Why Do people Leave early ??

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Why Do people Leave early ??

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 am

I've occasionally left early if I've had something else on and we've been comfortably in front or way behind. My biggest regret in football was leaving for the gents at Leicester as rickets slammed in a volley during our five goal return to the prem.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

david lee's bald patch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by david lee's bald patch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 am

Only once or twice. We left Wembley at Stoke with a couple of minutes to go, seen enough by then and I seem to remember leaving a home match once because I had a prior engagement in the evening that meant I'd better not be late!!

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:16 am

I've only ever been to one performance of a musical beat combo in my life.

Pink at Hampden Park last year when my wife's mate dropped out at the last minute. Secretly I'd been praying for that to hap- erm, I mean 'reluctanctly I agreed to go'.

It was OK, I wouldn't go to another concert, I've seen one, I've seen 'em all but what I couldn't stop watching was the constant parade of people leaving the pitch and heading off down the tunnel and back.

It was like when you see two lines of ants, one going and one coming from the nest.

Why would you pay £40 to see a gig and then spend the entire time wandering around the concourse?

I too have been to a baseball game in the States and yes it is odd.

I think a lot of people go to these things for any reason other than to watch the game.

Think it's all about a show of how 'American' you are.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 am

coffeymagic wrote:I've only ever been to one performance of a musical beat combo in my life.Pink at Hampden Park last year when my wife's mate dropped out at the last minute. Secretly I'd been praying for that to hap- erm, I mean 'reluctanctly I agreed to go'.

It was OK, I wouldn't go to another concert, I've seen one, I've seen 'em all but what I couldn't stop watching was the constant parade of people leaving the pitch and heading off down the tunnel and back.

It was like when you see two lines of ants, one going and one coming from the nest.

Why would you pay £40 to see a gig and then spend the entire time wandering around the concourse?

I think a lot of people go to these things for any reason other than to watch the game.

I should put this in the 'things that made you go 'Wow' thread. Cos, like, WOW!

I've been to hundreds of gigs and half the time is spent watching the band and the rest is getting drunk, queuing for drink (and food if it's a festival) and toilets. In my younger days it was also about walking round Donington and spotting the gaggles of denim and leather clad hunnies with a view to a clincher in the Iron Maiden set. :pissed:

Not the same as football. Gigs and festivals are far more sociable than that.

Oh, and Pink's hot.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am

If I wanted to experience the feeling of being at a festival. I'd put my telly in the garden, go for a streamy behind my setee, strew the house with litter and vomit all over my carpet.

Save my self £200 (?) in the process.

I find the thought of being surrounded by 30,000 Liam Gallagher clones, or Franci Rossies or any type of people who 'know the dance moves' completely chilling.

The only place on the planet I think could be worse would be at Crufts this weekend.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:05 am

coffeymagic wrote:If I wanted to experience the feeling of being at a festival. I'd put my telly in the garden, go for a streamy behind my setee, strew the house with litter and vomit all over my carpet.

Save my self £200 (?) in the process.

I find the thought of being surrounded by 30,000 Liam Gallagher clones, or Franci Rossies or any type of people who 'know the dance moves' completely chilling.

The only place on the planet I think could be worse would be at Crufts this weekend.
Or at the Lib Dem conference next week.
Or in North Korea anytime at all. I'd leave North Korea early.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:21 am

Prufrock wrote:I understand folk who leave early when we are being dicked. Not for me, I take a perverse enjoyment out of sitting through it, but I get it. Otherwise, even if it saves you half an hour in traffic, I just don't get it. Defeats the point. It'd be like reading 90% of a book and then reading the conclusion on Wikipedia.

I wonder if it happens over the pond. Now leaving a basketball game 5 mins early truly is pointless!
Indeed leaving 48 minutes (excluding any overtime) early is much more appropriate.

I guess it all depends on whether you've got nowt better (or more important) to do with your time than sit in traffic fo 30/40 mins after the game.

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Post by si2008 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 am

getting in late is just as bad ...some behind us missed all 3 goals against hull was in pub finishing pints off ...then they left early to get back to the pub..i cant understand why !

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 am

si2008 wrote:getting in late is just as bad ...some behind us missed all 3 goals against hull was in pub finishing pints off ...then they left early to get back to the pub..i cant understand why !
that'd be Pru..

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:34 am

si2008 wrote:getting in late is just as bad ...some behind us missed all 3 goals against hull was in pub finishing pints off ...then they left early to get back to the pub..i cant understand why !
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The leaving early is quite clearly the club's fault for shutting the bars after half time. Nobody wants to sober up at the match now do they?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:34 am

My train was late getting to the ground that day, I legged it up the stairs to see Chungy crossing the ball in to Pratley. Turned around at the top of the stairs to celebrate with my mates...who it turned out were still down below getting hot chocolate!

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 am

malcd1 wrote:An acquaintance of mine left the Bolton - Reading game when they won the penalty. He was somewhere near Birmingham when the final whistle went. :lol:
My Mate was half way down the Steps when Branigan saved the pen and decided to come back, I think he was pleased with the change of thought !
(Probably still my favorite game of all time)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 am

coffeymagic wrote:It was OK, I wouldn't go to another concert, I've seen one, I've seen 'em all but what I couldn't stop watching was the constant parade of people leaving the pitch and heading off down the tunnel and back.

All my mates went to see Springsteen at Roundhay Park in 85 (I think). I couldn't go and it wasn't until 14 years later I managed to get tickets for Springsteen at the MEN Arena, at the back and on the end of a row. Springsteen being rather more interested in his music than any extensive visuals, and me without me specs, ended up watching about an hour on the small telly nearby with people constantly wandering past to the bar.

Gave up after an hour (think he was on for about two and a half)

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 am

Been to watch Lancs or England recently at OT?

All very nice but to put about 100 seats together without a break mean if you're sat near the end of the row (like we were) you're constantly on your feet letting 99 other blokes past on their way to the lavvys.

Clive Lloyd out!

twitter @thetonycoffey

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:All my mates went to see Springsteen at Roundhay Park in 85 (I think).
So did the Good Lady Wife, sneaking in through a fence that someone had subtly loosened aforehand with a socket set. Very Yorkshire.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I think getting in late is less bad, but still stupid. I don't do it on purpose, I'm just shit at time!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:22 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The leaving early is quite clearly the club's fault for shutting the bars after half time. Nobody wants to sober up at the match now do they?
Absolute nightmare when I go to SPL games. On the lash on the way up and before the game, then two hours without boozing at the game and all you want is a Bovril.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:24 pm

World Cup, round of 16, Korea vs Italy (yes, THAT game). With 5 minutes left in regulation and down 1-0, my then girlfriend wanted to leave. I said, "Are you mad?" and we went on to score the equalizer 3 minutes later and then the golden goal.

I married someone else.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:03 am

Only time I left early was Watford at Wembley. By about 87 minutes I needed beer. So left and went to the pub. We were shit that day :(

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:I've only ever been to one performance of a musical beat combo in my life.Pink at Hampden Park last year when my wife's mate dropped out at the last minute. Secretly I'd been praying for that to hap- erm, I mean 'reluctanctly I agreed to go'.

I should put this in the 'things that made you go 'Wow' thread. Cos, like, WOW!

I've been to hundreds of gigs and half the time is spent watching the band and the rest is getting drunk, queuing for drink (and food if it's a festival) and toilets. In my younger days it was also about walking round Donington and spotting the gaggles of denim and leather clad hunnies with a view to a clincher in the Iron Maiden set. :pissed:

Not the same as football. Gigs and festivals are far more sociable than that.

Oh, and Pink's hot.

Which year Gary??
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...