Why Do people Leave early ??

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Why Do people Leave early ??

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:35 pm

I suppose this has been banded about before, but last night people were leaving with 5 minutes left plus stoppage time :conf:

The game was on a knife edge and critical to boot, when the goal went it I went absolutely mental, moments like that are one of the reasons I love going to the game, I just dont get why so many leave with so long left. I don't accept this bullshit that they want to avoid the traffic, I nornally have at least an hours travel back to North Wales after every game, so find it odd that someone would want to miss the end of a game so they can be home 15 mins early.

I would accept if we were 4-0 down with 30 seconds to go as a reason, but nights like last night are there to be savoured :oyea: If anyone has any decent reasons/excuses I'd be glad to hear them.

PS. I thought Medo had a decent first 90 mins run out :D

wanderer10
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Why Do people Leave early ??

Post by wanderer10 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

I have to be honest I was one of the ones who left early and missed the goal last night. I went as the board went up for stoppage time and obvioasly now wish I hadnt.

The main reason I leave early, which I do every match, is to miss the traffic and avoid any idiots (as I have to walk passed the away end on the way to the car). If I was on my own I wouldnt be bothered but going with the missus its easier to just get away in good time.

9 times out of 10 il be glad ive left as im home much earlier and ive missed nothing. Last night was one of the times I wish I hadn't, ah well..
"In 1874 boys of Christchurch Sunday School along with their master Thomas Ogden established a football club which went under the name of the school. The club broke away in 1877 and became Bolton Wanderers Football Club"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Dont get it either but I walk home from the match so not a big deal to me. The couple on our row left on 83 minutes :shock:

Where were you wanderer10 when it went in? Did you hear it and did you know it was us that scored?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

wanderer10
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wanderer10 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Dont get it either but I walk home from the match so not a big deal to me. The couple on our row left on 83 minutes :shock:

Where were you wanderer10 when it went in? Did you hear it and did you know it was us that scored?

I was just getting in the car (across on parklands). And yes I knew it was us.. The noise was unreal!
"In 1874 boys of Christchurch Sunday School along with their master Thomas Ogden established a football club which went under the name of the school. The club broke away in 1877 and became Bolton Wanderers Football Club"

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:26 pm

I never leave early, yet I'm home within 40 minutes of full time

Walk about 10 minutes to free parking and straight out on my way

10 mile trip

I'd park somewhere different if I had to leave early to beat the traffic
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Aye, we park on Viccy Road. Home easy. Never left early, not once. Been there late mind :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

I park on the retail park because I'm a lazy (and tight) sod. Usually back in Leigh within 45 minutes of getting back in the car. Only ever left one BWFC game early and that was the play-off final against Watford just after they scored near the end.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

I wasn't there last night. I can't do Tuesday games.

I almost always move from my seat on the next to back-row of the lower as the added-time board is lifted. I walk toward the front and occupy a seat which has been vacated down there ... there are always ones available. I stay till the whistles go & I'm gone, there & then.

I park on Tesco's (booked once in 10 years) and start my 65 mile journey. If I do that I'm home in an hour & a bit. If I sat in my seat I would barely be at my car inside 25 minutes & possibly not on the M61 by the time I could have got home.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I never leave early, yet I'm home within 40 minutes of full time

10 mile trip

Same as - only, I couldn't give a feck about 'beating the traffic'. I've gone to the match - that's the whole purpose of my being there - I won't be missing any of it and that's that. Traffic is traffic is traffic. It's immaterial.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:I never leave early, yet I'm home within 40 minutes of full time

10 mile trip

Same as - only, I couldn't give a feck about 'beating the traffic'. I've gone to the match - that's the whole purpose of my being there - I won't be missing any of it and that's that. Traffic is traffic is traffic. It's immaterial.
It is when you live in Halliwell !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:Aye, we park on Viccy Road. Home easy. Never left early, not once. Been there late mind :D
My Mrs lives not too far from there and I always park at hers, never an issue when you park there especially if you go into Horwich or down towards Rivi rather than the Beehive.

Never understood leaving early. If you want to miss the traffic, just get a bit of a jog on or a fast walk and you end up missing most of it anyway, or go and pick up a few supermarket things and you're sorted!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:54 am

I was scratching my head the other night. I assumed there was a secret Tuesday club that I wasn't invited to. People must have better things to do at 10 O'clock on a Tuesday night. I wanted to know where they were off to and if I could tag along!

I don't get it. What's the point in buying something and leaving the most important bit of it? I don't get the traffic issue either.. Each to their own and that, but there isn't really much of it nowadays is there? And I use the bus service. Bus to Walkden then walk home to Ellenbrook. Home by 10:30.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:08 am

In the days when I used the match buses for most games, there used to be folk who would leave early just to make sure they got a seat on the bus.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:10 am

I've never ever left a match early, and I never ever intend to either.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:12 am

Do the people who leave the match early (for traffic reasons) use the same logic at other events also. Would they, for example, go to a Led Zep reunion gig and leave before the encore just to get home a little early? Madness.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 am

I left very early against Chelsea last year

If I hadn't done, I'd have killed the special one in white trainers and socks to his knees

Also left Arsenal in time to be supping at St Pancras at full time

I hate Owen Coyle
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 am

I don't leave early but like Caps had to a few times with the last bloke in charge. It was too painful to watch!

But when I used to live away from the North West and going meant a 2 or 3 hour drive there and back, evening games were a pain. Cos often I'd leave work at say 4, get to the Reebok at 7-7.30 watch the game, get home 1am or 2 am and need to be up again at 5.30am for work. I was tempted to leave early then, but equally we were at our height at the time and it was impossible to tear myself away without seeing the full time whistle go.

If I was doing that now, I suspect I might have left just a couple of minutes early on the night matches!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:08 am

I can see that people with young kids might want to beat the traffic. Otherwise I'm guessing people don't get home that late.

What I don't understand is the people who get to their seats after kick off, go down for a pie/pint before half time, are back up again after kick off and then leave early. They might as well not turn up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:09 am

Occasionally do a runner early, balance between home in 15 minutes and home in 45. Generally when I shouldn't have gone in the first place because of work commitments.

Only time I've flirted early where I can recall missing owt was Stelios 90+ minute goal against Derby about 4/5 years ago. It was that fecking cold and such a poor game, didn't think I'd missed much at all to be honest.

I did once leave after 20 minutes, with "manflu" - but that was against Fulham and our statutory 0-0 draw, so I missed nowt then.

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:27 am

Never left early.

I get to the ground before lunch (1pm) and park up near the front of the car park next Car park C then walk to my mums for lunch on the housing estate the otherside of ASDA.

Then after the game I run down the stairs and run to the car and I'm home in 25min tops to the other side of manchester by the trafford center.