Bolton Wanderers fans could travel more than 6,000 miles

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Bolton Wanderers fans could travel more than 6,000 miles

Post by si2008 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Bolton Wanderers fans could travel more than 6,000 miles next season
how many fans will do them all ...for myself depends on the midweek games

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10 ... on/?ref=la" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opponents and miles (one-way) from Reebok:
Brighton 273
B’mouth 264
Ipswich 247
Yeovil 244
Charlton 235
Millwall 217
QPR 214
Reading 213
Watford 198
Leicester 123
M’boro 121
Forest 110
Birmingham 102
Derby 100
Doncaster 82
Barnsley 68
Sheff Weds 57
Leeds 49
Huddersfield 38
Blackpool 35
Burnley 32
Blackburn 19
Wigan 8

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: Bolton Wanderers fans could travel more than 6,000 miles

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Depends on midweek games....did say to the wife before the Yeovil Play Off final, if they went up I'd go...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm looking at the farthest-flung nine there, although circumstances may collude to prevent me going to all of them.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I really want to go to the Mary Rose exhibition in Portsmouth so am contemplating tying it in with an away game, Brighton or Bournemouth perhaps and making a weekend of it. They both within easy reach of Pompey?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I really want to go to the Mary Rose exhibition in Portsmouth so am contemplating tying it in with an away game, Brighton or Bournemouth perhaps and making a weekend of it. They both within easy reach of Pompey?
Bournemouth's an hour west of Pompey but the other side of Southampton. Brighton's 75 minutes east of it along the A27, which runs along the south coast - a more attractive, if slightly slower, run. I guess it'll come down to fixture timings: if they're both in the pit of winter it won't count for much, but if one's an autumn or spring weekend you could make more of a go of it. Either way, you'd surely be looking at a stopover unless you set off before sunrise...

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeovil is an absolute nightmare to get by train, in fact it is near impossible and will probably involve those of you living in Bolton changing 7 times and getting 2 buses. I know when I did it there was 4 train journeys and 2 bus stops and I live on a direct train link to London and Reading, so that will be easily the most difficult one. I have just applied for a summer job at Morrisons, so if I do get it then yes I will try to do the lot of them.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Yeovil is an absolute nightmare to get by train, in fact it is near impossible and will probably involve those of you living in Bolton changing 7 times and getting 2 buses. I know when I did it there was 4 train journeys and 2 bus stops and I live on a direct train link to London and Reading, so that will be easily the most difficult one. I have just applied for a summer job at Morrisons, so if I do get it then yes I will try to do the lot of them.
I'll just get the official coach........straight forward for that one......

bean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bean » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeovil's no more difficult to get to than any other, there's a direct train from bristol... and that's hardly a minor station. Bolton - manchester - bristol - yeovil doesn't add up to seven trains in any currency. There's also sometimes direct trains from london, but that's less regular.

Sure, it takes a while, but let's not talk utter rubbish.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:10 pm

I had a quick look at it and it's 2 and a half hours from Waterloo. I think it's unlikely, but we'll see. Bournemouth is two hours; that I'm tempted by though, as I've got a mate down there who I've not seen in far too long. The London ones plus Reading, Watford and Brighton will be definites, other circumstances allowing. Ipswich, Leicester, Forest and Derby are unlikely, but possibles.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I really want to go to the Mary Rose exhibition in Portsmouth so am contemplating tying it in with an away game, Brighton or Bournemouth perhaps and making a weekend of it. They both within easy reach of Pompey?
Bournemouth's an hour west of Pompey but the other side of Southampton. Brighton's 75 minutes east of it along the A27, which runs along the south coast - a more attractive, if slightly slower, run. I guess it'll come down to fixture timings: if they're both in the pit of winter it won't count for much, but if one's an autumn or spring weekend you could make more of a go of it. Either way, you'd surely be looking at a stopover unless you set off before sunrise...
Cheers DSB. Will defo make a weekend of it - like you say, a weekend in September/April has distinctly more appeal than say January.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Only two grounds I've not seen the Whites on that list...

Will be looking to do Yeovil and Leicester (did Filbert St many times but not the new stadium).

I'll make a few others as well.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Quite a lot local to me. Donny, Barnsley etc that I'll be in for

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:38 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:Yeovil is an absolute nightmare to get by train, in fact it is near impossible and will probably involve those of you living in Bolton changing 7 times and getting 2 buses. I know when I did it there was 4 train journeys and 2 bus stops and I live on a direct train link to London and Reading, so that will be easily the most difficult one. I have just applied for a summer job at Morrisons, so if I do get it then yes I will try to do the lot of them.
Can do it in 2!

Bolton to Manchester
Manchester to Bristol Parkway
Bristol Parkway to Yeovil.

Granted it'll take close to 6 hours and cost a fortune.


bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:54 am

Well I would walk 6,000 miles .... and I would walk 6,000 more ...
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:57 am

^ Well, that's easy for you with feet that size!

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 am

Will be spending next year (well 3 years) living in London for Uni so I'll try and get to a few of these away games this season!
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 am

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:Will be spending next year (well 3 years) living in London for Uni so I'll try and get to a few of these away games this season!
During my three years at uni we got two promotions, a major cup final and several higher-division cup scalps... happy years... especially as I kept my season ticket!

NB: That's probably financially irresponsible these days. The value of student loans can go up but rarely down. Etc.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:25 am

officer_dibble wrote:Quite a lot local to me. Donny, Barnsley etc that I'll be in for
Donny, Barnsley, Owls, Derby, Forest: they'll be my 'home' matches.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:Will be spending next year (well 3 years) living in London for Uni so I'll try and get to a few of these away games this season!
During my three years at uni we got two promotions, a major cup final and several higher-division cup scalps... happy years... especially as I kept my season ticket!

NB: That's probably financially irresponsible these days. The value of student loans can go up but rarely down. Etc.
Yep, you're probably the same age as me then. Great years. Everyone* liked Bolton back then, classic underdog/giantkiller as favourite second team scenario.

*in the top division, obviously not Tranmere and Wolves! :oyea:

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Surely it must be a good omen when a Wanderer goes to Uni :P

One of perks of being Welsh is that the Welsh Government are paying £5500 towards the £9000 tuition fee which certainly helps and then I've got £5000 student grant with £5000 accommodation loan, crazy money being thrown all over the place... hopefully I can get a part time job to pay for the tickets.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY