The Debt.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: The Debt.

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:38 pm

Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:See I'm not fully convinced at that last bit yet...I'm fairly sure he would be aware of the direction of travel - fck me if we cottoned on then I'm not putting him as that stupid. Do you not think they'd have also had a conversation that went along the lines of
Eddie:.... "Phil, I'm stopping putting money in at date X. From then on, you'll need to have in place a model to cover the operating expense"

Phil:....... "Gulp, I don't feel well"

I'm not casting aspersions by the way,

Has crossed my mind as I've already mentioned once before.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:43 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:See I'm not fully convinced at that last bit yet...I'm fairly sure he would be aware of the direction of travel - fck me if we cottoned on then I'm not putting him as that stupid. Do you not think they'd have also had a conversation that went along the lines of
Eddie:.... "Phil, I'm stopping putting money in at date X. From then on, you'll need to have in place a model to cover the operating expense"

Nah, I'm in the, he's genuinely sick, squad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:If you're not prepared to, then fine, but don't go authorising Keith Andrews getting a 3 year deal on Prem wages, or Amos this summer.
Not quarrelling, just interjecting the name Jay Spearing, plus the phrases "David Wheater" and "pay rise". Those contracts were signed in summer 2013, under Freedman's watch. The next summer, while releasing Knight/Eagles/Mears, he signed Dean Moxey who is now held to be one of the better-shod squad members.

Seems to me (with the benefit of hindsight, obviously, but even so...) that major financial decisions have been taken every summer, not just by Coyle and Lennon.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Enoch wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Enoch wrote:

As am I, just saying it has crossed my mind.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:46 pm

That's the point I'm making he might not have "authorised" Keith Andrews getting anything. I'd have expected Gartside to authorise what Keith Andrews was getting and Amos this summer, within whatever budget he knew he had to get to. Certainly in the case of Amos (which is a good one to consider) we're fairly sure by that point ED had said he was stopping putting £1m per month in - so either ED said go out and do it (doubtful in my mind), or PG figured the deal he was going to put in place with Nucleus would cover any shortfall from ED stopping putting money in. It clearly hasn't.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:47 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Enoch wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Enoch wrote:

As am I, just saying it has crossed my mind.
Both could very easily be correct - he's in the genuinely sick squad - which I happen to believe as someone on here (Bobo iirc) said family friend had confirmed this. But he could be genuinely sick because of all the stress and worry...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Both could very easily be correct - he's in the genuinely sick squad - which I happen to believe as someone on here (Bobo iirc) said family friend had confirmed this. But he could be genuinely sick because of all the stress and worry...
That is a very fair and may I say, balanced view.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Enoch wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Enoch wrote:

Travel sick maybe, on the way to Barbados

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Self-inflicted sickness?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:50 pm

I have to say all the ire and bile against eddie and the insinuations about PG's poor health being made up is disappointing me a bit... it doesn't feel helpful or just to me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

thebish wrote:I have to say all the ire and bile against eddie and the insinuations about PG's poor health being made up is disappointing me a bit... it doesn't feel helpful or just to me.
Agreed but then neither is proposing a statue to Eddie :spank:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:12 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
thebish wrote:I have to say all the ire and bile against eddie and the insinuations about PG's poor health being made up is disappointing me a bit... it doesn't feel helpful or just to me.
I don't think (most) people are insinuating that PG has made up his illness, more that it might be as a result of the stress of the wheels coming off and the poor state of our finances truly coming to light. Without condoning or condemning, it's an understandable viewpoint. It did come about very quickly, and not long after the news started to break.
Perhaps Phil having to step down because of his illness prompted a more urgent change in the upper management?

I believe he's really ill... the stress of running us and the cost cutting we've had to do in the last few years whilst continually getting it in the neck from the fans must've taken it's toll on him, especially someone who is as much a fan of the club as we are. He cares whatever mistakes he made in charge and that must've had an impact.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
:D without him, the town would have missed out on much awesomeness and national newsworthiness and profile... there are worse candidates for a town statue!

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:22 pm

But even that situation seems badly handled to me. To stop the insinuation and rumours just requires a simple statement from the club/Pg's family along on the lines of what his illness is/when it occurred and wishing the public to respect the family's privacy.

He may not wish to disclose details, which is his right but that would stop the constant rumours and badwill towards Gartside instantly. Like you say it's doing no one any good.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:
But even that situation seems badly handled to me. To stop the insinuation and rumours just requires a simple statement from the club/Pg's family along on the lines of what his illness is/when it occurred and wishing the public to respect the family's privacy.

He may not wish to disclose details, which is his right but that would stop the constant rumours and badwill towards Gartside instantly. Like you say it's doing no one any good.
I thought they'd done all of the above (other than the what date it occurred bit) - he's had a stroke and they wished the public to respect the family's privacy.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... iously_ill_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:35 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:

It wouldn't help.

If, say, his family say he's been battling liver cancer for 18 months (cf D. Bowie), I don't think it would stop some people saying things have been going wrong for longer.

If he's suffering from anything even remotely stress-related, it won't stop some people saying they aren't surprised given the financial cluster-bomb about to explode.

The club have done a fair few things wrong lately but the statement-then-silence over the chairman's illness is one thing I think they've done quite well.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:

It wouldn't help.

If, say, his family say he's been battling liver cancer for 18 months (cf D. Bowie), I don't think it would stop some people saying things have been going wrong for longer.

If he's suffering from anything even remotely stress-related, it won't stop some people saying they aren't surprised given the financial cluster-bomb about to explode.

The club have done a fair few things wrong lately but the statement-then-silence over the chairman's illness is one thing I think they've done quite well.
Yeah fair points. I'm not accounting for the internet's stupidity!
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:46 pm

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
:D without him, the town would have missed out on much awesomeness and national newsworthiness and profile... there are worse candidates for a town statue!

And with him, we may not have a club to support!

Listen, I'm still confident that something good will come out of all this. I mean no ill harm towards ED and Garty. but... the way the club has been run, particularly since we got relegated, has been nothing short of diabolical! Blame for me, sits firmly at they're feet!

And no!!! it does't mean I'm not thankful for some of the triumphs that went before!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:51 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Listen, I'm still confident that something good will come out of all this. I mean no ill harm towards ED and Garty. but... the way the club has been run, particularly since we got relegated, has been nothing short of diabolical! Blame for me, sits firmly at they're feet!

And no!!! it does't mean I'm not thankful for some of the triumphs that went before!
and that thankfulness can be expressed in a statue! everyone's a winner! :D

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 pm

thebish wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

and that thankfulness can be expressed in a statue! everyone's a winner! :D

Little one then, toy one. :D