The Debt.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The Debt.

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:13 am

Loyal White wrote:Hmmmm.

In my opinion, it is our playing staff wage bill is what is killing us. Without a rich benefactor I don't see a solution other than creating a situation where we can cancel those contracts.

It'd be a shame to lose players like Clough, Vela, Amos for nothing, but worth it to secure the future of the club.
Maybe ... but we should be selective. The wages of Medo, Spearing & Mavis alone probably equal the rest of the squads. Two of those we ought to be able to get a fee of some sort as well.

Don't give away what you can sell.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:20 am

Amos is supposedly on big wages. I imagine the club accountants dream of a squad of players on the money Vela and Clough get. We just need another 9 of them!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:55 am

Prufrock wrote:Amos is supposedly on big wages. I imagine the club accountants dream of a squad of players on the money Vela and Clough get. We just need another 9 of them!
Might be best trying to hold on to academy coaches then.

Except the EPPP means youth products can walk away for relative buttons anyway.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Loyal White wrote:Hmmmm.

In my opinion, it is our playing staff wage bill is what is killing us. Without a rich benefactor I don't see a solution other than creating a situation where we can cancel those contracts.

It'd be a shame to lose players like Clough, Vela, Amos for nothing, but worth it to secure the future of the club.
Maybe ... but we should be selective. The wages of Medo, Spearing & Mavis alone probably equal the rest of the squads. Two of those we ought to be able to get a fee of some sort as well.

Don't give away what you can sell.
We've definitely been trying to offload Medo since Lennon got here, I suspect Spearing too. No one wants them/is willing to pay their wages.

I suspect the same would be true of the likes of Wheater and Pratley plus others like Danns, Feaney, Pisano, Moxey, etc.

Mark Davies might be the exception, but I couldn't see us taking more than £500k for someone who struggles to play 20 games in a season.

I'm sure that we could probably get a couple of million for Clough, Vela and maybe Amos, but once that money pays off HMRC/Finance/Warburtons/etc we're still left with the high wage bill for the crap no one wants to take off our hands.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:Amos is supposedly on big wages. I imagine the club accountants dream of a squad of players on the money Vela and Clough get. We just need another 9 of them!
This.

We had a situation this summer were our squad size and wage bill was at a level which was more sustainable.

Unfortunately someone signed off the purchases of Wilson, Madine, Ameobi, Pisano, Derek, Prince, Casado, Wellington, Radchuba and Amos. Plus contract extensions for Heskey and Pratley.

We wouldn't be any lower in the table without those additions. We might be closer to having a sustainable football club though.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:I think someone needs to explain this one to me, and it might be a naive question but: Why is it that only a madman would take on BWFC?

We've got a fantastic stadium, good training facilities, a hotel, we're in the Championship, we're still a relatively big name in the football world ... why can't we find investors, especially now that the debt has been wiped? Why can City get investors, Forest, Leicester, Southampton, and so on but not Bolton. What's really so bad about us?
Because we are losing money hand over fist and have little value in our squad and therefore need not only large sums to simply stay afloat but huge investment to get moving upwards.

The sums we are losing are what is frightening apparently. We definitely don't have the full picture yet.

However discussions of sale of the club have gone on for over a year with no buyer as yet coming close to putting money down.
Are you saying that we're an exceptional case and there is no other club like us that loses money like we do?

I don't get it. The debt has been wiped, we should be an attractive proposition to buyers. Surely. Leicester have got wealthy owners, as have Southampton, Forest, even bloody Bournemouth.

Why have Bolton not been able to attract a buyer after all this time?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Loyal White wrote:We've definitely been trying to offload Medo since Lennon got here, I suspect Spearing too. No one wants them/is willing to pay their wages.

I suspect the same would be true of the likes of Wheater and Pratley plus others like Danns, Feaney, Pisano, Moxey, etc.

Mark Davies might be the exception, but I couldn't see us taking more than £500k for someone who struggles to play 20 games in a season.

I'm sure that we could probably get a couple of million for Clough, Vela and maybe Amos, but once that money pays off HMRC/Finance/Warburtons/etc we're still left with the high wage bill for the crap no one wants to take off our hands.
I think even Dougie himself was trying to offload Medo once the finances started biting him even harder. You have to imagine Spearing is among the club's highest earners. I sometimes wonder if we're paying an extra amount (to him or LFC) per appearance, too, given Lennon's apparent reluctance to pick him.

According to that Times report, Wheater got a pay-rise after relegation. Like you don't.

I tend to assume that apart from the odd outlier like Amos, the later you signed the less you're on. Can't think Moxey, Danns, Feeney are on much, Pisano next to bog-all. As for Pratley, depends how much we blinked during contract negotiations.
Jugs wrote:Why have Bolton not been able to attract a buyer after all this time?
Sadly, I think a lot of early possibilities were frightened off by the insistence (if true) of retaining Gartside as chairman and Davies as president. And now we look like financial roadkill, less likely to get picked up.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jugs wrote:Why have Bolton not been able to attract a buyer after all this time?
Sadly, I think a lot of early possibilities were frightened off by the insistence (if true) of retaining Gartside as chairman and Davies as president. And now we look like financial roadkill, less likely to get picked up.
If true, I - and I assume many other fans - would be pissed off. It's ridiculous that the club has got itself into this position.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Loyal White wrote:We've definitely been trying to offload Medo since Lennon got here, I suspect Spearing too. No one wants them/is willing to pay their wages.

I think even Dougie himself was trying to offload Medo once the finances started biting him even harder. You have to imagine Spearing is among the club's highest earners. I sometimes wonder if we're paying an extra amount (to him or LFC) per appearance, too, given Lennon's apparent reluctance to pick him.

According to that Times report, Wheater got a pay-rise after relegation. Like you don't.

I tend to assume that apart from the odd outlier like Amos, the later you signed the less you're on. Can't think Moxey, Danns, Feeney are on much, Pisano next to bog-all. As for Pratley, depends how much we blinked during contract negotiations.
If true. But maybe they were chancers who thought they could make a bit of a killing and didn't really take to the idea of anyone tagging along
who might just have the best interests of BWFC at heart

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:13 pm

I agree, but my point is that we have signed 9 first team players since the summer, brought in 2 loans (i've excluded Brattan as we're not paying him), and extended 2 contracts. If those salaries average £5k per week that's over £280k per month. For a club which can't pay it's wages or bills that's a considerable sum.

We should have been honest about the situation, not signed anyone, throw the kids in and hope... In hindsight it wouldn't have been any worse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Loyal White wrote:

I agree, but my point is that we have signed 9 first team players since the summer, brought in 2 loans (i've excluded Brattan as we're not paying him), and extended 2 contracts. If those salaries average £5k per week that's over £280k per month. For a club which can't pay it's wages or bills that's a considerable sum.

We should have been honest about the situation, not signed anyone, throw the kids in and hope... In hindsight it wouldn't have been any worse.
Yeah, wasn't arguing with that, fella. We seem to have hired mediocrity in bulk in a manner unknown since Sammy Lee.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Loyal White wrote:

Yeah, wasn't arguing with that, fella. We seem to have hired mediocrity in bulk in a manner unknown since Sammy Lee.
Completely agree DSB.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:03 pm

I thought Medo had gone to somewhere in Israel. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I thought Medo had gone to somewhere in Israel. :?
I think they pulled out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:I think someone needs to explain this one to me, and it might be a naive question but: Why is it that only a madman would take on BWFC?

We've got a fantastic stadium, good training facilities, a hotel, we're in the Championship, we're still a relatively big name in the football world ... why can't we find investors, especially now that the debt has been wiped? Why can City get investors, Forest, Leicester, Southampton, and so on but not Bolton. What's really so bad about us?
Because we are losing money hand over fist and have little value in our squad and therefore need not only large sums to simply stay afloat but huge investment to get moving upwards.

The sums we are losing are what is frightening apparently. We definitely don't have the full picture yet.

However discussions of sale of the club have gone on for over a year with no buyer as yet coming close to putting money down.
Are you saying that we're an exceptional case and there is no other club like us that loses money like we do?

I don't get it. The debt has been wiped, we should be an attractive proposition to buyers. Surely. Leicester have got wealthy owners, as have Southampton, Forest, even bloody Bournemouth.

Why do people buy a football club? If it is to make money then the only viable way is in the premiership. How much investment do we need to get there?

If it is for raising their profile then the value of our assets in terms of stadium, training facilities etc matter little and our playing squad would hardly attract them.

That leaves rich Bolton supporters of which we have already had one supporting us.

Other clubs have found buyers. Not all of them good. But how long did it take?

In context we are a Northern town club losing over a million a month with very few sellable assets (unless you count facilities) and some loans with eye watering terms that need dealing with. We aren't an attractive proposition. If this was Wigan or Hull or Huddersfield we'd all be saying what a mess. I think someone will buy us but whether they are a saviour and the timescale for that is to be determined.

Roy of the Rovers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Roy of the Rovers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Unfashionable Northern Hell Hole?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Not even a fashionable northern hell hole.

Ouch.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:39 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:The Sun are reporting that the owner has changed his mind for the time being and will pay the players wages

" BOLTON owner Eddie Davies will fork out around £1million to pay his players at Christmas — and prevent them from leaving for nothing.

The Isle of Man-based supremo has been persuaded he needs to make up the lost salaries due to Neil Lennon’s men at the cash-strapped club.
Davies had pulled the plug financially but was then advised that failing to pay the squad could mean the best of them go for nothing in the window next month.

So basically it wasn't a case of Eddie couldn't but Eddie wouldn't
Appears that whichever way it was still is...couldn't/wouldn't still equals isn't. Apparently. But then I'm paraphrasing Lennon and his grip on reality is increasingly focused on a universe parallel to the one I occupy.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:32 pm

all seems to have gone a bit quiet!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:37 pm

thebish wrote:all seems to have gone a bit quiet!
That's the sound of £32,258 and 6p fizzling out of existence each day...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください