Away at Mick McCarthy's Super Ipswich Town

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Away at Mick McCarthy's Super Ipswich Town

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Really, no, really? We're in the Championship instead of being in the Premiership because we didn't score enough goals and let too many soft ones in, no other reason. I'm tired of reading terms like structure, cohesion and movement as what we lack. What we lack is the ability to get the ball in the opponents' nets and keep it out of ours. That, despite all the fancy terms, is what football's about.....or does the term "striker" suddenly just mean footballer?
if that's your view - you'd best revise your opinion on KD - he has been failing to find the net consistently for a long time!!

in order to "get the ball in the opponents nets" - you need to move and make runs so that you are in the right place at the right time - hence "movement" - a striker needs to know where to run - which channels to employ - when to take a gamble on sprinting for the far post - maybe add a bit of deception into his movement - a feignt, a dummy - he needs to move when he hasn't got the ball to make space or drag defenders out of position... - movement I'm sure you know this really... without movement off the ball it would just be a penalty shootout.
Thanks for the football lesson. Glad all that's just been invented. See, I always thought twenty plus grand a week footballers were supposed to know what to do? As for KD (must have a dig at him), despite not being chosen regularly and not scoring since November, it's a bit off-putting to find he's still joint-second highest scorer amongst all these "strikers".
Well thats cos he's played considerably more games than any of the others isn't it?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Really, no, really? We're in the Championship instead of being in the Premiership because we didn't score enough goals and let too many soft ones in, no other reason. I'm tired of reading terms like structure, cohesion and movement as what we lack. What we lack is the ability to get the ball in the opponents' nets and keep it out of ours. That, despite all the fancy terms, is what football's about.....or does the term "striker" suddenly just mean footballer?
if that's your view - you'd best revise your opinion on KD - he has been failing to find the net consistently for a long time!!

in order to "get the ball in the opponents nets" - you need to move and make runs so that you are in the right place at the right time - hence "movement" - a striker needs to know where to run - which channels to employ - when to take a gamble on sprinting for the far post - maybe add a bit of deception into his movement - a feignt, a dummy - he needs to move when he hasn't got the ball to make space or drag defenders out of position... - movement I'm sure you know this really... without movement off the ball it would just be a penalty shootout.
Thanks for the football lesson. Glad all that's just been invented. See, I always thought twenty plus grand a week footballers were supposed to know what to do? As for KD (must have a dig at him), despite not being chosen regularly and not scoring since November, it's a bit off-putting to find he's still joint-second highest scorer amongst all these "strikers".
Well thats cos he's played considerably more games than any of the others isn't it?
Thanks, my football education is now complete. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thanks, my football education is now complete. :|
I think that's more basic maths really. Gove will be pleased! :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:You can be the best finisher in the world but unless you get into the right positions and time your runs and make the right runs, you won't score many.
As Mr Owen testifies.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

none of that was at issue. what I was responding to was your somewhat baffling post which seemed to suggest that "movement" was nothing to do with it. of course it is!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

none of that was at issue. what I was responding to was your somewhat baffling post which seemed to suggest that "movement" was nothing to do with it. of course it is!!!
Did you miss the bold bit then? My post was all about all the movement in the world count's for naught if strikers don't score goals. What exactly is baffling about that?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Did you miss the bold bit then? My post was all about all the movement in the world count's for naught if strikers don't score goals. What exactly is baffling about that?

as i think you know, what I was responding to (and other also) was this:
TANGODANCER wrote:What exactly is the movement of a proper striker? Surely the aim of a striker is to hit the net?
when you ask a question - what exactly is the movement of a proper striker? - there's no need to jump out of your pram if people try to answer it for you.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:59 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

TANGODANCER wrote:What exactly is the movement of a proper striker? Surely the aim of a striker is to hit the net?
when you ask a question - what exactly is the movement of a proper striker? - there's no need to jump out of your pram if people try to answer it for you.
Well, my answers,opinions are always jumping out of prams, dummy spitting, knicker-twisting etc, whilst your own are soooo sensible and balanced. Well done sir, you're a truly wonderful chap. Get you last word in....now!...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Well, my answers,opinions are always jumping out of prams, dummy spitting, knicker-twisting etc, whilst your own are soooo sensible and balanced. Well done sir, you're a truly wonderful chap. Get you last word in....now!...
an emoticon will have to do... :conf:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I think th whole point of this is that if we find a goalscorer and put him with Ngog Or Cravies it will be a ding dong do. I'll be a poacher type player would love playing alongside Ngog.
Anyway enough all this striker movement talk. I preferred the discussion of thebish's bowel movements the other day. Far more interesting.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:06 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I think th whole point of this is that if we find a goalscorer and put him with Ngog Or Cravies it will be a ding dong do. I'll be a poacher type player would love playing alongside Ngog.
Anyway enough all this striker movement talk. I preferred the discussion of thebish's bowel movements the other day. Far more interesting.

*I'll bet a poacher type...etc

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I think th whole point of this is that if we find a goalscorer and put him with Ngog Or Cravies it will be a ding dong do. I'll be a poacher type player would love playing alongside Ngog.
something's caused a logjam...