Club Rebranding

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Club Rebranding

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I hope you're not trying to compare a shirt to cricket/basketball? :lol:
Well m'friend, it suddenly occurred to me that you'd roared onto this thread to bemoan the interest in a slow reveal, then ended up backing it as an important part of sport... obviously not all things have to be connected or inspire the same emotion but I spy a certain disconnect there...
Maybe you're right, though it is not so much the slow reveal of the shirt I was bemoaning. It was more the level of obsession some have that I don't get.
That, sir, is true. But, y'know, it's a slow news week. Had we been selling off players, sacking the manager, fighting off creditors and seeking a 'saviour' buyout, I daresay folks would have been less bothered... :D

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Athers wrote:One of the nice touches in US sports (at least baseball to my knowledge) is that home teams don't have player names on the shirts - the fans are expected to know them.

Noticed Brazil didn't either the other night.
I think that's probably exclusively to Baseball pal as both NBA/NFL jerseys have name and number on the back.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:37 pm

If that's the new badge, it's a bit of a pointless 'rebrand'. Why not just revert to the previous one rather than trying to tweak it slightly?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I hope you're not trying to compare a shirt to cricket/basketball? :lol:
Well m'friend, it suddenly occurred to me that you'd roared onto this thread to bemoan the interest in a slow reveal, then ended up backing it as an important part of sport... obviously not all things have to be connected or inspire the same emotion but I spy a certain disconnect there...
Maybe you're right, though it is not so much the slow reveal of the shirt I was bemoaning. It was more the level of obsession some have that I don't get.
That, sir, is true. But, y'know, it's a slow news week. Had we been selling off players, sacking the manager, fighting off creditors and seeking a 'saviour' buyout, I daresay folks would have been less bothered... :D
I blame these 24 hour news channels. They are a good idea, but they repeat the same old, often non-factual stuff every 10 minutes. I mean, they have 24 hours right? They could fit loads of news in, but no, they have to repeat Tulisa being arrested every 5 minutes and visit the police station/where she was born etc. So much goes unreported that could fill the time and still leave space to repeat the biggest headlines every hour.

One thing is for sure...I'm turning into a grumpier old man with every passing day :oops:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Athers wrote:One of the nice touches in US sports (at least baseball to my knowledge) is that home teams don't have player names on the shirts - the fans are expected to know them.

Noticed Brazil didn't either the other night.
That is actually just a few teams. Red Sox (Home) Yankees (Home and Away, the cocky pr!cks) Giants (Home) There may be more, but most do put names on them.

There are a few college teams that dont put names on the back for Football.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 pm

BL3 wrote:If that's the new badge, it's a bit of a pointless 'rebrand'. Why not just revert to the previous one rather than trying to tweak it slightly?
'Pointless rebrand'? Are you serious? The 'ribbon' badge has and will always look awful, this not only acknowledges our past but gives us a badge that doesn't look like a clowns sneezed on it
Pfffft.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:13 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
BL3 wrote:If that's the new badge, it's a bit of a pointless 'rebrand'. Why not just revert to the previous one rather than trying to tweak it slightly?
'Pointless rebrand'? Are you serious? The 'ribbon' badge has and will always look awful, this not only acknowledges our past but gives us a badge that doesn't look like a clowns sneezed on it
Leave Bobo alone TKIZ! :wink:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

ChrisC wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Leave Bobo alone TKIZ! :wink:
:lol: Sorry Bobo :wink:
Pfffft.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:18 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
You've completely missed the point. It's a tweaked version of the badge we had in the mid-70's. Why not just use that one rather than spend money redrawing something that didn't actually need to be redrawn? The fact that you haven't even noticed that it's been redrawn, just sums up the sheer pointlessness of the whole 'rebranding' exercise.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Hither you go. Big nice photo of the new club crest.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 60/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:35 pm

mrkint wrote:Hither you go. Big nice photo of the new club crest.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 60/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, Certainly better than the rose on it's own as blagged up yesterday.

I like the ribbon & rose & 1877. The 'BWFC' is the classic one but could have benefited from some updating. All in all, better than I feared and it seems OK.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:39 pm

The 1877 bit looks like it's an MSPaint afterthought. A huge improvement on the old one though.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:40 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
mrkint wrote:Hither you go. Big nice photo of the new club crest.

OK, Certainly better than the rose on it's own as blagged up yesterday.

I like the ribbon & rose & 1877. The 'BWFC' is the classic one but could have benefited from some updating. All in all, better than I feared and it seems OK.
Indeed, in fact I would go so far as to say I like it
Pfffft.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 pm

God knows how much money has been wasted on scrapping the original 70's badge and then reverting to a poorly drawn version of it ten years later. It wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:42 pm

BL3 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
You've completely missed the point. It's a tweaked version of the badge we had in the mid-70's. Why not just use that one rather than spend money redrawing something that didn't actually need to be redrawn? The fact that you haven't even noticed that it's been redrawn, just sums up the sheer pointlessness of the whole 'rebranding' exercise.
Do you know anyone that liked the 'ribbon' design? Then to be honest it's not pointless and design is fully of 'tweaking' :lol:
Badly drawn? Hahahahaha, the proper original ones from the 1970's looked like someone's gran had sewn them on so give over
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I understand BL3's suspicion of the need to redraw the compartment (as is apparently the heraldic term for "the bit under the badge"). I guess it may have been brought about by unclear ownership of the previous design and the need to trademark this one. It could still have been done better: the shading is poor, the folds too precise for anything like realism, and the curve unflattering.

That said, I'm glad the BWFC lettering is in its proper blue, that the rose is back, and that 1877 is commemorated (although I'd argue it could be 1874). Overall the badge is approximately a million times better than those bastard ribbons.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm

I preferred the ribbons.......

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
BL3 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Do you know anyone that liked the 'ribbon' design? Then to be honest it's not pointless and design is fully of 'tweaking' :lol:
Badly drawn? Hahahahaha, the proper original ones from the 1970's looked like someone's gran had sewn them on so give over
Second time you've missed the point. No one is actually complaining that the 'ribbons' badge was scrapped.

We owned the rights to the 70's badge. It didn't need to be redrawn. We could have just used the original, the one that was on the shirts for about 30 years from 1977/78 onwards.
Last edited by BL3 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Post by si2008 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 pm

At least we got rid of those shit ribbons ....i like the new badge

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 pm

I haven't been a wanderer as long as most here, which may be the reason why I quite liked the ribbons. That said, I like this new take on the old crest. Ever so slightly modernised, but it works for me.