Beckford

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Beckford

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:33 pm

The Eagles miss, v Millwall away, was following a foul on him. He was not hesitant in the slightest ... eager indeed ... to take it.

Wasn't it pretty close to the end for Captn. Chaos ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

onlywanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by onlywanderer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:The Eagles miss, v Millwall away, was following a foul on him. He was not hesitant in the slightest ... eager indeed ... to take it.

Wasn't it pretty close to the end for Captn. Chaos ?
His last game, in fact.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Eagles missed more than one, Beckford has one miss. If he keeps insisting on taking them and still misses then it becomes an issue.
Let's hope the former player hex works for him tonight. But not for Danny Ward obviously, he's been on the bench recently.
Just seen this stat, could be interpreted in lots of ways. For me I just hope we're kicking towards the NSL first half.

•71% (12 of 17) of Bolton's goals this term have arrived in the first half, a league-high proportion.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Can't remember who it was against but our very own Tony Zico Kelly missed one while at Wigan.

The story goes that Bryan Hamilton tried to give him the old 'hair dryer' treatment in the dressing room shouting 'I never want you to take another penatly' to which TK pinned him up against the wall, rubbed his boots in Hamilton's face and said 'I don't want to play for you ever again.'

The rest is history.

I've mentioned this to Kelly on Twitter and he has confirmed it. he says if ever writes a book Hamilton's in for it big time.

I have no problem with Beckford taking the next pen.

If he misses then that should be that and someone else can put their hands up, I'm sure we've got plenty of players who want to do it.

Or at least hope we have.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Cows arse, banjo???? not just the penalty miss

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Well I can't wait to see him play when he's not on a run of goals!

The first chance I can accept as a good save but the header and that volley at the end....... I mean they'd embarass whatever shite non-league team he used to play for.

If we had someone decent like McCormack or Ings we would have escaped with 4 points from 2 games of not playing well.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

soulfuledge
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by soulfuledge » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm

How many seasons have we said that we dont have a dependable striker - I've lost count... having a striker capable of nicking games makes all the difference when you're not playing great, sadly our lack of creativity/decentness leaves us relying on lucky goals from punts upfield.

Having Beckford, N'Gog, Mason & Knight upfront was hardly the Fantastic Four

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I've just seen the replay of his miss. Because I sit over on the far side I couldn't see how far it went past the post last night, but :shock: it's fecking disgraceful. Given his penalty miss at Boro as well I can only ask myself - is Beckford a betting man? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:53 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've just seen the replay of his miss. Because I sit over on the far side I couldn't see how far it went past the post last night, but :shock: it's fecking disgraceful. Given his penalty miss at Boro as well I can only ask myself - is Beckford a betting man? :conf:
I was right behind it. it was awful in real time as well. I was up for the goal.
It's not just his fault though. the guy's career has been on the slide for several years now, he was never going to be our goal-scoring saviour on his own up there, isolated by a defensive team.
I've seen enough to think that he'd be a real asset with some support, but he's not got the balls or the ability to cut it on his own. Unfortunately his manager has written off our other forwards and pinned all his hopes on JB.
No pressure then.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 am

They don't have to be world beaters in this division, a Ross McCormack would have buried that...or at least got the bastard on target. I'm sure Beckford has the billy big time bollocks about him cos he's played in the prem and been arse licked when his star was shining.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:04 pm

What makes everybody think Beckford has a 'big time attitude'? Has he said something in particular, or are we going off the word of a few Leicester fans?

Don't forget that Leicester's manager could start a fight in an empty room.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:What makes everybody think Beckford has a 'big time attitude'? Has he said something in particular, or are we going off the word of a few Leicester fans?

Don't forget that Leicester's manager could start a fight in an empty room.

Was thinking the same thing! he always comes across alright IMO
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 pm

I've seen nothing to suggest Beckford is anything other than a model professional.

Whatever his failings may be, I don't see attitude as an issue.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 pm

The only impression I get is that he gets along with all the players and is a fairly quiet family man

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:27 pm

He's bobbins
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:49 pm

actually think he's a reasonable finisher.
he does make good runs off the shoulder of defenders, but this requires somebody sliding that ball in for him
he is not a 1 man up front/ hold up, bring others in, target man

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:44 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:actually think he's a reasonable finisher.
he does make good runs off the shoulder of defenders, but this requires somebody sliding that ball in for him
he is not a 1 man up front/ hold up, bring others in, target man
Exactly, he's neother good enough nor the right kind of player to pay that role with kind of midfield we have. He seems to be invisible to Lee for example.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 am

Beckford's attitude has been criticised since he wanted to leave Leeds for a bigger club years ago. I don't know if he said so in an interview or whatever, but he got booed by their fans when he was substituted and then refused to shake Grayson's hand, so something quite significant must have happened. It's probably not fair to judge someone now by what they did years ago though, yet Beckford's reputation of being petulant has obviously stuck.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am

Grayson signed Beckford for Huddersfield on loan didn't he?

Couldn't have been that bad!!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:Grayson signed Beckford for Huddersfield on loan didn't he?
Never let detail get in the way of a good dig at one of our own!