Petrov's bizarre interview

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

r0ckpaperscissors
Hopeful
Hopeful

Petrov's bizarre interview

Post by r0ckpaperscissors » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm

On the Bolton News Website, in the football league news video player is a video interview with Martin Petrov. (I'd copy the link but it doesn't let me.)

In it he describes his time with Bolton as a mistake and talks about how some weird incidents happened during his time at the club. It's all very cryptic and, as a result, fascinating. He also talks about how crappy the Championship is and how important it is for us to get promoted this year. Despite all of that, the summariser on the interview says that Petrov was ultimately sad to call time on his career with us.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/
contrite contrarian

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Petrov's bizarre interview

Post by Vertigo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:37 pm

What a confusing interview. Sounds arrogant and the well wishes don't seem genuine imo!

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Hasn't exactly set Espanyol alight has he?

maybe he should consider that the league he was in might not have been particularly below him

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Am I missing something? Where's the interview? :conf:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Am I missing something? Where's the interview? :conf:
in that annoying little video advert thing you usually mute

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Jez wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Am I missing something? Where's the interview? :conf:
in that annoying little video advert thing you usually mute
Ahhh got it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 pm

If his head were chocolate...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Honestly I think you're all reading way too much into that interview. Didn't come across as arrogant to me, just the fact that moving to Bolton at the time in his career may have been a bad choice. And as for him being not good enough for the Championship, dear me. 90 international caps and arguably our best player for the last few months of the Premiership would beg to differ.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:Honestly I think you're all reading way too much into that interview. Didn't come across as arrogant to me, just the fact that moving to Bolton at the time in his career may have been a bad choice. And as for him being not good enough for the Championship, dear me. 90 international caps and arguably our best player for the last few months of the Premiership would beg to differ.
I heard it the same way. He hasn't slagged us off, he said it was not a great move for him personally. I really can't disagree or get upset with anything on there.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:Honestly I think you're all reading way too much into that interview. Didn't come across as arrogant to me, just the fact that moving to Bolton at the time in his career may have been a bad choice. And as for him being not good enough for the Championship, dear me. 90 international caps and arguably our best player for the last few months of the Premiership would beg to differ.
He was a luxury player in the premiership and even more of a luxury in the championship.

Chocolate teapot IMO.

Stayed wide and stretched teams but rarely produced great end product. Certainly not consistently enough to justify his salary. And was a lazy fecker to boot.

Not the sort of player that gets a side out of the championship.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

No-one's getting upset, the bloke just thinks he's miles better than he is!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:03 pm

malcd1 wrote:
I heard it the same way. He hasn't slagged us off, he said it was not a great move for him personally. I really can't disagree or get upset with anything on there.
Same here.

People who know football understand ....
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
He was a luxury player in the premiership and even more of a luxury in the championship.

Chocolate teapot IMO.

Stayed wide and stretched teams but rarely produced great end product. Certainly not consistently enough to justify his salary. And was a lazy fecker to boot.

Not the sort of player that gets a side out of the championship.
Wouldn't say he was totally useless but agree with you on the whole. Excellent transfer decision by Dougie, big wages and didn't have the winning mentality that Dougie is trying to foster (and succeeding by the looks of things). That interview vindicates Dougie. Petrov sounds a bit like Coyle, ignoring his own deficiencies. Fact is that he was dropped regularly because he wasn't bothered often enough and had some shockers. Excellent player on his day but those days didn't come often enough for me.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 am

Few players admit they deserve to be dropped. Petrov looking at it on the whole would probably say that he kept getting dropped, the team ended up going down and then he still kept getting dropped.

^ doesn't mean he didn't deserve to be benched at times.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Good riddance lazy overated wanker
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:51 am

We were not the right side for him, nothing more nothing less. He was never going to make it in a "huff and puff" league like the Championship.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 am

I was always a bit perplexed as to why we signed Petrov.

His game is totally based around getting down the wing and firing a first time ball across the face of goal.

That's great if you've got attackers racing in and arriving on cue but frequentley either his cross was met by a yawning chasm as our strike force lumbered up field or he was forced to check back and wait like a man waiting for a bus to arrive.

I liked him, thought he was a good player. Would have liked him to have scored a few more goals but at the end of the day he'll be a player that came for a bit and then left without really leaving a massive imprint on the club.

I wish him well for the future.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 am

Bobo,

See your signtchure thing about '..I understand you are a good footballer...'

Where's that from?

Did you see the Interview Mo Farah did on US TV after winning a half-marathon the other week?

'Is this first time you've done this?'
'I beg your pardon?'
'Running, is this your first race...?'
'Errm.....'

Here it is anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... mpics-wdsu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am

coffeymagic wrote:Bobo,

See your signtchure thing about '..I understand you are a good footballer...'

Where's that from?
Did you see the Interview Mo Farah did on US TV after winning a half-marathon the other week?

'Is this first time you've done this?'
'I beg your pardon?'
'Running, is this your first race...?'
'Errm.....'

Here it is anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... mpics-wdsu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see this here... http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... n-the-mend
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 am

Ahh, right. I thought I'd seen it before just couldn't place it.

I thought it might have been a TV faux-pas.

twitter @thetonycoffey