Bolton Furies?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Are you in favour of the Bolton Furies takeover

No, Wanderers till we die!
62%
Yes and thank you very much!
14%
Errmmm... Can we talk?
24%

Total votes: 50

William the White
Legend
Legend

Bolton Furies?

Post by William the White » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 am

An immensely rich East Asian businessman wants to buy Bolton Wanderers. He will get rid of the debt, give the club a £50 million transfer kitty. Employ a star manager from - say - Argentina.

All he wants is to get rid of the name 'Wanderers' which is a marketing disaster. He wants to rename the club Bolton Furies. In his country white is the colour of funerals and mourning. The Furies will play in all red. The club's nickname will be the Red Dawn.

Do you say 'No, never, Wanderers till we die' 'Yes, thank you very much?' Of 'Can we talk about it?'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton Furies?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 am

A very good question. Of course I'm tempted to say "Wanderers till we die" but then the response could well be "Well I'll just put Eddie's kettle on while we wait"...

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:35 am

No No No. Because then them horrible bstds from Wolverhampton would be able to claim to be the one and only wanderers. Amd we can't be having that.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 am

William the White wrote:An immensely rich East Asian businessman wants to buy Bolton Wanderers. He will get rid of the debt, give the club a £50 million transfer kitty. Employ a star manager from - say - Argentina.

All he wants is to get rid of the name 'Wanderers' which is a marketing disaster. He wants to rename the club Bolton Furies. In his country white is the colour of funerals and mourning. The Furies will play in all red. The club's nickname will be the Red Dawn.
Do you say 'No, never, Wanderers till we die' 'Yes, thank you very much?' Of 'Can we talk about it?'
This bit meant I was out.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:04 pm

They would no longer be the club I support, but good luck to them.. However, I declare myself out.
Last edited by boltonboris on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

No.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:11 pm

meh... we've played in red before... the crowd would still sing "we are the one and only wanderers" (look what happened at Newcastle when the bloke tried to change the stadium name..)

we might have a new official name - but i don't see how an owner could decide what people call us as a nickname - Red Dawn would never catch on - we'd still be the trotters or the wanderers despite what a new owner wanted... you can;'t choose your own nickname...

my support has survived moving many miles away from the town and the club upping sticks and buggering off to Horwich and changing the name of the stadium to a sports clothing company - so it would easily survive this - especially if it were in preference to going out of business altogether...

bring it on moneybags! :D

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 pm

No thanks.

The name and the colour of the home strip would always be red line issues in any discussions... I can never understand how these things have happened with other clubs.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 pm

I don't know

But I do know it wouldn't be answer 1
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:22 pm

William the White wrote:An immensely rich East Asian businessman wants to buy Bolton Wanderers. He will get rid of the debt, give the club a £50 million transfer kitty. Employ a star manager from - say - Argentina.

£50M is nothing nowadays. 10 times that might fund some success over a decent period of time though.

Bottom line is if the bloke is not a nutter genuinely wants to bring success and has the cash to back it up, we're not in a position to turn our noses up.

But those conditions would have to be met first!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Could we send a colour expert in to talk him round into how appropriate the symbol of funerals and mourning is in our case?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYzLnyFjUVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:49 pm

I don't think my attachment to football is strong enough to support a different team.

To echo Boris's sentiments, do what you like if that's the way its going, not for me. If it really is just about business and money, why don't we just merge with United and save ourselves the hassle? You'd do it in other businesses, why should football be a sacred cow. If, and it is an if, football is just another business.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I don't think my attachment to football is strong enough to support a different team.
This raises the interesting question of how a football team maintains its identity (similar to Theseus's Paradox). It can't be to do with any individuals connected with it - they've all changed in my lifetime. As has strip, and even ground.

Is it the name? If so, we'd have to concede that Christ Church FC and Bolton Wanderers were two completely different entities, so probably not (although it is interesting to note that the club celebrated 125 years on the anniversary of the name change to Bolton Wanderers, rather than on the foundation of Christ Church FC...)

If it is merely some sort of tenuous "thread of history" then the club would still be the same. Although you could argue that the number of changes made in one go constituted some sort of qualitative change in the nature of the club. But I'm not convinced.

As it stands, I'd say go for it. It would, at least, be funny. But then, I haven't been to a match since they sacked Coyle, and don't intend to go until Davies and Gartside are given the boot.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:26 pm

What if it's a choice between Bolton Furies, or BWAFC in the 7th tier after going bust?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:40 pm

I'd take the offer, yeah. The shirt colour, name and nickname don't define the club for me so whilst it'd be slightly annoying, it wouldn't stop me from being a Bolton fan. My feelings towards the club are greater than the annoyance of being rebranded.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 pm

You lose your history when you lose the name.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm

That's the kind of shite Liverpool fans come out with. What does that even mean? How do you 'lose' history. Is it confiscated?

I'd be f*cked off and would probably stop going - not in protest, just in weariness.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Puskas wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I don't think my attachment to football is strong enough to support a different team.
This raises the interesting question of how a football team maintains its identity (similar to Theseus's Paradox). It can't be to do with any individuals connected with it - they've all changed in my lifetime. As has strip, and even ground.

Is it the name? If so, we'd have to concede that Christ Church FC and Bolton Wanderers were two completely different entities, so probably not (although it is interesting to note that the club celebrated 125 years on the anniversary of the name change to Bolton Wanderers, rather than on the foundation of Christ Church FC...)

If it is merely some sort of tenuous "thread of history" then the club would still be the same. Although you could argue that the number of changes made in one go constituted some sort of qualitative change in the nature of the club. But I'm not convinced.

As it stands, I'd say go for it. It would, at least, be funny. But then, I haven't been to a match since they sacked Coyle, and don't intend to go until Davies and Gartside are given the boot.
Or Trigger's Broom!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Puskas wrote:I haven't been to a match since they sacked Coyle,
Any particular reason that was the watershed, or is that just how it's worked out for personal reasons?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:20 pm

His brother must've been at Bristol last year

And Charlton

And Bournemouth
Sto ut Serviam