The Debt.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The Debt.

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:21 am

Obviously different contracts have different terms.

If a contract doesn't specify a period of notice then, gross misconduct or mutual agreement apart, you are entitled to be paid until it ends.

If notice is specified then that period applies of course.

Football managers have often these days got 12 month rolling contracts .... effectively a 12 notice period. If terminated you'll exit with 12 months pay.

Megson must have been on one of those. We chose to pay him each month ... quite reasonable. I must presume there was a clause which said pay would cease if he took up other work. That p'd him off & he claimed we were preventing him finding other jobs. We weren't ... we were simply saying that if he did he'd stop being paid by us for doing fck all. If the contract permits that then fair enough.

Freeman was on a contract which would have ended around the end of this season. I'm surprised there is nothing in the accounts to cover any pay off for him and his pointless team of hanger-ons. I'd be amazed if we weren't required to pay them up to to May/June. I wonder if there wasn't just another place or year-end to account for it.

Lennie Lawrence would be more interesting as he was asked to cover the gap but declined. So you could argue he resigned rather than had his contract terminated. Any decent lawyer would be able to make a case that the working relationship was too broken to continue though.

To be fair to Freeman, for once, when he left he did leave quietly and with no obvious fuss ... as opposed to Megson. So we have to assume all were reasonably content with what was sort out.

In fact, wasn't the cost of sacking him cited as a reason we were hanging onto him at one stage ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:19 am

^^^ I've just remembered why I didn't go into HR !!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:31 am

Beefheart wrote:^^^ I've just remembered why I didn't go into HR !!
Mental agility ? Personality ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:45 pm

sammy lee sat on his arse for 12months too.

i reckon its all pissing into the ocean when compared with team coyle.

we were on our arse going down and they couldve fecked him off like they did with freedman , but they give him a new contract. but no one knows exactly when.

emergency jimmy phillips wouldve beat stoke.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon May 11, 2015 10:18 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/12942102._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take over talks gather pace??
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 11, 2015 10:44 am

Riviman wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/12942102._/

Investment would, of course, be welcome - and it feels better to be from Norn iron (Lenny as a trojan horse?) than from Thailand somehow...

but - the question always nags at the back of my mind - what on earth has an investor got to gain from investment in us? (negatively put as - what have we got to lose should it not deliver as the investors hope?)
It has been suggested that Davies would have to write off most or all the money owed to him by Wanderers – some £167million – in order for a deal to go through.
if he does that - we should build him a feck-huge statue and name all the stands after him! (which - thinking about it - might make buying tickets more difficult!)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon May 11, 2015 11:27 am

thebish wrote:(which - thinking about it - might make buying tickets more difficult!)[/i]
'The Eddie Davies East Stand Lower.'

Aye, that should bugger the buggers.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon May 11, 2015 11:56 am

thebish wrote:
Riviman wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/12942102._/

Investment would, of course, be welcome - and it feels better to be from Norn iron (Lenny as a trojan horse?) than from Thailand somehow...

but - the question always nags at the back of my mind - what on earth has an investor got to gain from investment in us? (negatively put as - what have we got to lose should it not deliver as the investors hope?)
It has been suggested that Davies would have to write off most or all the money owed to him by Wanderers – some £167million – in order for a deal to go through.
if he does that - we should build him a feck-huge statue and name all the stands after him! (which - thinking about it - might make buying tickets more difficult!)
Yeah, but if someone comes in and says, for example, 'I'll give you £50m for the club but you have to write off the debt' that's £50m more than he's going to get from the club at any time in the future and a deal wouldn't go through if he didn't write off the remaining debt. I imagine he'd snap their hands off.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 pm

and - for those who know these things - what material difference would it make for us?

to be debtless would be nice - but in terms of investment (playing staff?) what would we actually be allowed to do that we can't do now?

presumably the debt repayments are not a saving as Eddie has waived those for a while (hasn't he?)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 11, 2015 12:36 pm

I sure hope somebody does buy into us. Even with the debt totally written off, some serious investment is needed to make us a viable business again. We've just spent our third full season in the Championship to decreasing crowds, a lower half finish and lost most of our players to cut increasing debt. We play as Bolton with players that hardly know each other. That just won't work as a business. Bournemouth, a seaside club with a ground capacity and facilities less than half of ours, just got promoted. We need the Premiership and its financial rewards or we'll finish up playing on Moss Bank with floodlights. Okay, it's a no-shxt-Sherlock statement, but unless somebody invests some capital in us, we're a Titanic in the making. That's not an understement but reality. Please somebody make Bolton Wanderers back into the great club we once were. Oh that a miracle could drop the Reebok Macron stadium back onto Manchester Road instead of six miles out of town up on the moors.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 11, 2015 1:20 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Beefheart wrote:^^^ I've just remembered why I didn't go into HR !!
Mental agility ? Personality ?
Probably being professionally competent :D (I kid!)

I'd be hopeful and supportive of a takeover so long as it actually benefited the club overall through investment in squad and infrastructure, rather than a Mike Ashely style leeching that is occurring at Newcastle. We're a team with premier league facilities, an (arguably) premier league level coach, and a demoralised lower championship level squad. If we can sort the squad out, I can see us progressing upwards and staying there.
Thing is though, you could say the same of half the teams in our league and probably a quarter of the division below
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Club denies it:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/12 ... ef=mr&lp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In response to an article published in The Bolton News on Monday 11 May, 2015, Bolton Wanderers can categorically deny that any talks between the club and a potential Irish consortium have taken place.

"The club will be making no further comment."

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun May 17, 2015 8:59 am

Investment might be back on the menu...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 pm

apparantly 'middle easterners' of some kind

i'd LOL if it was some jews.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:05 am

a1 wrote:apparantly 'middle easterners' of some kind

i'd LOL if it was some jews.
Glaziers out !!!!

FC Wanderers of Bolton :oyea:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 am

jaffka wrote:Investment might be back on the menu...

Any more detail?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Any more detail?
Only what he's read on Nixons twitter

ITK

FACT
Sto ut Serviam

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:47 pm

nelson66 wrote: Glaziers out !!!!

FC Wanderers of Bolton :oyea:
i meant it in a more "jews are tight" stereotype rather than holocaust denier/free the british mandate of palistine type stuff.

lose a pound , find a penny. like the oxford united / darlington / rangers / michael knighton / etc takeover .

or "our" rumoured two rival thais co-ownership thing from the recent past that sounded bonkers.

similarly- thaksin shinawat is probably still "fit and proper" to own a football club despite being number 5 on Interpol's forbes's white collar wanted list.

i'm wary of it.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon May 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Any more detail?
http://www.itv.com/news/2015-05-18/uefa ... ext-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be interesting to see how this develops.

The story is aimed at champions league clubs and there are legal challenges on going.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon May 18, 2015 8:17 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Any more detail?
Only what he's read on Nixons twitter

ITK

FACT
You're a dickhead.