Club Rebranding

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Club Rebranding

Post by mrkint » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:01 pm

A wee bit on the website blurb about the old crest
The existing ribbon-style crest that was introduced following the move to the Reebok Stadium in 1997 will remain in place as the club’s stadium crest.
Hmm. Seems odd. Does Reebok hold sway over it, or sumfin, idk.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:03 pm

mrkint wrote:A wee bit on the website blurb about the old crest
The existing ribbon-style crest that was introduced following the move to the Reebok Stadium in 1997 will remain in place as the club’s stadium crest.
To me it suggests 'We can't be arsed changing the big sign on the side of the stadium'

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Probably costs too much to take it down !!

I'm not looking forward to the QQ sign going up (though the 188 is shite enough itself). Maybe the ground will be renamed "The Cash-Point Stadium" ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Post by si2008 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

new badge..so surely the Reebok should have the new crest on not the one with the ribbons...again wanderers doing everything in half lol

r0ckpaperscissors
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by r0ckpaperscissors » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:35 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

I'm not looking forward to the QQ sign going up (though the 188 is shite enough itself). Maybe the ground will be renamed "The Cash-Point Stadium" ?
If that's the case then I hope they finally put cash points in the stadium. Sick of trudging to Asda just to get some cash for my half-time Bovril!
contrite contrarian

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:36 pm

r0ckpaperscissors wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

If that's the case then I hope they finally put cash points in the stadium. Sick of trudging to Asda just to get some cash for my half-time Bovril!
Great stuff! And they'll only charge you a rather reasonable 23149783454345% interest for you to access your own money.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:38 pm

BL3 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
BL3 wrote:If that's the new badge, it's a bit of a pointless 'rebrand'. Why not just revert to the previous one rather than trying to tweak it slightly?
'Pointless rebrand'? Are you serious? The 'ribbon' badge has and will always look awful, this not only acknowledges our past but gives us a badge that doesn't look like a clowns sneezed on it
You've completely missed the point. It's a tweaked version of the badge we had in the mid-70's. Why not just use that one rather than spend money redrawing something that didn't actually need to be redrawn? The fact that you haven't even noticed that it's been redrawn, just sums up the sheer pointlessness of the whole 'rebranding' exercise.
The only one can't be protected

Maybe this one can?

And I like the 1877
Sto ut Serviam

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:39 pm

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:53 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
BL3 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
BL3 wrote:If that's the new badge, it's a bit of a pointless 'rebrand'. Why not just revert to the previous one rather than trying to tweak it slightly?
'Pointless rebrand'? Are you serious? The 'ribbon' badge has and will always look awful, this not only acknowledges our past but gives us a badge that doesn't look like a clowns sneezed on it
You've completely missed the point. It's a tweaked version of the badge we had in the mid-70's. Why not just use that one rather than spend money redrawing something that didn't actually need to be redrawn? The fact that you haven't even noticed that it's been redrawn, just sums up the sheer pointlessness of the whole 'rebranding' exercise.
The only one can't be protected

Maybe this one can?

And I like the 1877
The 1877 is O.K. It's the clumsy redraw on the BWFC roundel and the ribbon which is disappointing.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Well I really like it. It's about time we had a proper badge.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:59 pm

It does look like a fairly ameteurish attempt to me.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Bit of the old with a modern twist! I like it!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:11 pm

r0ckpaperscissors wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

There's one at Bolton Arena if that's closer for you!

I much prefer this badge, they should be changing the one on the stadium too though.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 pm

side-by-side for easy comparison..

if I tried hard to care that much..

1) the old one does look dated - naturally... simply to go back to that (I think) would be a mistake. For one thing - the name curled around top and bottom Bolton Wanderers does look a bit Microsoft WordArt to my eyes...

2) the new one - maybe a ribbon/banner with softer curves rather then the starched and ironed hard-folds would be softer on the eye - also, they have re-proportioned the lettering in the BWFC roundel - giving proportionately more space to the FC then the old logo did... which looks odd to me as I practiced as a boy drawing that and getting the proportions right - and I never found it easy! schoolbooks were covered in aborted and crappy-looking reproductions!

overall - nowt outrageous about the new badge - clean lines - simple - it'll do...

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:29 pm

The old badge didn't have the words 'Bolton Wanderers' on it and the rose was far more detailed than it appears on the version you've posted. It looked like this:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:30 pm

The shorts, apparently ...

Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:31 pm

BL3 wrote:The old badge didn't have the words 'Bolton Wanderers' on it and the rose was far more detailed than it appears on the version you've posted. It looked like this:

Yeah .... but that also had Frank Worthington, Willie Morgan, Paul Jones and Roy Greaves in it, amongst others.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Allardyce, Peter Reid etc
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:11 pm

BL3 is right that the 70s badge is different to the one Bish posted - from memory, those curved words appeared around 1995 (so ClipArt era, but also first top-flight return).

Bish is right that the old proportions look better - more BW than FC.

I strongly suspect that Caps is right about copyright protection - it's one of the reasons Arsenal changed their badge about five years ago, with the gun going the other way. Folks were upset, especially those with tattoos.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:16 pm

What ? Still no elephants !!!!!!!!!!!
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!