The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Sordell and Craig Davies to be honest. Neither offer much of what we need.
Craig Davies is a grafter who I reckon could get you 10 goals a season.

I certainly think he's worth a squad place at the very least.
Squad place maybe.. But he's the least intelligent runner I've seen since.. Well since Davo last seaosn to be honest, but that's besides the point. He's got an absolute rocket of a shot when he (rarely) connects properly and he's a decent athlete, but he just doesn't look like he's 'got it' to me.. I may be proven wrong, but a guy of his size and athelticism should be absolutely pummeling some of the soft arse defenders we see in this league, but he just doesn't.
He did at Leicester, and was unlucky with a couple of cracking shots, one off the bar. You're right about consistency though, but I've seen enough to want to give him a crack after a full pre-season. He also seems to come on a as sub and be up for it, no sulking. Speaking of which I agree also that I'd like to get shut of Sordell. I think we're flogging dead horse with that lad, should cut our losses. He'll probably do OK somewhere back in London, get rid but with sell-ons just in case.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:02 pm

thebish wrote:i've never heard of Wilkinson - when did he arrive!!!

ahhh - Conor - now that rings a bell... is he expected to be in contention for the first team? I thought he was a teen-for-the-future purchase..
Freedman has said that both he and Hayden White have been signed as youngsters but are welcome to prove they're up to the first-team mark.
I feel like we have taken advantage of a situation to get two exciting young players on board. I’m trying to build a good all-round squad. Younger players are going to get opportunities here if they work hard, and I have brought these two here in the full knowledge of that. If they work hard, listen, and improve their game, they will get their chance. That’s the way I like to work. But this isn’t just a case of bringing them in to put them straight into a development squad.
That said, if Wilkinson in particular gets more than the odd sniff in this first season I'd be surprised... delighted if it's because he's great, rather than others being cack or crocked...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:33 pm

From BWFC twitter:
#BWFC have completed the signing of young striker Conor Wilkinson from Millwall on a three-year deal.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 pm

they must have read this thread and thought 'oh shit, we've forgotten about that'.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:45 pm

mrkint wrote:they must have read this thread and thought 'oh shit, we've forgotten about that'.
Possibly. They certainly didn't use a PSG pic from Euxton.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 pm

I hope Dougie hasn't forgotten about centre half and central midfield positions.

It'd be nice to get Dawson back but I doubt it's that likely. But we do need a proper centre back who can defend. You might even argue we need two.

We also need another CM for me (otherwise our main back up is the risky Holden and returning from injury Andrews). Again I'm not at all fussed about Spearing but would like us to find a similar combative type if possible, only cheaper!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I hope Dougie hasn't forgotten about centre half and central midfield positions.

It'd be nice to get Dawson back but I doubt it's that likely. But we do need a proper centre back who can defend. You might even argue we need two.

We also need another CM for me (otherwise our main back up is the risky Holden and returning from injury Andrews). Again I'm not at all fussed about Spearing but would like us to find a similar combative type if possible, only cheaper!
We are back in for Sainsbury.

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Post by si2008 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

so has beckford signed yet..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 pm

ChrisC wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I hope Dougie hasn't forgotten about centre half and central midfield positions.

We are back in for Sainsbury.
Yeah but no real sign of much happening with that. He's back in Australia.

I'd like people who know this division ideallly. We've got a lot of younger players now bubbling in and around the first team.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Looks like a fee has been agreed for Sam Ricketts:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wol ... s-signing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Good
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Go on then what's the damage, how much are we giving them for him?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:40 pm

A fee!? Jesus Christ! Talk about kicking a club when it's down.
BWFC_Insane wrote: He was on loan at Huddersfield who couldn't afford his wages to buy him, but would have liked to. 8 goals in 34 games for Everton is hardly shabby either.

Based on minutes on the pitch last season for Huddersfield he averaged 1 every 180 minutes so one every two games.

His goalscoring record at Leeds is virtually identical to Rhodes at Huddersfield.

Definitely more of a goalscorer than anyone currently in our squad.

Question marks are over temperament and workrate for me. Hopefully Dougie can get the best out of him.
Huddersfield were happy to pay a large chunk of his wages last year, so presumably would be able to match what we're offering. As far as I can tell, they never showed any interest in signing him permanently. When the end of the season came Robins said publicly that he'd like to bring back James Vaughan (who will cost them about the same as Beckford will cost us), but simply wished Beckford well on his way.

I'm not sure what relevance his League One record has, or a comparison between him and Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes has since proven that he can be prolific in the Championship and scored more goals in the division last year than Beckford has in his entire life. He's also six years younger than Beckford.

Championship scoring records:
Craig Davies (Barnsley, Bolton) - 27 years old - 23 goals, 78 apps - 0.29 goals per game
Marvin Sordell (Watford, Bolton) - 22 years old - 25 goals, 94 apps - 0.26 goals per game
Jermaine Beckford (Leicester City, Huddersfield) - 29 years old - 17 goals, 64 apps - 0.26 goals per game
David Ngog (Bolton) - 24 years old - 8 goals, 31 apps - 0.25 goals per game

I'm not outraged by it by any stretch - like I said I'm sure he will manage a respectable tally of goals. I just think it's a strange one given that we already have an incredibly similar player already in Sordell, but one who is much younger and cost us £3m.
Last edited by Tombwfc on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:30 pm

thebish wrote:ok - Dan's updated list of Bolton strikers (template form Bish's list of strikers)...

Beckford (cant really see why we signed him, but I guess we should give him at least a season.)
Cravies (keep)
Clough (get rid)
Wilkinson (Now that signing makes sense)
Eaves (get rid)
Ngog (keep)
Odelusi (get rid)
Sordell (get rid, even for free)
Hall (Another pointless signing, get rid for nothing if need be)
O'Halloran (Get rid)
some say - Eagles.. (Doogie, defend him with your life because those bigger clubs are a coming)

And that has thinned are wage bill and brought in some cash to spend on some useful players !
Last edited by bwfcdan94 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
thebish wrote:ok - Bish's updated list of Bolton strikers...

Beckford
Cravies
Clough
Wilkinson
Eaves
Ngog
Odelusi
Sordell
Hall
O'Halleran
some say - Eagles..

seems like a lot to me!

:conf:
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
thebish wrote:ok - Bish's updated list of Bolton strikers...

Beckford
Cravies
Clough
Wilkinson
Eaves
Ngog
Odelusi
Sordell
Hall
O'Halleran
some say - Eagles..

seems like a lot to me!
:conf:
Jealous at Zulu's new tactic of one-word messages ... going one better (or is that minus one better ... or worse ???)
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:20 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Filling two long term week areas ... full back ... both of whom were out of contact, and catching a highly rated youngster who was here last year seems just a case of knowing what you want. .... I think !!

A couple of "ones for the future is, again, making up for our poor showing of development from the ranks.

Beckford, as I say, could well be the precursor to Sordell .... & maybe N'Gog's exit ... bringing y funds and freeing up salaries.

Dawson would be worth stretching for in any case .... Spearing too, though Medo may mitigate that loss.

As Boris says, I think he wants a full pre season if at all possible. Plus players are available when they are and others come in for them if we don't (or, in Warnock's case, if we do !!)
WEEK!!? How did you get away with that for 2 whole pages!?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote: I'm normally pretty diplomatic but these seem pretty ridiculous in my opinion Dan...
It isn't his opinion. If it is contrary to popular opinion he adopts it as he thinks it is cool/different. Much like a young lad might choose the opposite to his sister. No other reason except to be contrary.

Don't waste your time with it :wink:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Dont hold your breath. Take ATs advice.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Filling two long term week areas ... full back ... both of whom were out of contact, and catching a highly rated youngster who was here last year seems just a case of knowing what you want. .... I think !!

A couple of "ones for the future is, again, making up for our poor showing of development from the ranks.

Beckford, as I say, could well be the precursor to Sordell .... & maybe N'Gog's exit ... bringing y funds and freeing up salaries.

Dawson would be worth stretching for in any case .... Spearing too, though Medo may mitigate that loss.

As Boris says, I think he wants a full pre season if at all possible. Plus players are available when they are and others come in for them if we don't (or, in Warnock's case, if we do !!)
WEEK!!? How did you get away with that for 2 whole pages!?
sssssssshhhhh. Let's keep it just between us two. Thanks for not mentioning it. :oops:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".