit of love. He even clapped the fans when he was subbed.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:That Sordell goal.. He's the only striker we have who does the most basic of basic things for a striker. He attacks the front post when we have the ball in wide areas. It's not the first time we've seen it from him. I hope it's not the last. His starting positions are perfect. in-between the centre backs and then nips in front as the ball comes in.

Agree with most of this, especially the movement and attacking the near post.

The problem is though, that he doesn't offer an awful lot in the way of hold up play. He's neat when the ball is to feet and he's a handful when the ball goes in behind.

But on his own up front he's very reliant on us being able to play our way out and retain posession in midfield, cos mostly anything up to him will come back.

At home that shouldn't be so much of a worry.

Away at Watford? Are we good enough to go away from home and pass and keep possession to support a striker like Sordell? I'd hope so, but I'm not convinced that we'd not just end up being under pressure and lumping balls forwards and it coming straight back for long periods.
Sometimes, mobility can be as important as the ability to hold off a defender. It'd be nice to play somebody who has both abilities (N'gog), but then we lose any chance of scoring. The extra man in midfield (Watford usually play 2 up top) can help us retain the ball and repel any pressure.

My only worry in this game is our back 4 getting butchered by some handy and quick attackers. Spearing has a big part to play on Saturday.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Really enjoyable game. I'm very philosophical after a defeat like that, gutting at the time but on reflection a hell of a lot of positives.

Vela looked very good in possession and might have a decent career at our level. Sordell looks sharp, made a few decent runs and a very good run for the goal. I can almost guarantee Davo wouldn't have got there. He is very much like Eagles, strikes me as a confidence player. Just before his goal he made a clever dribble and played in Eagles. Little things like that will do him good in the long run.

It was also noticeable how many fewer long balls we played, its been said so many times but Davo is such an easy outball that it becomes counter productive by the number of long balls we play.

And where has this form for Alonso come from? From horrible performance after another he's now churning out world class level games week in week out. He might have been the best of the two very good left backs on show.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside