Kick off with a glass or two of claret!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Kick off with a glass or two of claret!

Post by BWFC90 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I think I'd have Hall start over Lee next week, he's more deserving of it

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 pm

ChrisC wrote:I have just been paid out on SKY for Pratley as first goal scorer.. I'm baffled :lol: Did Burnley's not count as it was a deflection off Wheater?
they tweeted they were paying out on both ings & pratley due to the first goal being unclear.

to my eye it was a wheater own goal.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:04 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Reasonable result. Hope we'll be a lot better next week though. Beckford had better start scoring because I get the impression he won't be offering much else. Ngog was totally off the pace. Midfield looked OK though and we look strong in defence. Like the look of Tierney.

One game.....he's played one competitive fvcking match!!
I realise that, but I'm talking about his game in general. He's goals or nothing, it's what fans of his other clubs have said about him. I'm happy with his signing and think he'll be our top scorer. Rereading it it does look a bit over critical I admit!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:07 pm

James B wrote:
ChrisC wrote:I have just been paid out on SKY for Pratley as first goal scorer.. I'm baffled :lol: Did Burnley's not count as it was a deflection off Wheater?
they tweeted they were paying out on both ings & pratley due to the first goal being unclear.

to my eye it was a wheater own goal.
Thanks for that :D

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:13 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Reasonable result. Hope we'll be a lot better next week though. Beckford had better start scoring because I get the impression he won't be offering much else. Ngog was totally off the pace. Midfield looked OK though and we look strong in defence. Like the look of Tierney.

One game.....he's played one competitive fvcking match!!
I realise that, but I'm talking about his game in general. He's goals or nothing, it's what fans of his other clubs have said about him. I'm happy with his signing and think he'll be our top scorer. Rereading it it does look a bit over critical I admit!

:wink:

I think where all hoping he'll do the Bizzo! Service definitely evaded him today, would love to of seen Eagles or Moritz in the hole to create a few chances for him
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:26 pm

BWFC90 wrote:I think I'd have Hall start over Lee next week, he's more deserving of it
Where on earth do you figure that from?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:43 pm

We cannot, simply cannot look forward to anything more than a hang-on by the seat of your pants, nervous season if our first choice centre-half paring is Knight and Wheater.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BWFC90 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC90 wrote:I think I'd have Hall start over Lee next week, he's more deserving of it
I know it doesn't stand for much but he was one of our best players pre season, and Lee hasn't looked up to much for quite some time

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Good question Tango he has only played one game yet some people think he is Gareth Bale.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 pm

bobo the clown wrote:We cannot, simply cannot look forward to anything more than a hang-on by the seat of your pants, nervous season if our first choice centre-half paring is Knight and Wheater.
This!

If we don't get a decent centre half from somewhere I fear I will be watching most of this season through my fingers...

Happy enough with a point... But bought we were good enough to take all three overall and I don't fancy Mr Beckford is an SKd replacement on that showing... and if we can't give him better service than we did today then he's a waste of time... Because he won't be creating it for himself...

Early days happier than this time 12 months since...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Good point for me, we need to sort out letting teams dominate out wide their wingers were on their own for most of the game. This causes us problems as we have to deal with a lot of balls into the box. Their goal was a defensive calamity we need to cut out the soft goals as it is becoming a recurring theme. Pratley looked like a different player today, Eagles looked up for it, hopefully he does not have an injury which keeps him out for a few games as we need his creativity desperately. We scored a very good goal and could have gone on to win the game. Finally, it was a great atmosphere today (in our end!!) was pleased to see us get behind the team when we went 1 down. Nice to see a bit of positive atmosphere instead of the destructive negativity we have had for the last 2 seasons long may it continue. Good day out could have won but a good away point alot to work on but I am sure we will get better when we get some service to Beckford he looked a bit isolated today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Well a good day out, not ruined by the football, but not massively helped either.

Result is decent enough and certainly a huge improvement on last seasons shambles.

The performance was at worst disjointed at best promising. Elements of everything.

Knight and Wheater cocked up between them for their goal. Calamitous defending. Can't give teams goals like that in this league. All game Wheater looked off the pace and Knight just looked like Knight. Bogdan flapping around them doesn't help either.

Full backs both seem an improvement on what we had last season.

Midfield, well is a mahoooosive problem. Pratley was sublime. Really fecking truly out standout player today, those who think he's a 'shit footballer' need to watch him today. Driving force.

It was after Pratley that the problems start. Andrews was wank. Really wank. Medo looks like he doesn't know whether to sit in and help Andrews or push on and we become stretched, chasing shadows. At times we stepped up and dominated periods of the game, but not nearly enough. And I felt we were the team that lasted better especially in the last 15 minutes.

But there was no drive in midfield apart from Pratley. And no ability to keep the ball and setup attacks. I feel this system needs that 'number 10' in there either NGog or Moritz or Eagles in that behind the striker role. We looked better when NGog came on. As good as Pratley was, I just think we need a little more creativity there is Andrews and Medo are the rest of the midfield.

Beckford looks like he's full of movement. But looked a bit rusty on the ball. Couple of nice things though and he will get better. But he needs service. And who will supply it? Moritz, perhaps.

We were organised and strong which is what we need to be.

Honestly and truthfully though that side without addition at centre back and in midfield is mid table at best.

And from his comments after the game I think DF knows that as well.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:09 pm

What did he say
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:10 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:What did he say
Just the usual, needs a few more signings....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Ngog-Beckford is worth a few games for me, although today Ngog looked totally unfit and wasn't in it. Touch was awful as well. When he sharpens up though I think he's the right sort of player for JB to play off.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:And no ability to keep the ball and setup attacks.
I think most people are right with their individual assessment of players and whilst that doesn't help us, this sentence is the root of the problems we have. We lack the ability to keep hold of the ball, both in order to create our own chances and also to stop the opposition from dominating us. It's just not good enough and it wasn't last season either. Beckford's service was very poor today but I wouldn't expect anything else either, as I think chance creation was poor under Freedman all last year. It seems we're always relying on a bit of luck or an individual piece of skill to set up goals, rather than just good, solid teamwork.

I'm disappointed about the performance. The result isn't an issue but the way we played was so uninspiring. Freedman talking about fitness is fine, and I absolutely support the idea of that being improved, but I don't see any improvement in our strategy or tactics, which was as vital as raising the fitness levels. Our defence was poor today, our midfield created very little and Beckford was stranded if you ignore the countless, hopeless long balls booted in his direction.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:45 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:And no ability to keep the ball and setup attacks.
I think most people are right with their individual assessment of players and whilst that doesn't help us, this sentence is the root of the problems we have. We lack the ability to keep hold of the ball, both in order to create our own chances and also to stop the opposition from dominating us. It's just not good enough and it wasn't last season either. Beckford's service was very poor today but I wouldn't expect anything else either, as I think chance creation was poor under Freedman all last year. It seems we're always relying on a bit of luck or an individual piece of skill to set up goals, rather than just good, solid teamwork.

I'm disappointed about the performance. The result isn't an issue but the way we played was so uninspiring. Freedman talking about fitness is fine, and I absolutely support the idea of that being improved, but I don't see any improvement in our strategy or tactics, which was as vital as raising the fitness levels. Our defence was poor today, our midfield created very little and Beckford was stranded if you ignore the countless, hopeless long balls booted in his direction.
I don't think there was anything wrong with the system or tactics today. In fact I'd say the opposite, they were spot on.

The issue is the players we have available in certain positions.

In midfield we struggle with the creative side of the game because Mark Davies is out. Equally we got overrun so many times today because Andrews and Medo just couldn't get a grip of things in there. Get Spearing in and it would help in terms of being able to win the ball back better and having some life in there.

Same at CB, we just need a better player or ideally two. The goal Burnley scored was two individual mistakes from the centre backs. From a long punt downfield. Other than that goal they created nowt of consequence. Which says to me that we were well organised and in the right shape.

There is a problem as well with our attacking play and that is that one of our so called creative players constantly made the wrong decision today, never beat his man, and stopped a few very promising attacks with some poor passing. Dougie said earlier this week, we need another winger and I fully agree with that cos I don't think LCY is good enough to fire us out of this division.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Burnley's passing game was better than ours. Baptiste did a sort of part-time sweeper role quite well , and yes, Knight did win a header (missed a few others mind). Pratley, Eagles till he got injured, and Medo, impressed. Did Tierney actually hit a white shirt with a throw in? We didn't play all that badly at times but a bit too much hit and hope stuff at times. Clattenburger needs to get to Spec savers. Missed a panful of offences around their box and got conned a few times by the Clarets (one got Chungy booked for nothing) Couple of decent efforts from Medo and Craig Davies (that one needed saving). Their goal was a shambles but they all count. Point away has to be the plus I suppose. Hope Dougie tries for a settled side as they looked like they needed more time together at times. Three points off Reading at Home next week and we'll look a lot healthier.

indeed - that's what I thought - but didn't dare suggest that that was what the pre-season was supposed to be for!! ;-)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:05 pm

meanwhile the utterly rubbish and club-destroying calamity gets off to a decent start with a 4-0 away win.. :wink:

currently:

Coyle 3ppg
Freedman 1ppg

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Dougie out! Get Coyle back. And the kitman.