Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 am

Prufrock wrote:Journeyman striker bobbing around the lower leagues until it all clicked under Freedman and then Holloway as he scored a shit-ton of goals to get them into the play-offs. Did his knee in the semi and was out until the last 5-10 games of the season. If you remember the lad Zaha twisting Zat Knight's blood until he stuck a lazy leg out for him to fall over at the 'Bok two years ago, in the game that seemed to convince PG Freedman was the man once Coyle had been flirted, it were Murray he knocked in that pen.
Glenn Murray, who turns 31 in September, scored 31 in 2012/13, of which (for the record) 9 were pens.

Scored (header from a corner) in last night's US tour game; apparently he played at centre-back...
https://twitter.com/JonnyRogers9/status ... 6615651328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:32 am

Saw these on Twitter today.
Attachments
murray.png
Mrs Murray herself
murray.png (32.22 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
murray 2.png
murray 2.png (34.41 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 am

Mrs Murrey seem a rude sod !!

Fck off then, we didn't want him anyway ... wouldn't sign him if he was begging us to. Nah-na, ner-ner ner.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Mrs Murrey seem a rude sod !!

Fck off then, we didn't want him anyway ... wouldn't sign him if he was begging us to. Nah-na, ner-ner ner.
Yeah Stacey, feck you (and your mom, whether or not she's got it going on).
We don't need another Emma. (we don't need to know the way home)

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Puskas wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Oracle reckons it's bull and just his agent trying to garner interest
It took me a moment to realise that you were talking about Nixon there, and not ITV's teletext service.

Then I realised we left the 1980s some years ago.

Oh well.
Nixon was 70's...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Someone needs to explain to Mrs Murray why that thought process might happen, what with the current BWFC manager being the man who fished her husband's career from the toilet.

Then again, judging by the adjacent tweets, perhaps the concept of explaining a thought process might be a stretch:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Lets pretend what Nixon says is true that we've made an enquiry, been quoted £1M up front and said it is too much and are now mulling over our other options and keeping an eye out to see if that price on Murray drops at any point.

Why would his wife know about that anyhow?

It isn't like a price has been agreed or anything. IF what is being said is true, we've made an enquiry they've quoted a price and we've said it is too expensive......

Of course his wife wouldn't be privy to that sort of information.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Lets pretend what Nixon says is true that we've made an enquiry, been quoted £1M up front and said it is too much and are now mulling over our other options and keeping an eye out to see if that price on Murray drops at any point.

It isn't like a price has been agreed or anything. IF what is being said is true, we've made an enquiry they've quoted a price and we've said it is too expensive......

So, you're saying that the player wouldn't be privy to this at all? He wouldn't know if he had an enquiry?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:20 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Lets pretend what Nixon says is true that we've made an enquiry, been quoted £1M up front and said it is too much and are now mulling over our other options and keeping an eye out to see if that price on Murray drops at any point.

So, you're saying that the player wouldn't be privy to this at all? He wouldn't know if he had an enquiry?
He might do. Technically of course he should only know if Palace told him. But who knows? I'd be surprised if he doesn't know something given past connections, were it true. But equally that doesn't mean he tells his wife, especially as it was only an enquiry and it sounds like we are considering other options.

All I'm saying is that sounds very early stage (IF TRUE) and more than likely not going to go anywhere. Which is a shame.

But frankly irrespective of what Nixon says or doesn't, I'd be astounded if, having lost out on Juke, we haven't at the very least sounded out the possibility of Murray, given he may not start the season in their first team.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Indeed.

And, according to Loveable Scamp Marc Iles, Wanderers have denied any interest. And, even if the player hadn't been informed, I would expect the inquiring club to know something of it.

Think we can score this one as a miss for Mr Nixon. Although not as bad as Watergate.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm

If anything was afoot, the agent would know. It might not be legit, bit players are routinely sounded out about moves very early so clubs don't waste weeks haggling over someone that has no interest whatsoever.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Puskas wrote:
Think we can score this one as a miss for Mr Nixon.
I'm fairly certain he will have used some weasel words to indicate that we both might and might not sign him, so it clearly won't be interpreted as a miss.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Puskas wrote:
I'm fairly certain he will have used some weasel words to indicate that we both might and might not sign him, so it clearly won't be interpreted as a miss.
This is a stupid point because any situation you may or may not sign a player. How can he say "you will sign X" without a crystal ball? He can only tell you what is (or what he believes) to be happening at any particular moment.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Puskas wrote:
This is a stupid point because any situation you may or may not sign a player. How can he say "you will sign X" without a crystal ball? He can only tell you what is (or what he believes) to be happening at any particular moment.

Like 3 in and 3 out? :conf:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Indeed, so he's no more dependable than my mate who "reckons" after a couple of pints.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 pm

bloomin' Norah!! Nixon's just a purveyor of gossip/speculation based on what he may have heard is going on.

if folk can't handle uncertainty - then just read the official site where transfers are reported when they are done deals.

horses for courses. if you're interested in gossip/speculation - read Nixon and accept it for what it is.

if you're scared and panicked by uncertainty - just read the official site.

simple.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Puskas wrote:
Sorry, BWFCi but it's not a stupid point - when trying to evaluate his accuracy, you have to be able to judge whether he thinks a player will be signed or not. Or, at the very least, whether the club are even making an effort to sign him.

If he says, "The club have made enquiries for player X" and the club deny it, then either:
a) He's wrong; or
b) The club are lying.

If he then says, "ah, but circumstances, blah, blah..." then he's acting like self-described psychics do, and trying to get people to count his hits but not his misses. If his claims aren't at least potentially falsifiable then they're worthless.

FWIW, I think he used to have a lot of good information when his mate was [were] at the club, and now has some, but less - he knows more than me about what's happening, for instance, but that's not difficult.
Last edited by Puskas on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 pm

thebish wrote:bloomin' Norah!! Nixon's just a purveyor of gossip/speculation based on what he may have heard is going on.

if folk can't handle uncertainty - then just read the official site where transfers are reported when they are done deals.

horses for courses. if you're interested in gossip/speculation - read Nixon and accept it for what it is.

simple.
It's not about being scared of uncertainty, it's about trying to evaluate how accurate the gossip is.

If, for instance, I post that I have it on good authority that Dean Windass has been signed for the season, and that Freedman has two games to save his job, or else John Beck's lined up to take over, folk may be dismissive.

If Nixon says/tweets/writes/whatevers something, it may be taken more seriously. I'm just intrigued as to how much more seriously.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Indeed, so he's no more dependable than my mate who "reckons" after a couple of pints.
Your mate isn't paid as a professional journalist to churn this stuff out there. And I'm hazarding a guess that he hasn't got the same contacts.

As an example the weekend of the 19/20 July Nixon tweeted we were signing a youngster for the development squad.

On the Monday 21st he named him as Quade Taylor. As below. He signed yesterday for us. Now that isn't a lucky guess or just some random "Bolton need a striker so I'll link them to x,y,z". That is pretty specific information. If your mate reckons up that sort of stuff after a few pints does he fancy having a go at the lottery numbers for me?
Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko Protected Tweets Jul 21

@BWLlenrap Quade Taylor. Centre half. Ex Palace

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Puskas wrote:
thebish wrote:bloomin' Norah!! Nixon's just a purveyor of gossip/speculation based on what he may have heard is going on.

simple.
It's not about being scared of uncertainty, it's about trying to evaluate how accurate the gossip is.

If, for instance, I post that I have it on good authority that Dean Windass has been signed for the season, and that Freedman has two games to save his job, or else John Beck's lined up to take over, folk may be dismissive.

If Nixon says/tweets/writes/whatevers something, it may be taken more seriously. I'm just intrigued as to how much more seriously.

it's as accurate as you perfectly described above... he's better connected than the average man or lady on the street - but he doesn't actually know. some of his tweetings will be highly speculative - some might be based on solid information... - maybe it WOULD help for him to add some kind of scale of hot-cold emoticons to indicate confidence - but it's still basically just better-informed-then-LK's-mate-down-the-pub gossip/speculation, nothing more, nothing less.

for me - it helps a long summer pass...

I, for one, ALWAYS take what you say about Dean Windass VERY seriously - and I have done for about 10yrs now! :-)

P.S. - you're clearly scared of uncertainty and always have been! 8)
Last edited by thebish on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.