Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Freedman out!

Post by William the White » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:01 am

nelson66 wrote:
So my solution is to get Jimmy Philips back in the hot seat.......... and tell him to start blooding the youngsters that he has brought through the academy ranks
How to turn a problem into a disaster in one stroke...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 am

Going off managers out of work, I would take any one out of Malkey Macky, Chris Hughton, Steve Clarke and Brain Mcdermott if we was to bin Dougie now.

3 of the 4 have got promotion from the Championship and Clarke did a really good job at West Brom and should never have been fired.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm

ChrisC wrote:Going off managers out of work, I would take any one out of Malkey Macky, Chris Hughton, Steve Clarke and Brain Mcdermott if we was to bin Dougie now.

3 of the 4 have got promotion from the Championship and Clarke did a really good job at West Brom and should never have been fired.
I'd be massively surprised if those names had any interest whatsoever in managing us as things stand. Very surprised.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Going off managers out of work, I would take any one out of Malkey Macky, Chris Hughton, Steve Clarke and Brain Mcdermott if we was to bin Dougie now.

I'd be massively surprised if those names had any interest whatsoever in managing us as things stand. Very surprised.
To be fair though, you are in one of those periods where everything is shite.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Personally, I think they'd all jump at the chance
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:Personally, I think they'd all jump at the chance
Agreed. Clarke would be difficult though.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't know why they'd be reluctant. We'd pay them. There is no massive expectation that we will storm the league. we're still decent enough not to be too scared of relegation under half-decent management... what would any of them have to lose?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't know why they'd be reluctant. We'd pay them. There is no massive expectation that we will storm the league. we're still decent enough not to be too scared of relegation under half-decent management... what would any of them have to lose?
Club on the long term slide with a massive debt, no money to spend and fans who have asked for the last 4 managers to be sacked. Plus no real in demand stars to sell to launch any rebuild.

Pulis was out of work, but before he would sign with Palace wanted promises and assurances on being able to spend money. If those 4 are patient and assuming they don't need instant salaries I think there will be better jobs available with more resources in the near future and I expect they know that.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Which means that other managers will be available.

We aren't just stuck with this lump.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Can we just settle one issue please. Do we or do we not have a massive debt? The chairman says not. If thats the case, we're a fantastic proposition for someone not earning any money presently.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:42 pm

One of the higher paid salaries outside the Premier League. Check

Decent standard of playing staff. Check

Excellent infrastructure. Check

Patient board. Check

No lose situation. Check

Decent enough stature to secure good loan deals from bigger clubs. Check

Springboard to move onto bigger things if you do a good job. Check

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Thinking about it, theres only really Megson who wasn't hot property (as the kidz say) when we appointed him.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Pulis was out of work, but before he would sign with Palace wanted promises and assurances on being able to spend money. If those 4 are patient and assuming they don't need instant salaries I think there will be better jobs available with more resources in the near future and I expect they know that.
Pulis wasn't in the list.

massive debt? I thought you were all for playing that down and being realistic in that it is not bank-debt...

managers want to be in work, surely. unless you reckon those listed are holding out for some kind of premiership dream job (in which case - dream on!) - then we've plenty to offer. they'd be well paid - we have a decent club set-up - there isn't the pressure of high expectation - in the eyes of the world they'd be following a few duffers - which (see Van Gaal and Moyes) is always better than following a club legend...

again - what's to lose for any of them?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:One of the higher paid salaries outside the Premier League. Check Speculative. And I'd bet the next manager will not be.

Decent standard of playing staff. Check Matter of opinion. Apparently Freedman has signed a load of rubbish......

Excellent infrastructure. Check Yep.

Patient board. Check Agreed

No lose situation. Check Really? I suspect our last few managers might say something about that

Decent enough stature to secure good loan deals from bigger clubs. Check As have half this league

Springboard to move onto bigger things if you do a good job. Check Hardly unique and just about applies to any club in the entire world

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:One of the higher paid salaries outside the Premier League. Check Speculative. And I'd bet the next manager will not be.

Decent standard of playing staff. Check Matter of opinion. Apparently Freedman has signed a load of rubbish......

No lose situation. Check Really? I suspect our last few managers might say something about that

Decent enough stature to secure good loan deals from bigger clubs. Check As have half this league

Springboard to move onto bigger things if you do a good job. Check Hardly unique and just about applies to any club in the entire world
If the next bloke does a good job, he's a hero. If he does shite, it's because the club is on the slide.

And do you honestly think some bloke who manages Burton Albion could get a Premier league gig based on a good season?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:53 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If the next bloke does a good job, he's a hero. If he does shite, it's because the club is on the slide.

And do you honestly think some bloke who manages Burton Albion could get a Premier league gig based on a good season?
No but it'd be a springboard to "move onto better things" still.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Can we just settle one issue please. Do we or do we not have a massive debt? The chairman says not. If thats the case, we're a fantastic proposition for someone not earning any money presently.
False dichotomy. It isn't just a case of either massive debt or fantastic proposition.

We do have massive debt, it's just that, as it's owed to the owner it isn't a problem.

What is a problem is the cash flow - we're reliant on the owner for that, and he seems to have decided to stop it.

So there are problems. Not enough to stop us from bringing in anyone, as BWFCi seems to want to maintain (although, don't forget, that he was the chap who said that Coyle would never join, and that he'd bare his arse on the town hall steps if he did. Or was it bear his arse? I can't remember. Things are often more ursine than they appear).

As others have noted, we could feasibly tempt an out-of-work manager who may be decent. The point is, however, moot, as there's clearly no intention to sack Freedman - simply to let him run down his contract.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

No but it'd be a springboard to "move onto better things" still.
Fvck me... :roll:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:09 pm

While I don't agree with BWFCi's general drift, I do think Pulis's success will have given unemployed ex-Prem managers - Mackay, Hughton, Clarke, McDermott - hope that they can be parachuted into a Big League job and be a back-page hero within a month. Long-time No.2 Clarke was very picky about which job he took, while the three with experience of this division will know it's a bugger to get out of (Mackay especially) and would quite possibly rather bide their time awaiting the first Premier panic-button.

Of the four, McDermott is the most likely to come here, but I don't think he'd provoke dancing in the streets of Bolton.

I still think we're more likely to get a manager from below than above. But it would be a big surprise if the CV only had Leigh Genesis and Chorley on it...

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:25 pm

First post of the season in this thread...

Seriously, amidst all the nonsense spouted by BWFCI bending over backwards to find a reason why Freedman should be in a job, the idea that Malky Mackay, Chris Hughton, Steve Clarke and Brian McDermott would not even consider managing us is right up there with the best of it.

Take Steve Clarke for example. Not been in work for a year. What do you think he's planning to do for the rest of his life? Which jobs do you anticipate Mackay, Hughton and McDermott getting? They wouldn't even consider it!? None of them are remotely proven at Premier League level in the way that Tony Pulis was/is.

Add in the likes of Dave Jones and Sean O'Driscoll and that's a good list of candidates with reasonable CV's to chat to. And that's just out of work managers.