SKD off to Canada...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

SKD off to Canada...

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:28 pm

misses followed Toronto FC on twitter so someone asked Nixon if there was anything to it and his response was

"It is moving fast. Out of blue. Good luck to the fella."

Teams managed by old Blackburn player Ryan Nelsen and would join Rob Earnshaw.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: SKD off to Canada...

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 pm

:shock: Toronto????? :vomit:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:32 pm

a final payday

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:46 pm

The sooner the better for me if he is being disruptive around the club. Lost a lot of respect for the guy in the last few months.

Thanks for the memories Kev, but you let yourself down in the end.

Strikes me as someone who thought they was bigger than anyone else at the club and how dare anyone tell him he won't get a new deal. I think he expected to end his playing days here and then take a coaching role.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:11 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote::shock: Toronto????? :vomit:
Starting out as a bad year for you Monty. First the increasingly obvious Stanley Cup victory by the Leafs this season, and now KD headed there.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 am

Y'know it's a shame that it is ending this way.

The fairytale ending would have been finishing his days at the club and picking up a coaching role, perhaps becoming a even bigger club legend beyond his abilities as a player. If you combine that with the facts he had set up a family and a home here and some good charity work around the town, it seems even more sad.

There's a few factors at work here, including many we will never know about. Some of the twitter stuff may have aided the decision, as neither him nor the missus have had much luck with that idiotic website.

The whole thing needed some compromise- Davies to realize his fast encroaching limitations as an 'ageing' footballer and perhaps a willingness to spend future seasons on a diminished wage as a benchwarmer; putting in the hard work to stay fit when not in the team for long spells. Also a bit of a reality check from his missus and maybe just a touch of sentimentality from the club.

Rather think we can say goodbye to the testimonial too, but that might have a bit more to do with the bloke being unable to swallow his pride and ask for one. PG has said it's there if he wants it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 am

he can get employed by a PR firm when he packs in.

:/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 am

ChrisC wrote:The sooner the better for me if he is being disruptive around the club. Lost a lot of respect for the guy in the last few months.

Strikes me as someone who thought they was bigger than anyone else at the club and how dare anyone tell him he won't get a new deal. I think he expected to end his playing days here and then take a coaching role.
Are these things true? I'm asking because I've never read anywhere about this? I also find it strange that if he's at odds with the club he's still writing in the programme as club captain.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 am

So does that suggest he won't get his testimonial now?
The Voice Of Reason

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 am

Salford Trotter wrote:So does that suggest he won't get his testimonial now?
good. less shitstirring. either him and talksportdicks knew what they were doing or the talksportdicks played him for a chump all for a story, and he went all wacky over it.

#playoffs

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 am

ChrisC wrote:The sooner the better for me if he is being disruptive around the club. Lost a lot of respect for the guy in the last few months.

Maybe Coyle had hinted that this would be on the cards? Just speculating but it fits in with his jobs for the boys attitude.

Freedman on the other hand takes his coaching setup things very seriously and was coaching for about the last 5 years of his playing career and planning for it before that. no way would he just dish out such roles for sentimental reasons.

Not in any way suggesting SKD has been lazy, maybe just caught out by sea change at the club in terms of professionalism. No doubt that he put in more community work than anyone, maybe it stings that this counts for nothing in terms of a new deal. He should be proud of what he's done and look to the future and I wish him well even though his current attitude is disappointing.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 am

If he has pretensions of being a coach or manager he will need to spot when a player isn't doing the business any longer. He will also need to be able to see when a player's overall presence is detracting rather than adding to the club and team and be willing to deal with that unsentimentally.

It's been clear to me for a couple of years that he's had his own interests at heart rather than the club's, which is understandable, but not when that gets you playing time you no longer deserve.

Sayonara big man, I'll try to remember 8 great years rather than the rather poor exit. Now get rid of that twittering cow.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:29 am

He'll probably fit in there. They're very direct and don't have much creativity in midfield.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am

Few things come to mind with this. Firstly if he does go there then good luck to him, will certainly be different.

Secondly, for me it would reflect one of two things, either he doesn't feel that confident of getting a decent deal over here, OR that he needs the money.

I'm not sure which it is, but it can hardly be for football reasons.

Thirdly, the fact he is negotiating this deal whilst Bolton are in a massive battle for a play-off place hopefully puts to bed the ridiculous (and rather sickening) cliches that are bandied around, especially by the media. "Mr Bolton" "Cut him in half and he bleeds Bolton". That sort of stuff. I'm certainly not criticising him for sorting his and his families futures out. It's perfectly natural. And he's been a very good player for us. But he's been loyal here because the money and stability has been here. We've both suited each other. And it has been great. But he's no martyr to the cause. He's benefitted equally and isn't slow to find another deal for himself when the time has come. He's no different to the vast majority of footballers. I don't think most footballers are mercenaries. They just want a decent deal and if they can settle in one place on good money for a long time, many will, especially when they aren't going to be picked up by a champions league club. For me Kev fits in that bracket. Great player for us, fantastic period, but the loyalty thing is massively overstated IMO.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 am

This last few weeks should not be allowed to taint Kevin Davies' 10 years at Bolton. For what he has done for Bolton Wanderers he should rightly be considered a Bolton great. No only that, he (and his wife by he way) have raised over £200,000 for his charity 'Kids of Bolton'. I can' remember too many previous Bolton Legends doing as much as he has done for the local community.

For me, this is the right time for him to leave and I will wish him all he very best for the future.
Last edited by malcd1 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 am

Do they have Twitter in Canada yet? ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Do they have Twitter in Canada yet? ;)
Don't be silly, it wasn't around in the 1960's. :)
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Few things come to mind with this. Firstly if he does go there then good luck to him, will certainly be different.

Secondly, for me it would reflect one of two things, either he doesn't feel that confident of getting a decent deal over here, OR that he needs the money.

or maybe he just fancies a bit of a lifestyle change and thinks it'd be a good opportunity for him and his family to live in Canada for a while - which has its advantages...

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 am

LeverEnd wrote: Maybe Coyle had hinted that this would be on the cards? Just speculating but it fits in with his jobs for the boys attitude.

Freedman on the other hand takes his coaching setup things very seriously and was coaching for about the last 5 years of his playing career and planning for it before that. no way would he just dish out such roles for sentimental reasons.

Not in any way suggesting SKD has been lazy, maybe just caught out by sea change at the club in terms of professionalism. No doubt that he put in more community work than anyone, maybe it stings that this counts for nothing in terms of a new deal. He should be proud of what he's done and look to the future and I wish him well even though his current attitude is disappointing.
I think Freedman is using this opportunity to show everyone who's boss. Much easier to do when you're winning games too.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

I think everyone's known 'who's boss' since the day Freedman walked through the door. No need for grand gestures, just part of doing his job.