Our back four (sans Tierney)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Our back four (sans Tierney)

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:57 am

It appears, according to Chris Eagles (see other thread), that Tierney may have broken his leg. So - while that thread can cover the pain, anguish and sympathy, we should get on with the business of re-jigging our back four. The McNaughton signing jus came into its own - although he's only here a month, of course.

What are we looking at?

Ream - Mills - Knight - Baptiste?

McNaughton - Ream - Mills - Baptiste?

A return for Mears? Can Baptiste play on the left?

So many questions. Anyway - I wouldn't want to split up Ream and Mills after their good showing yesterday. Personally, I'd have McNaughton at LB for now, those two in the middle, and the goal-machine Baptiste. Might get interesting in a month's time, mind you.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Our back four (sans Tierney)

Post by ChrisC » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:01 am

Long term I think Ream will get the gig. Played really well centrally and on the left yesterday.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:19 am

Kellet has been on the bench last couple. I know I always bang in about it but I am generally disheartened at them that get a proper wage. Would like to see some youth come through to shake it up .

I think Ream will get the gig this seadon.

Absolute shitter about tierney. Why him? Why not knight, ngog, chungy... One of the overpaid underperformers...

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 pm

If Knights learned his lesson and is actually going to play like a captain (like at the end of the yeovil game) then I'd be totally fine with Ream shifting to the left and Knight coming back in to the centre.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:03 pm

It probably messes up the initial intention that was behind McNaughton coming in. DF may be making mistakes but also having plenty bad luck with injuries to contend with.I suspect whichever of McNaughton and baptiste is happiest on the left may go over there.Short term at least Mills and Ream should be given a chance as centre backs as they apparently did ok yesterday.Mears appears to be persona non gratis and I cant see DF wanting to start Kellet in the present circumtances.
Ream could certainly play LB if DF wants to put Baptiste in the centre,previously I believed he was more suited to that than central defence. Almost seems a shame to shift him out there on recent form.

Knight well er I dont know, do people really think he will have suddenly grown a pair of sustainbable balls on the strength of missing a game and getting a cameo up front? He's always come across as way too laid back to me and this team needs drive which I dont believe Knight posseses

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Knight well er I dont know, do people really think he will have suddenly grown a pair of sustainbable balls on the strength of missing a game and getting a cameo up front? He's always come across as way too laid back to me and this team needs drive which I dont believe Knight posseses
I think that getting subbed off was a real kick up the arse for him, he was in disbelief, he had clearly grown extremely complacent with his place in the side as captain and was happy to coast. Maybe after being dropped for a few games it might have hit home that if he doesnt want to be earning (relative) peanuts at some league 2 club next year he might have to play like someone in the armband should.

Although I could be very wrong, he could still be a completely useless feck with no hope of redemption who his happy to sit out his high wages with minimal effort. This injury gives him another chance and I guess we will see.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:16 pm

Jez wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Knight well er I dont know, do people really think he will have suddenly grown a pair of sustainbable balls on the strength of missing a game and getting a cameo up front? He's always come across as way too laid back to me and this team needs drive which I dont believe Knight posseses
I think that getting subbed off was a real kick up the arse for him, he was in disbelief, he had clearly grown extremely complacent with his place in the side as captain and was happy to coast. Maybe after being dropped for a few games it might have hit home that if he doesnt want to be earning (relative) peanuts at some league 2 club next year he might have to play like someone in the armband should.

Although I could be very wrong, he could still be a completely useless feck with no hope of redemption who his happy to sit out his high wages with minimal effort. This injury gives him another chance and I guess we will see.
Hope you're right mate. I figured making him captain was aimed at motivating him to show some guts and drive though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Ream-Mills-Baptiste-McNoughton for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Kellet has been on the bench last couple. I know I always bang in about it but I am generally disheartened at them that get a proper wage. Would like to see some youth come through to shake it up .

I think Ream will get the gig this seadon.

Absolute shitter about tierney. Why him? Why not knight, ngog, chungy... One of the overpaid underperformers...
I could have cried yesterday when this happened. Why him? He was about the only one showing any guts that's why :cry:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Absolute shitter about tierney. Why him? Why not knight, ngog, chungy... One of the overpaid underperformers...
Presumably they wouldn't have bothered tackling.

McNaughton-Ream-Mills-Baptiste. See how that goes for a bit.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:54 pm

While were on the subject of left backs I think losing Alonso is one of the biggest reasons for this seasons failure. Not that tierney is bad, he just doesnt have the attacking mentality Alonso used to, he'd launch counter attacks and push the ball from one end to the other and without him chungy looks completely lost. Shame he left to go watch Fiorentina

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 am

bring back ricardo, I say....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 am

thebish wrote:bring back ricardo, I say....
He was 35 on Saturday.

Knees of a 75 year old mind you.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 am

This has only happened 2 days before we face the best right winger in the league! Christ.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am

Athers wrote:This has only happened 2 days before we face the best right winger in the league! Christ.
Steinsson managed to keep the Welsh Wonderboy in his back pocket once. You never know, no matter how unlikely it seems :)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Athers wrote:This has only happened 2 days before we face the best right winger in the league! Christ.
Steinsson managed to keep the Welsh Wonderboy in his back pocket once. You never know, no matter how unlikely it seems :)
Not to mention Browny against Welsh wonderboy of the day Giggs at the Old Trafford cup-tie back in 1991.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:47 pm

A few mentions for Ream at centre back... please god no.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Not to mention Browny against Welsh wonderboy of the day Giggs at the Old Trafford cup-tie back in 1991.
Wasn't it Lee Sharpe?

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:A few mentions for Ream at centre back... please god no.
Wasn't he there on Sat? Seemed quite solid to me.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:36 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:A few mentions for Ream at centre back... please god no.
Wasn't he there on Sat? Seemed quite solid to me.
He was ... & he did. But Yeovil didn't have anyone worth speaking of up front.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".