Tuesday night with Venkys

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Tuesday night with Venkys

Post by Jakerbeef » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Relentless09 wrote:There is high possibility SKD won't be here next season and realistically the chances off making the play offs are very slim, it'd love to see SKD ending his career with a few starts and some goals.
I'd rather he ended his career by coming off the bench and dragging us into the prem by the scruff of our necks. Proper fairytale that.

Still think in recent memory the best player at reading his flick-ons was Cohen.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Players like Kevin Davies need a good partner, not just in ability but playing style. Both players need to be aware of what the other is going to do, and I don't think Davies has that any more. Of the three potential partners, N'gog doesn't get in great positions, and the other two have barely played alongside Davies, so you can't expect them to know each other well.

He still offers something but he could do with a partner who he has a good connection with. If he can't get that, it's probably the end for him.
KD has NEVER, EVER managed to fire up a real partnership wit anyone. Even at his very best that never happened.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Players like Kevin Davies need a good partner, not just in ability but playing style. Both players need to be aware of what the other is going to do, and I don't think Davies has that any more. Of the three potential partners, N'gog doesn't get in great positions, and the other two have barely played alongside Davies, so you can't expect them to know each other well.

He still offers something but he could do with a partner who he has a good connection with. If he can't get that, it's probably the end for him.
Thing is, for the vast majority of his career he was best as a lone target man. I think that suits him.

Playing with a partner where you need to run opposite channels or play closer with quick interchanges, neither of those suit him.

Ngog is a good link player but Davies doesn't offer movement behind the defence for him

I think KD would be useful coming on in some situations.

I just think its obvious he doesn't offer all that much starting. Against inexperienced and weak centre halves he clearly is still a good choice. But if he can't bully the centre back, and most in this division are happy against a physical striker, he struggles IMO.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 pm

"Davies out" then. Sorted.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:20 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

KD has NEVER, EVER managed to fire up a real partnership wit anyone. Even at his very best that never happened.
Yeah, that's true, but now that his legs are gone, it's his only option I think. There's no way he can play up front on his own, so he needs to be a provider for someone, if he's to have a role at all. Tough situation for him because, like you said, he's never been part of a Quinn/Phillips type partnership, so it'll be a challenge.

Sadly, I think this is all too late. I hope he can form a decent partnership but I'm not too hopeful.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm

N'Gog has been class in recent weeks, so I think it speaks volumes that he was pretty anonymous because of the presence of KD. Stick a willing runner up there, just as Davies and even Sordell have proven to be since Christmas, and it causes panic in the defence. Stick KD up there, particularly for 90 minutes, and it's a piece of piss to organise their back four as they know where exactly the ball is going to go each and every time it's lumped forward to him.

KD has been a tremendous servant and will deservedly go down as a big player in the club's history, but it was painful to see him labour through the 90 minutes. Yes, he works his nads off, but we'd all do the same if we were playing, and most likely would be doing so in an effort to make up for a lack of technical ability.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:"Davies out" then. Sorted.
Why be flippant? Surely it's hardly a shocking conclusion that his time is up.

Fantastic servant but happens to everyone one time or another.

Nobody wants to diminish what he's done for us.

But like a slowly ebbing away relative I don't want to watch him decline here. Better to remember him for the legend he was than the suffering lost soul he appears to be now.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Fantastic servant but happens to everyone one time or another.

Nobody wants to diminish what he's done for us.

But like a slowly ebbing away relative I don't want to watch him decline here. Better to remember him for the legend he was than the suffering lost soul he appears to be now.
... & then there's that bleedin' wife !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm

nahhhh - keep him - on cryogenics until we face west ham again! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
How can I argue with such logic as yours?
"Craig Davies peels out wide for the long diagonal to feet, and gets it and stretches teams with some pace and direct running. Sordell drops out into the channels for the ball into feet"
Is that in all of those full games they've both played? Let's see now, Sordell...well, there's....?
Craig Davies full games? Well, there's.....?

Like I said, Davies out. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
How can I argue with such logic as yours?
"Craig Davies peels out wide for the long diagonal to feet, and gets it and stretches teams with some pace and direct running. Sordell drops out into the channels for the ball into feet"
Is that in all of those full games they've both played? Let's see now, Sordell...well, there's....?
Craig Davies full games? Well, there's.....?

Like I said, Davies out. :wink:
I don't see how that is relevant, to the fact that KD is no longer effective the vast majority of the time. He is less effective than our other options most of the time. Not all the time but for the majority he is.

I don't see how many games they have played is really significant?

We could carry on playing Davies for 50 more years and not give others games. Still wouldn't make it the right thing to do. And given his relatively few starts, C Davies must surely have the best goals/minutes ratio of all our strikers?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 pm

The truth is it's worse than that he no longer can achieve the things he used to, but he gives away so many fould that most times we lose the ball & initiative as free kicks are awarded against us.

Whatever he's been, he isn't any longer.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -blackburn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longer highlights with Eagles full celebration.

P.S. How loud is that cheer! :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 am

Ngog or SKD with either Sordell or Cravies. Never SKD and Ngog, so for me that means he only plays when Ngog is injured/banned or needs a rest. Ngog has been in great form and was a real handful for the Blackburn defence, notably a brilliant run down the left channel stopped by a last ditch tackle, and the the assist. He is also very good with his back to goal and brings other players in far better than the other 3. If SKD plays I'd put Sordell with him, but our best bet by far is for Ngog to stay fit and on form. A new found ability to finish consistently would be nice too!

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 am

Kevin Davies should pack in. He's by far our worst striker, he's completely hopeless. It's sad because he's given a lot to the club but he's really past it now, he needs to finish at the end of this season.

We look so much better with any of the other three up front. We actually look like scoring a goal but with KD we've no chance. It's no coincidence it was 0-0 at Palace when he played and it was 0-0 last night until he went off.

Toni_DelijeSever
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Toni_DelijeSever » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 am

DJBlu wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -blackburn

doesn't work for me :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVIQoyFue0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 am

This quote from a Blackburn fan just shows where his focus is on the Bolton game,,,,this is just after Eagles slots home the last minute winner and every Blackburn fan, whether they be at the game or online, is without doubt distraught and unconsolable but then he says this...

"Sums up our season.
Been watching the united game and have to say ref got it spot on. As Roy said intent is not needed for dangerous play and in modern day football it was a clear red. Nani's diving around didn't help. I hate united and their fans"
The Voice Of Reason

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 am

Toni_DelijeSever wrote:

Neither :|

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:48 am

Vertigo wrote:
Toni_DelijeSever wrote:

Neither :|
Doubt it works for anyone outside of the U.K.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am

I've seen it all. :pissed:

:wink:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.