Going up the Rs

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Going up the Rs

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Quite enjoyed that, and not in a self-schadenfreude way...

Nice to meet some TW types, some for the first time.

The game felt very far from one featuring a Premier League team against a League One side. If they're the second best team in this division it's very average. More like they are bog-standard big earners who will do very badly in the top flight... Except of course that Harry will Spend Large and replace them all. They can't even sell all their tickets for this weekend's crunch home game with Burnley. Hollowest. Promotion. Ever. (If they get it.)

Us? Didn't look fearful, let alone outclassed. Organised off the ball, but too hesitant on it. Once Sparky started running at them they looked more worried than us. Juke looks useful - not fast but determined - and will rival Cravies for hard work.

I'd've liked to see Moritz coming on rather than Lee, who created a few openings but blazed them into the top tier.

A word for White, who looked far from overawed even when faced with £26m sub Shaun Wright Phillips. Funny thing, football: sometimes it's a surprisingly level playing field.
Agree with a lot of that, performance better than the result. QPR: Expensively average. Played like a team who thought they were better than they were, whereas we played like a team who weren't as bad as we thought.

I thought we were that little bit of verve, arrogance, winning mentality, belief, whatever, short of turning them over.

Have to disagree on White though; I've been one to say blood the kids, but he looked like a youth team winger playing right back to me.

Good to meet several folks from here too. All very charming.

Except that Enoch.
As a forum virgin, I've got to say that tonight verged on the quite pleasant, despite the result. I met several regulars off here, but BIG RESPECT to Enoch (tickets), DSB (insight) and Prufrock (Guinness). And some others too!

As for the match, pretty much as DSB reports, we didn't disgrace ourselves, they were fairly mediocre for a top two side. We are very much a team "in transition". If I was in charge, I'd have my mind on next season (without the fancy dans) rather than this.

At the risk of repeating myself, there are some decent people on this site. Let's not lose that.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:46 am

we had some decent spells, but look terrified and unorganised without the ball. and we were definitely on top until they scored.

I think they were there for the taking, if only we could’ve left our better players on the pitch rather than like for like swaps we might’ve had a chance.

I thought white looked erratic, Lukas too slow. Chung-yong was poor, Medo gives it away too much. And so so many through balls that nobody runs on to - Do these lads not train with each other or what??

Were you all in O’Niells? We were in there too. Wouldn’t let us in the Defectors...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 am

a1 wrote:
jaffka wrote:
I understand now, you are a kid, prob about 12.

Time for bed now for me.

Get some new jokes eh!
you didn't answer it.
Will you two get a room or meet up and resolve it like men. You are both boring me with your petty squabbles.

Oh, and jaffka, will you calm the feck down. You have been like Mr Angry for the last few weeks.

Ta.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 am

So we palyed ok (ish), against a team that cost zillions, but lost. Again. Mmmmmmm...........Dougie's cracked the problem then................. :crazy:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 am

Caption time! Have fun:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:03 am

From the stream I thought we did ok. Better than I expected down there. It was a blow for Ream to go off so early. White didn't disgrace himself by any means, but nobody can tell me he is better than the options we have in the first team and at times IMO he looked out of his depth. But with a bit more experience via a loan at least he looks to have something about him. I feel that these kids will have to come into their own next season. At least he's got height.

It is the same old story though of playing ok, not taking our chances and not being able to shut a team out for 90 minutes. 0-0 would have been a good result last night.

I really hope we can bring some players in now to help us steer clear of the bottom 3. We looked a much better team with McNaughton in it and that need is even more pressing now. And if there is any chance at all for Dawson, please God, we've suffered enough, make it happen, please.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 am

Just so I don't have to traipse back through all of this - what happened to Ream (please)?
May the bridges I burn light your way

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 am

Broke his nose
Hopefully it'll toughen him up a bit

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:At least he's got height.
But so has Zat Knight
Which all counts for nowt
Coz he's utterly shite.

Thank-you very much indeed. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Broke his nose
Hopefully it'll toughen him up a bit

Ooof. Cheers, matey.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:At least he's got height.
But so has Zat Knight
Which all counts for nowt
Coz he's utterly shite.

Thank-you very much indeed. :)
But I reckon with kids that aren't world class, you've got a better chance if one is 6ft plus than one that is 5ft 6 especially as a defender. Marc Iles was saying similar in his blog, that he worries that some of the better youngsters we've got lack height AND physicality.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:44 am

General Mannerheim wrote:we had some decent spells, but look terrified and unorganised without the ball
Game of opinions, General, but I thought we looked less worried without the ball - organised, compact, shuttling across when QPR switched. It's when we got on the ball that I thought we looked less certain. For instance, in the move that ended up with Cravies smacking a belter against the bar, the way seemed clear for Sparky to drive at the heart of QPR - Karl Henry and Richard f*cking Dunne, for Pete's sake - but he opted to pass sideways.

QPR had three shots on target, same as us. We had more shots overall. Wouldn't have predicted that. Had Lee not been unable to finish the openings he jinked into...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:From the stream I thought we did ok. Better than I expected down there. It was a blow for Ream to go off so early. White didn't disgrace himself by any means, but nobody can tell me he is better than the options we have in the first team and at times IMO he looked out of his depth. But with a bit more experience via a loan at least he looks to have something about him. I feel that these kids will have to come into their own next season. At least he's got height.
So, the kid didn't disgrace himself? That puts him ahead of the whole of the first team when it comes to disgracing one self. No one is saying play him week in week out, just some times it makes sense to play a full back in a full back position, rather than square pegs and all that. It doesn't sound like he was any worse than many performances put in this season by some of our defenders.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 am

There's an equation to bear in mind: is Baptiste at left-back plus White at right-back better than Ream left and Bap right?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There's an equation to bear in mind: is Baptiste at left-back plus White at right-back better than Ream left and Bap right?
Do we know if Ream is going to be ok for the next game(s)?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:54 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There's an equation to bear in mind: is Baptiste at left-back plus White at right-back better than Ream left and Bap right?
(B=l+W=r)≥(R=l+B=r)?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:07 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
(B=l+W=r)≥(R=l+B=r)?
= Still concede too many; can't score any= relegation. When are we gonna wake up !!!????

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Caption time! Have fun:

Zat Knight manages a season's best jump, reaching 1.34" from the ground.

What I saw on the stream before I had to leave was OK. Not mesmeric, but OK. It sounds like the overall performance was generally decent.

It's a loss & I guess we can analyse that to death, but compared with Reading it showed some heart & organisation. Our season's failings won't be defined by how poor we are against QPR away, but those many poor performances at home against very, very, ordinary sides.

Overall, I have to admit, that was a better outcome than I feared and it sounds like with a tad more luck &/or cool headedness we could have come away with something.

Add that to what sounds like a TW love-in and an OK evening despite zero points and views like your driving a tank.

Did we miss N'Gog ? (only joking).
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Caption time! Have fun:

Sometimes the cross from a winger in open play is good enough to take defenders out of the equation.
or
Charlie Austin gets in ahead of Bolton debutant Hayden White to give QPR the lead.
or
Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper fails to command his area
or
Dougie Freedman is a prick with a gammy eye for letting QPR score in this manner.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 am

A defender who hasn't even jumped, aye