The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Re: The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:36 am

and blue stripes on the arms.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am

Dougie was just asked about Rhodes on that twitter "AskDougie" thing....

Answer....

"Being an ex-forward I admire Jordan as a player. At the moment he's a Blackburn player".

Using the first name, being cagey but with a big implied wink with the use of "at the moment".

Has he been getting lessons off Arry?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Dougie was just asked about Rhodes on that twitter "AskDougie" thing....

Answer....

"Being an ex-forward I admire Jordan as a player. At the moment he's a Blackburn player".

Using the first name, being cagey but with a big implied wink with the use of "at the moment".

Has he been getting lessons off Arry?
More to the point. Have any gates been erected recently?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:21 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Rhodes may well be in his sights ... who knows ... but I'd prefer to see Dawson fixed in the cross-hairs first.
Don't agree.. I'd rather have the guaranteed goals, personally. I do think Wheater will be absolutely fine this season.

I'd like both, but I wouldn't chalk off the potential of signing Rhodes so we could get Dawson in.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:22 pm

I've just seen Dougie driving round Media City with his window open

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh and the upshot of all the Rhodes talk is that it is very embarrassing for the Bolton News.

Having stated that the club were "categorically denying it" and stood by that, Iles in his own "webchat" has had to concede that Dougie clearly isn't denying it.

Did anyone notice the BN article this morning that had quotes that essentially say very little, but certainly don't deny interest or an impending bid, was slanted towards Dougie dismissing the rumours? Headline of something like "Freedman discusses FICTION of Rhodes rumours" yeah but the quotes were nothing like that.

Reckon the Bolton News are embarrassed that their sources are clearly shite and that Nixon has all their exclusives on twitter two days before they even know the stories themselves.

Edit: And Iles has said this in response to a question about future targets......" I might be old fashioned, but I really think that kind of thing should go in a newspaper, or at least a paper's website, not Twitter.
I absolutely don't claim to know everything and often find myself chasing stuff at this time of the year just the same as you guys.
But what I write in the paper reflects the information that is being passed to me at the point of writing. It can change, and often does. It's my job to try and keep on top of that because I have two or three pages of Bolton Wanderers stuff to write six days a week. And that's not always easy!
Nobody knows everything going on at a football club and the longer I work around them, the more I realise that includes people at the actual club too.
But I can promise that the paper works very, very hard to produce an entertaining and informative product - football or otherwise. "

Definitely getting snarky.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Totally agree. I think when we were in the Premier League, the BN could accept that they wouldn't be getting a whole lot out of the club because of the media attention the Premier creates.

They are probably bitter as fvck now that the club haven't gone crawling over to Neil Bonnar with their tails between their legs.

The best bit about that article was the thinly veiled swipe at the fans for believing Nixon over him..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:Totally agree. I think when we were in the Premier League, the BN could accept that they wouldn't be getting a whole lot out of the club because of the media attention the Premier creates.

They are probably bitter as fvck now that the club haven't gone crawling over to Neil Bonnar with their tails between their legs.

The best bit about that article was the thinly veiled swipe at the fans for believing Nixon over him..
The Bolton News have always been a poor with their coverage of Wanderers.

Compare them to other local papers and they are quite a way behind with information and the quality of the stories isn't great.

Many local journalists do release a lot of info on twitter as well.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 pm

It seems to me like Iles is scared of giving opinions about anything. You can see why he might be: either he doesn't have any or he doesn't want to offend his readership... or offend the club so they'll say even less to him. All that leaves us with are press releases and interviews with the same players over and over.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Totally agree. I think when we were in the Premier League, the BN could accept that they wouldn't be getting a whole lot out of the club because of the media attention the Premier creates.

The Bolton News have always been a poor with their coverage of Wanderers.

Compare them to other local papers and they are quite a way behind with information and the quality of the stories isn't great.

Many local journalists do release a lot of info on twitter as well.
For someone living in Jamaica, its my best source for information, apart from this forum, and I look forward to reading it every morning. I think its good to be honest.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't know at what point we all became bored enough to start picking sides between BWFC-related journalists.

To be fair to Iles, it's usually left to him to flesh out Nixon's rumours. Presumably he went down to Euxton and got those quotes about Rhodes.
Last edited by Tombwfc on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I don't know at what point we all became bored enough to start picking sides between BWFC-related journalists.

To be fair to Iles, it's usually left to him to flesh out Nixon's rumours. Presumably it was him who went down to Euxton and got those quotes about Rhodes.

it's basically a BWFCi mission....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Blackburn manager Gary Bowyer has insisted Scotland striker Jordan Rhodes will not leave the club following reported interest from Bolton.

Rovers spent £8m to sign the 23-year-old from Huddersfield and he scored 28 goals in all competitions during his first season at Ewood Park.

Bowyer told BBC Radio Lancashire: "I'll keep on having to say it until the end of August - he's not for sale.

"I've spoken to Jordan and he's more than happy here."

hmmmmmm...... coded confirmation that he's ours! the window closes 11pm on 2nd September..... :wink:
Last edited by thebish on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

thebish wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I don't know at what point we all became bored enough to start picking sides between BWFC-related journalists.

To be fair to Iles, it's usually left to him to flesh out Nixon's rumours. Presumably it was him who went down to Euxton and got those quotes about Rhodes.

it's basically a BWFCi mission....
No mission. I'm quite interested into how the local paper have been pushed out to the periphery.

Perhaps they were always there but we didn't notice before the days of twitter, sky sports news and 24 hour live information.

I think Iles is ok and does a decent enough job. I don't think the BN's coverage is that great, but I guess they struggle to make ends meet nowadays.

But it just seems like a long time since the BN was a must read every day for the latest gossip........

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Again, maybe I have lower standards but I found Marc Iles's webchat an interesting read, after the fact. He's spent two hours answering a fair few questions to the best of his knowledge (or ability, as hampered by the usual bounds of journalistic tact) and that's to be applauded.

I remember when, in these summer months, you'd hear frig-all from one week to the next. After the last game of the season was rounded up, you'd get a released list at the start of June, and unless we actually signed someone the next you'd see of BWFC was Julian Darby & Co. in cricket whites at a charity game just before pre-season training started. Now we have daily, almost hourly updates, and obviously a lot of that is going to be speculation or ITK willy-waggling. If it annoys you, there are other things to do.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Perhaps they were always there but we didn't notice before the days of twitter, sky sports news and 24 hour live information speculation.
Fixed that for you. There is very little news on 24 hour live news/sports...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: But it just seems like a long time since the BN was a must read every day for the latest gossip........
Probably because it's a town newspaper, of which football is just a part, competing against the internet football Twitterati.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Jermaine Beckford ‏@RealJBeckford3m
Im a bolton man #bwfc

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:17 pm

is that actually beckford though? looks like a fake account.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 pm

mrkint wrote:is that actually beckford though? looks like a fake account.
Looks real to me
Last edited by ChrisC on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.