Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Sounds like Juke to Burnley is now happening. £1.5M fee agreed and on way for medical. Presumably that fee is way out of our reach?
Now that's a shame.

The "playing it cool' approach didn't quite come off did it ?

Can't blame the lad. Premiership footy and all that.

Right .... who now ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:28 am

Premier league will always be a pull and obviously something we cannot compete with.

Duggie will put on a brave face but it will be interesting behind the scenes as the juke was the player he really wanted. Square peg and square holes and all that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Right .... who now ?
That stocky unit at Preston. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Right .... who now ?
That stocky unit at Preston. :D
One of them has already come home who has reason to be pissed off with Duggie.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Sounds like Juke to Burnley is now happening. £1.5M fee agreed and on way for medical. Presumably that fee is way out of our reach?
Now that's a shame.

Can't blame the lad. Premiership footy and all that.

Right .... who now ?
Well we were supposedly waiting for a fee to be agreed before we stepped in so as not to start a bidding war. Suspect we expected a lower fee and a championship club though.

Based on Freedman's comments in the paper this morning and what Iles and Nixon have been saying, Freedman is not going to be a happy bunny, to put it mildly.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:36 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Now that's a shame.
Can't blame the lad. Premiership footy and all that. Right .... who now ?
Sounds a bit sad and a reflection of our demise when not long ago we were flinging 13 mil? or so at Elmander, yet now can't manage 1.5 mil for a striker the fans like and want and playing second fiddle to Burnley. Makes it worse when we lashed 4 mil out on Sordell and the guys who turned it round a bit were a couple of loanees. Seems like Eddie Davies has got tough with the club. Methinks Dougie had better produce something positive pretty early in the coming season.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Sounds a bit sad and a reflection of our demise when not long ago we were flinging 13 mil? or so at Elmander
Don't start that again! :D

Juke - pity if he doesn't come but we were always going to struggle to afford the fee, and if we could, avoid competition. Pull of PL too much.

Baptiste - weird, weird, weird. Weird that he was never tried at CB. Weirder that he seems to have wanted to play there. Weird that he was quickly excised at the end of the season, but if he is/was on good wages and doesn't want to be here, then glad we've swapped him out - for a better defender. Freedman far from smelling of roses in this but he's dealt with the situation and improved the team. Let's hope it's onwards and upwards.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:16 am

As great as it would have been to have the Juke here, he isn't exactly a superstar. This could be a blessing in disguise? Could get someone even better? Maybe? Lol

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:35 am

The latest fromt' Turf is that Dyche is hoping to sign The Juke and Troy Deeney this morning ahead of their pre-season tour of Austria, for which they'll set off later today.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:The latest fromt' Turf is that Dyche is hoping to sign The Juke and Troy Deeney this morning ahead of their pre-season tour of Austria, for which they'll set off later today.
... with Sordell a bench warmer ? Especially once Vokes is fit again.

Poor lamb may get all homesick .... again.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The latest fromt' Turf is that Dyche is hoping to sign The Juke and Troy Deeney this morning ahead of their pre-season tour of Austria, for which they'll set off later today.

Ings ain't what they used to be...?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:48 pm

We have a veritable plethora of young up and coming right backs. Hayden White anyone?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Though Deeney was off as Watford had priced him too high, hence Burnley going for Juke?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:We have a veritable plethora of young up and coming right backs. Hayden White anyone?
Not off the evidence I've seen!

Stick with Threlkeld and Riley, ta.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Though Deeney was off as Watford had priced him too high, hence Burnley going for Juke?
Burnley remain in talks with Middlesbrough over Jutkiewicz, but want to secure a double striker swoop by landing Deeney as well.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche has made Watford's top scorer his number one target for the Premier League season.

And he is determined not to be put off by interest from Swansea, who have bettered the offer that Burnley had rejected last week.

The Premier League new boys had a bid believed to be between £5million-£6million turned down by Dyche's former club.

But the Clarets boss is determined to secure a reunion with the 26-year-old, and supplement his strike force with Jutkiewicz.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Though Deeney was off as Watford had priced him too high, hence Burnley going for Juke?
Burnley remain in talks with Middlesbrough over Jutkiewicz, but want to secure a double striker swoop by landing Deeney as well.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche has made Watford's top scorer his number one target for the Premier League season.

And he is determined not to be put off by interest from Swansea, who have bettered the offer that Burnley had rejected last week.

The Premier League new boys had a bid believed to be between £5million-£6million turned down by Dyche's former club.

But the Clarets boss is determined to secure a reunion with the 26-year-old, and supplement his strike force with Jutkiewicz.
I'll be surprised if they sign both. How many strikers do they really need? If they do like, I wonder which championship club will have poor Marvin on their bench this season?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Yeah, Marvin surely 5th choice at best if they get both of those two.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Ings ain't what they used to be...?
Ah .... him and all !

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: I'll be surprised if they sign both. How many strikers do they really need? If they do like, I wonder which championship club will have poor Marvin on their bench this season?
Well indeed. Do we know if Deeney and Marvelous ever played together at Watford btw?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Yes they did.

A rather a long article I posted on Bolton Nuts forum about Deeney if anyone is interested -

One to Watch out for - Watford - Troy Deeney

Shame Owen sign his partner up front - Sordell!

Born in Birmingham, West Midlands, Deeney started his career in Aston Villa's youth scheme but was released at the age of 15. He joined Chelmsley Town a little while after whilst also studying to become a builder, at Carilion Construction Training, in Erdington. Whilst at Chelmsley he was talent spotted by Walsall. After signing for them on 18th December 2006, Deeney was instantly sent out to Halesowen Town on loan for the rest of the 2006–07 season.

He scored his first professional competitive goal for the Saddlers against Millwall, in September 2007 assisting Walsall to a 2–1 win. This turned out to be his only goal of the 2007–08 season, and the 2008–09 season started similarly for him, only managing two goals in the first half of the season. However, the introduction of Chris Hutchings as manager coincided with Deeney finding a goalscoring touch. Helped by the fact his new manager started playing him in his favoured striking position, instead of on the right-wing as previous manager Jimmy Mullen had, Deeney scored nine goals in Hutchings' first 12 games in charge. On 9th September 2009, it was announced that Deeney had signed a new two-year deal until 2011. Deeney was voted Walsall's Player of the Year for the 2009–10 season at an awards ceremony on 9th May 2010. Deeney scored 14 goals during the season.

On 4 August 2010, Deeney handed in a written transfer request amid interest from several Championship clubs. He signed for Watford two days later for an initial fee of £250,000 rising up to £500,000 on a two-year contract. On the same day Deeney signed for Watford, he played a part in their 3–2 win against Norwich City on the opening day of the season coming on for Marvin Sordell in the second half. Deeney scored his first Watford goal against Notts County in the first round of the League Cup on 24th August. Deeney went on to make 36 appearances for Watford in his first season scoring two goals from 17 starts although he was mainly deployed on the wing by Malky Mackay.

In his second season at Watford, Deeney made over 40 appearances under the management of Sean Dyche in his preferred position as striker. Deeney finished the season as Watford's top goalscorer with 11 goals and also won the Goal of the Season Award for his goal against Ipswich Town in March 2012.

On 25 June 2012, Deeney was sentenced to ten months' imprisonment for affray for kicking a man in the head in a brawl. He was released after serving almost three months of the sentence, after showing his remorse, and since he was a first time offender.

Deeney made his first appearance for Watford, after his release from prison, against Bristol City at Vicarage Road on 22nd September 2012. The game finished 2–2 with Deeney coming on in the second half and hitting the post. He started the next game against Huddersfield Town on 29th September, and scored the winner from the spot in the 3–2 away win. He scored a memorable double against his boyhood club, Birmingham City, as Watford ran out 4–0 winners on 16th February 2013.

In March 2013 Deeney signed a new contract with Watford keeping him at the club until 2016.

Deeney netted another brace in a 4–0 win over Blackburn Rovers on 20th April 2013, taking his tally to eighteen for the season. He scored his 19th goal of the season in the next match against Leicester on 26 April 2013, scoring the first goal in an importantth 2–1 win for Watford.

On 12th May 2013, Watford faced Leicester City in the play-off semi-final second leg at Vicarage Road. In one of the most dramatic ends to a play-off match in history, Deeney scored a goal deep into injury time to qualify for the Championship Playoff final at Wembley. Manuel Almunia saved a penalty taken by Anthony Knockaert and a rebound in the seventh minute of added time. Then Watford charged down to the other end, and Deeney lashed in the winning goal.

After scoring 20 goals in the 2012–13 season, Deeney scored the only goal as Watford beat Birmingham City 1–0 in the opening game of the 2013–14 season. A week later on 10th August, Deeney scored a hat-trick as Watford thrashed Bournemouth 6–1 at Vicarage Road. In doing so he became the first Hornets player to score a hat-trick in a match since Michael Chopra in 2003, and the first one to do so at Vicarage Road since David Connolly on 7 December 1996. It was also Deeney's first career hat-trick.

Having netted a brace in a 4–1 win away against Sheffield Wednesday on 29th March 2014, Deeney took his 2013–14 season tally to 20 goals. In the process he became the first Watford player to score 20+ goals in consecutive seasons in all competitions since Luther Blissett managed the feat in 1983.

Deeney scored again, this time against Burnley on 5th April 2014, to become the first Watford player to score 20 league goals in consecutive seasons since Cliff Holton managed the feat in 1961. The striker won both the Watford Player of the Season award for 2013/14 and also won the Players' Player of the Year at the end of season awards on 2nd May 2014.

Thanks Owen!