The Debt.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Debt.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 am

Izual_Rebirth wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Izual_Rebirth wrote:
Riviman wrote:
Parachute payment used to pay off the bank debt so now we only owe £150 odd million to Eddie !! Paying off the debt to the bank may have cost us the Juke but as the bank could have foreclosed us for non payment of the money at least we stay in business.
Not really the point if we're still losing money hand over fist. Eventually the parachute payments will stop.
Given our striker shortage, do you think we should loan a young Premier League reserve or take a chance on a minor-league foreigner?

I'm just wondering if you have more than one opinion, you see.
A mixture of experience and youth to be honest. There are plenty of decent forwards in the League 1 who I'd love to see us take a chance on. Someone like Callum Wilson would have been a good signing.
With what money?

Izual_Rebirth
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Izual_Rebirth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Izual_Rebirth wrote:
Izual_Rebirth wrote:
Riviman wrote:
Parachute payment used to pay off the bank debt so now we only owe £150 odd million to Eddie !! Paying off the debt to the bank may have cost us the Juke but as the bank could have foreclosed us for non payment of the money at least we stay in business.
Not really the point if we're still losing money hand over fist. Eventually the parachute payments will stop.
Given our striker shortage, do you think we should loan a young Premier League reserve or take a chance on a minor-league foreigner?

A mixture of experience and youth to be honest. There are plenty of decent forwards in the League 1 who I'd love to see us take a chance on. Someone like Callum Wilson would have been a good signing.
With what money?
Sorry I thought you wanted me to act like everyone else on here and bury my head in the sand and assume we can spend as much as possible because the owner will pick up the bill.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Izual_Rebirth wrote:
Izual_Rebirth wrote:
Riviman wrote:

With what money?
With all the money you get for going into administration, silly! :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:With all the money you get for going into administration, silly! :roll:
It was just I was surprised his suggestion involved a £3M player. Double the price of the player we just didn't have the money for.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 am

A funny thing happened on the way to the Debt forum.......Reasons to be fearful......?? :wink:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/on ... reat-lever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A funny thing happened on the way to the Debt forum.......Reasons to be fearful......?? :wink:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/on ... reat-lever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is all very true and I do worry about what happens to BWFC when Eddies ticker gives up?

Personally after watching us rise from the old 3rd division to the old first division back down to the old 4th division and the back up to the Premier League and the slow decline back to an also ran Championship team. I do not think the only way is up I fear our decline is not yet over!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Norpig wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:A funny thing happened on the way to the Debt forum.......Reasons to be fearful......?? :wink:

It is all very true and I do worry about what happens to BWFC when Eddies ticker gives up?

Personally after watching us rise from the old 3rd division to the old first division back down to the old 4th division and the back up to the Premier League and the slow decline back to an also ran Championship team. I do not think the only way is up I fear our decline is not yet over!!
Feels that way. It has an air of inevitability about it to me. Feels a bit like "you've had your good times now enjoy the doldrums".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:36 pm

There's no cosmic narrative ffs! Sure, a shedload of cash would be nice, but plenty teams have shown you can have relative success on a small budget. If we do the right things we'll do well, if we don't we won't.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:There's no cosmic narrative ffs! Sure, a shedload of cash would be nice, but plenty teams have shown you can have relative success on a small budget. If we do the right things we'll do well, if we don't we won't.
What has happened to similar sized clubs who have slipped from the top flight after a period of overachievement?

It isn't cosmic, just more a natural dissipation of energy and resolve around the place I suspect. Plus bad decisions and bad luck.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:There's no cosmic narrative ffs! Sure, a shedload of cash would be nice, but plenty teams have shown you can have relative success on a small budget. If we do the right things we'll do well, if we don't we won't.
Which, if we didn't owe 150 million pounds would be exactly the case and answer. Unfortunately, we do.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:15 pm

To one guy. We'll spend more money this year than Burnley did last. Or Blackpool did when they went up. It's hard with no money, of course it is. It means we're not favourites, but as last year, and the year before, our budget will be far more than the 'poor' teams in this league. We're spending enough that we can compete. After that, it's how well we use it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
What has happened to similar sized clubs who have slipped from the top flight after a period of overachievement?

It isn't cosmic, just more a natural dissipation of energy and resolve around the place I suspect. Plus bad decisions and bad luck.

We aren't them. What happens to us this year isn't dictated by history, or fate or any sort of narrative. Plenty teams have come down and struggled, but that's because they didn't do the right things. We have to make sure do.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
We aren't them. What happens to us this year isn't dictated by history, or fate or any sort of narrative. Plenty teams have come down and struggled, but that's because they didn't do the right things. We have to make sure do.
Ah Pru. So you don't believe in God, Father Christmas, fortune or fairies and you think there's a solid formula that excludes luck, weather, rub of the green, bounce of the ball, injuries and the insubstantial and unpredictable element that is the human form.( add referees in that bit)

In reality, you do the best you can and hope it's good enough. There are no guarantees.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well I'm looking more at trends. Like say every tech startup company is different but they all have common factors and issues and often similar reasons for failing early.

Relegated clubs who have overperformed for a while probably have similar trends...history of overspending to keep in the top flight, several managerial changes, players underperforming, a negative air around the club and support, debt, top level staff who have perhaps lost energy....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Ah Pru. So you don't believe in God, Father Christmas, fortune or fairies and you think there's a solid formula that excludes luck, weather, rub of the green, bounce of the ball, injuries and the insubstantial and unpredictable element that is the human form.( add referees in that bit)

In reality, you do the best you can and hope it's good enough. There are no guarantees.
That may be the most tautological sentence in history!

Of course chance plays a part. That's not relevant to whether we do 'well' which is a deliberately vague word. If we do the right things, we'll improve, we'll win games, and if we get some luck that might mean we can get promoted/ reach the play-offs whatever.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

That may be the most tautological sentence in history!Of course chance plays a part. That's not relevant to whether we do 'well' which is a deliberately vague word. If we do the right things, we'll improve, we'll win games, and if we get some luck that might mean we can get promoted/ reach the play-offs whatever.
Hyperbole Alert :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well I'm looking more at trends. Like say every tech startup company is different but they all have common factors and issues and often similar reasons for failing early.

Relegated clubs who have overperformed for a while probably have similar trends...history of overspending to keep in the top flight, several managerial changes, players underperforming, a negative air around the club and support, debt, top level staff who have perhaps lost energy....
Yeah I get that argument. I think plenty teams get relegated, and as you and I personally did two years ago, think that a few tweaks will be what's needed. They then find out there are bigger reasons they went down.

Other clubs have gone down to League 1 before surging back up. My own theory is that that's because they hit 'rock bottom', have a massive clear out and go back to the beginning which allows these relatively big for the division clubs to get on a roll. There's no reason you should *have* to go down again to do that.

In all cases though, it comes down to finding what you're not doing well, and doing it better. Everything else follows that. We've got rid of most of the shite now. Hopefully we can replace with goodun's and at least have a positive season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

That may be the most tautological sentence in history!Of course chance plays a part. That's not relevant to whether we do 'well' which is a deliberately vague word. If we do the right things, we'll improve, we'll win games, and if we get some luck that might mean we can get promoted/ reach the play-offs whatever.
Hyperbole Alert :wink:
He just said different words for 'luck' like a BILLION times :D!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: Hyperbole Alert :wink:
He just said different words for 'luck' like a BILLION times :D!
:lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
That may be the most tautological sentence in history!
Of course chance plays a part. That's not relevant to whether we do 'well' which is a deliberately vague word. If we do the right things, we'll improve, we'll win games, and if we get some luck that might mean we can get promoted/ reach the play-offs whatever.
Oh, well, er sorted then. Thanks for the lesson. Tautological,hey? There's a load of Greek bollocks for meaning repeating/saying the same thing if you will. Hey ho, it'll sound good in court I suppose. :)