The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Official BWFC ‏@OfficialBWFC 3m
DF: "We spoke to Liverpool and their valuation was too high. Please do not believe the price that some journalist makes up."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Bravo Inns ‏@BravoInns 35m
@OfficialBWFC Dougie is the signing of Jay Spearing a realistic proposition for BWFC

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Saw in one paper, today, Blackburn have got Spearing for 1.75 mil. "Sexy" loans? W.T.F does that mean coming from a Bolton manager? Have they got lace on their underpants?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:56 pm

ChrisC wrote:Official BWFC ‏@OfficialBWFC 3m
DF: "We spoke to Liverpool and their valuation was too high. Please do not believe the price that some journalist makes up."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Bravo Inns ‏@BravoInns 35m
@OfficialBWFC Dougie is the signing of Jay Spearing a realistic proposition for BWFC
Marc Iles is reporting that Blackburn are claiming to have agreed a fee of £1.75M. Nixon reckons that Liverpool quoted us £3M earlier in the summer and since dropped the price for Blackburn after negotiation. Be interesting to see what happens. If he goes to Blackburn it ain't going to be for £3M as they are skint.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Nixon reckons that Liverpool quoted us £3M earlier in the summer and since dropped the price for Blackburn after negotiation.
I would be very surprised if Liverpool had all but halved their asking price. Since the bonkers summer when FSG had just taken over and splurged on Carroll/Henderson/Downing (albeit helped by a £50m Torres windfall), they've become hard hagglers: they may have spent £23m on three players in the last month but if they make £3m from their 35% sell-on clause when Tom Ince leaves Blackpool, Rodgers has zero net spend this summer.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm

"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:03 pm

100 pages into this thread; where's the big signing? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:14 pm

According to reports Bolton Wanderers are facing losing out on Leicester City striker Jermaine Beckford.

It is understood that Beckford had agreed to join Wanderers on a free transfer provided the Foxes agreed to a severance package.

The far-travelled forward still has two years on his contact with Leicester worth around £3 million in wages.

Beckford wanted a pay-off to cover his drop in salary at the Reebok, but SportsDirect News claims the Foxes owners are reluctant to meet the striker's demand.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:18 pm

ChrisC wrote:
SportsDirect News
/clunk/

think we've hit rock-bottom

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:18 pm

ChrisC wrote:
According to reports Bolton Wanderers are facing losing out on Leicester City striker Jermaine Beckford.

It is understood that Beckford had agreed to join Wanderers on a free transfer provided the Foxes agreed to a severance package.

The far-travelled forward still has two years on his contact with Leicester worth around £3 million in wages.

Beckford wanted a pay-off to cover his drop in salary at the Reebok, but SportsDirect News claims the Foxes owners are reluctant to meet the striker's demand.
That's a re-hash of the story Nixon put out earlier. Already reported on here.

Leicester have to pay him off 3M and won't. But can't play him again as then they owe Everton money.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Not me, so ha! In fact, I'm so convinced we are, that I literally, absolutely, cannot believe we aren't. I can't see anything other than us being in for Jay Spearing :cool:

I can see another loan coming on with view to a permanent deal at the end of the season.

Spearing will turn down Blackburn and leave Liverpool no choice but to accept 8)

Rovers have Spearing bid accepted

7:00am Tuesday 9th July 2013 in Sport By Marc Iles

WANDERERS are running out of time to enter the race to sign Jay Spearing.

Lancashire rivals Blackburn Rovers have agreed a £1.75million fee for the Liverpool midfielder, who spent last season on loan at the Reebok.

The Ewood Park club are currently trying to raise the cash to fund the deal – which is likely to happen in the next few days with exits expected for striker Mauro Formica and defender Martin Olsson.

But while Wanderers fans are desperate to see the Anfield academy graduate back at the club, it looks highly unlikely Freedman will be handed enough cash to match the asking price – news that is likely to sting should the player end up wearing blue and white halves next term.

Spearing ideally wants to remain in the Premier League but sources close to the 24-year-old believe he would pick Wanderers above anyone else in the Championship were they to match Rovers’ bid.

Freedman, who is in Spain with his squad, has reserved most of his free cash for improving his attacking options and has been hinting for the last fortnight a winger and a striker would be the next positions on his list.

Spearing’s apparent availability may now affect his thinking – and few signings would be better received on the Reebok terraces than the Scouse terrier, who was arguably the club’s most consistent player last season.

Speaking to The Bolton News just before the weekend, Freedman admitted he has work to do in the transfer market before being completely happy with his squad for the new season.

“I’ve still got a way to go in terms of having an all-round squad,” he said. “I want a squad that is pushing each other and I felt in certain games last season that I looked at the bench and it wasn’t strong enough.

“I am comfortable with my starting 11 but I am still uncomfortable with the squad as a whole.

“I have said many times that I felt it was a bit imbalanced at times and that’s maybe where the ins and outs will come in. I think it’s good for the club to freshen things up.

“A good bench is key in the Championship – with Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday games coming up as often as they do.

“I felt last season that we slipped up on one or two midweek games. That was the key.”

Medo Kamara would be the player most equipped to step into Spearing’s defensive midfield role, but the lack of cover in that position may well be a concern for the Wanderers boss.

The first bit is worrying, the second bit makes me hope ChrisC is right about Spearing forcing the issue.
A little dig at Coyle there :D .
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jmjhb wrote:I see there's now a spoof Nicko account :lol:

Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko Protected account 6m
@reluctantnick0 Listen, tw*t. Close this down or I will seek u out And contact any of my family and your head comes off.

:shock:
Feck me. Must be some really bored people out there.
:D , it is hilarious though. :lmfao:.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Personally I can not see the point in signing Rhodes or Beckford. Beckford proved to be a flash in the pan and has had one maybe 1.5 good seasons in his carrier, Rhodes I believe will also be a flash in the pan and clearly is not going to get any better (he is IMO already past his best and if I was a poultry farmer I would be looking to sell him as they will always get more money for him then he is worth). Instead I would look to sign Austin as he has a lot more to his game (unlike Rhodes who is well known for just scoring goals, I.E when he doesn't score goals he is basically a ghost) and has a much better work rate having spent many years playing non league and he will of course be much cheaper than Rhodes because Blackburn reckon they are a big club and are run by tycoons, Burnley know they are a small club and therefore will bite at a halve decent offer especially if it helps keep the finances tidy. However this is all based on Austin getting himself match fit in the coming weeks.

SUMMARY: Austin cheap and hard working striker who will add to any team he plays in massively, Rhodes expensive tap in artist who is basically pointless without his goals, Beckford proven flash in the pan but at least he might be free.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm

As much as I enjoyed Spearing's performances and work rate I would begrudge paying the asking price. £1.75m in today's market isn't that much but it is still a hefty amount that should arguably be spent elsewhere. We spent £4m on Muamba in 2008 when we sold Nolan for the same amount. I would say there are plenty of heavy work rate players out there with enough quality to do us a job in the CDM role for next season. We already have one of those in Medo Kamara and I have every faith we can get another like Spearing. Maybe not as talented or as hard working but the differences IMO are not worth the £1.75m. If we were to get another player in I would much prefer it to go on our more attacking players. Heck we signed Gary Speed for £250k and look how well that turned out without having to splash over £1m.

We've had plenty of players over the years that could do a job for us in that position, whether its converted CB's (Warhurst, Campo) or just talented footballers that can't hold down a first team slot (Joey O'Brien). There's seemingly an abundance of players capable of playing CDM. The ones where there isn't an abundance such as the ones we need, those are the ones we should be spending money to strengthen.

Lets not forget, Reo-Coker was a free agent for quite some time after leaving us and he certainly would strengthen squads, so there is talent floating around for that position without breaking the bank.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Personally I can not see the point in signing Rhodes or Beckford. Beckford proved to be a flash in the pan and has had one maybe 1.5 good seasons in his carrier, Rhodes I believe will also be a flash in the pan and clearly is not going to get any better (he is IMO already past his best and if I was a poultry farmer I would be looking to sell him as they will always get more money for him then he is worth). Instead I would look to sign Austin as he has a lot more to his game (unlike Rhodes who is well known for just scoring goals, I.E when he doesn't score goals he is basically a ghost) and has a much better work rate having spent many years playing non league and he will of course be much cheaper than Rhodes because Blackburn reckon they are a big club and are run by tycoons, Burnley know they are a small club and therefore will bite at a halve decent offer especially if it helps keep the finances tidy. However this is all based on Austin getting himself match fit in the coming weeks.

SUMMARY: Austin cheap and hard working striker who will add to any team he plays in massively, Rhodes expensive tap in artist who is basically pointless without his goals, Beckford proven flash in the pan but at least he might be free.
F u c k

o f f

D a n

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Personally I can not see the point in signing Rhodes or Beckford. Beckford proved to be a flash in the pan and has had one maybe 1.5 good seasons in his carrier, Rhodes I believe will also be a flash in the pan and clearly is not going to get any better (he is IMO already past his best and if I was a poultry farmer I would be looking to sell him as they will always get more money for him then he is worth). Instead I would look to sign Austin as he has a lot more to his game (unlike Rhodes who is well known for just scoring goals, I.E when he doesn't score goals he is basically a ghost) and has a much better work rate having spent many years playing non league and he will of course be much cheaper than Rhodes because Blackburn reckon they are a big club and are run by tycoons, Burnley know they are a small club and therefore will bite at a halve decent offer especially if it helps keep the finances tidy. However this is all based on Austin getting himself match fit in the coming weeks.

Is this a joke?

'Rhodes who is well known for just scoring goals,'

I reckon if we 'just' had these goals we would at least got the playoffs!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:16 pm

According to Dan, Rhodes is only good for tap ins.. Here is a video of all the tap ins that Rhodes scored last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzrVYn8Df5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might want to mute it :lol:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

ChrisC wrote:According to Dan, Rhodes is only good for tap ins.. Here is a video of all the tap ins that Rhodes scored last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzrVYn8Df5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might want to mute it :lol:
I was thinking of a suitable reply to Dan's post. You are it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Rhodes only known for his goal scoring.........Oh dear Dan.

Did you think the same of Anelka, Klasnic? Would you have said the same about Andy Walker?

We need a goal scorer, a predator. Hard working forwards are alright but if they don't score goals we're not getting promoted. Simple enough
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Rhodes only known for his goal scoring.........Oh dear Dan.

Did you think the same of Anelka, Klasnic? Would you have said the same about Andy Walker?

We need a goal scorer, a predator. Hard working forwards are alright but if they don't score goals we're not getting promoted. Simple enough
Dan has a point though. Rhodes has played one season in the championship and his price appears to be £9M plus. More than we paid for Anelka, a player who'd played at the top of the game, done it in various leagues and proven his ability at international level.

To pay that for Rhodes who has had one championship season would be a risk. A massive risk.

Beckford and Rhodes goalscoring records at Leeds and Huddersfield are virtually identical. What if Rhodes has a season or two where his goals dry up a bit? It's happened to many before. Then you have a very expensive player who you can't shift.

It is a risk. And entirely different to buying Anelka.

Not saying we shouldn't buy him, because we need a goalscorer. It's just the price that seems madness to me. There are no guarantees he will maintain form. And there is not enough history from him yet to pay over the odds at this stage IMO.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 pm

No YOU have a point about the relative fees paid for Rhodes and Anelka. Dan didn't make that point, he simply dismissed a tally of 28 as 'just scoring goals' as if it were insignificant.