Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I really, really didn't want to get involved in yet another backwards and forwards about our manager's public statements.

But then this
StaffsTrotter wrote:unumerable
happened.

Honestly, this country is going to hell in a handcart. I blame everyone. Including Dougie Freedman. Bloody Scots. Let them get their own language.
ha. I have excuses but no real one :oops:

Insano - wrt the lack of striker just wonder why we let Sordell go for a pittance/ loss, given we didn't have a replacement in place ? surely he would have been an option to keep and try, since his homesickness seems to have been bullshittery
Because Sordell had his chances here and never looked to be worth anything at all. We had a cash offer and at the time were looking to fund a move for Juke.
didn't think an offer had been made for juke. weren't we waiting for something ?
as for sordell we'll just have to disagree. once he had recovered from coyles mishandling, thought he showed some promise.
we will wait and see whether freedman has been saving up his pennies for a gift

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I really, really didn't want to get involved in yet another backwards and forwards about our manager's public statements.

But then this
StaffsTrotter wrote:unumerable
happened.

Honestly, this country is going to hell in a handcart. I blame everyone. Including Dougie Freedman. Bloody Scots. Let them get their own language.
ha. I have excuses but no real one :oops:

Insano - wrt the lack of striker just wonder why we let Sordell go for a pittance/ loss, given we didn't have a replacement in place ? surely he would have been an option to keep and try, since his homesickness seems to have been bullshittery
Because Sordell had his chances here and never looked to be worth anything at all. We had a cash offer and at the time were looking to fund a move for Juke.
didn't think an offer had been made for juke. weren't we waiting for something ?
as for sordell we'll just have to disagree. once he had recovered from coyles mishandling, thought he showed some promise.
we will wait and see whether freedman has been saving up his pennies for a gift
Freedman thought that selling Sordell would help release cash for a bid for Juke. Unfortunately Eddie did not agree.

We are at the mercy of Eddie Davies agreeing to spend. And it seems he isn't. Which is why we are reduced to frees and loans. No saving of pennies. Just frustration for Freedman.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Where's Vaz Te when you need him?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Where's Vaz Te when you need him?
could be his season.... 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:... just another vacancy Bruce. Must be 10 now.

I'm glad he got his recruitment done early, whilst bidding his time "being patient" at one & the same time. Thank goodness he already knows his January list.
Coupled with
BWFC_Insane wrote:Dougie on need for strikers and chances this season.
“If we’re going to make any impact on the top positions, I believe we need to add three attacking options,” “Whether that’s in the loan market or buying them, I’m not quite sure yet.
Keep the faith, yeah. :roll:
Clearly it isn't up to DF is it? He doesn't control the club finances.
He controls that that he comes out with. How did you miss that glaringly obvious point? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:00 pm

[quote="BWFC_Insane]
Freedman thought that selling Sordell would help release cash for a bid for Juke. Unfortunately Eddie did not agree.
[/quote]
Which, once again, begs the question of why Freedman didn't just Davies if he was going to fund a bid for the Pole. As, from the outside, it did seem obvious that there wasn't much interest in doing so.

But hey. Doesn't matter, does it.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Where's Vaz Te when you need him?
could be his season.... 8)
Would we want him on loan?
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Puskas wrote:[quote="BWFC_Insane]
Which, once again, begs the question of why Freedman didn't just Davies if he was going to fund a bid for the Pole. As, from the outside, it did seem obvious that there wasn't much interest in doing so.

But hey. Doesn't matter, does it.[/quote][/quote]

I don't think that Eddie is in direct contact with many. Certainly Iles has suggested that is the case. From all accounts it simply is a question of asking when the time is right. Which is why we wait for fees to be agreed so that the price is known. Then it's up to Eddie.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

[/quote]

I don't think that Eddie is in direct contact with many. Certainly Iles has suggested that is the case. From all accounts it simply is a question of asking when the time is right. Which is why we wait for fees to be agreed so that the price is known. Then it's up to Eddie.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
I'm sorry, but if that's true, it makes no sense whatsoever. If we're going to put all our effort into signing one player - the one who was to be the big signing of the summer - surely someone, just one person, would think to ask the man who signs the cheques if he was prepared to fund it?

I can't believe that they would put the effort in to do the preparation and then be told, "no, not paying that". It would be a completely moronic way to run the club.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 pm

... as is declining to spend maybe £0.5m more than hoped on the Juke who the manager is truly convinced would put us into the top 6 with a £60m prize at the end. I know that's a gambler's logic but Eddie sitting on his hands will not get us anywhere and the downward spiral continues ... & costs HIM money.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Dunno. Are we a better tax write off down here?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 pm

I suspect we are. Of course, holding that conviction publicly is likely to incur the wrath of the folk who think the actions of our board are unquestionable. Unquestions like why do we have to be so grateful to a regime that has managed to accrue £165m of debt. For what purpose, and for what gain to BWFC do we hold such a debt? Forgive me for thinking. Etc
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:33 am

Puskas wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't think that Eddie is in direct contact with many. Certainly Iles has suggested that is the case. From all accounts it simply is a question of asking when the time is right. Which is why we wait for fees to be agreed so that the price is known. Then it's up to Eddie.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
I'm sorry, but if that's true, it makes no sense whatsoever. If we're going to put all our effort into signing one player - the one who was to be the big signing of the summer - surely someone, just one person, would think to ask the man who signs the cheques if he was prepared to fund it?

I can't believe that they would put the effort in to do the preparation and then be told, "no, not paying that". It would be a completely moronic way to run the club.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

I don't think the club runs like it used to. Freedman gives targets to Gartside who then tries to do the deals. Some might need Eddie to say yes but from what I gather it isn't a simple situation. I mean you can imagine Eddie saying that he would decide once the price for a players is known. We aren't in a position to enter a bidding race so wait for a price to be agreed. Then Eddie is asked if he's up for it or not,...

Iles and Nixon both have suggested that is now how it works.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:40 am

I thought from all previous pronouncements, as a matter of routine, targets were identified and agreed in advance, as were budgets. So its reasonable to think the manager has a reasonable idea of the game he's in and what he has to play with. All he then has to contend with is the roller coaster of the market and the competition.
If the board are really reneging on their previous agreements and leaving the manager high and dry, its a resigning matter isn't it ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:I thought from all previous pronouncements, as a matter of routine, targets were identified and agreed in advance, as were budgets. So its reasonable to think the manager has a reasonable idea of the game he's in and what he has to play with. All he then has to contend with is the roller coaster of the market and the competition.
If the board are really reneging on their previous agreements and leaving the manager high and dry, its a resigning matter isn't it ?
Targets are identified and passed to Gartside to try and get them done. Have you not seen or heard Dougie's repeated use of the words "I'm not the one who writes the cheques".

And it isn't a simple case of being backed or not. There isn't a transfer budget anymore. Anything that requires a cheque being written for a fee goes to Eddie. It is entirely up to him now. Nobody knows what promises are made or aren't. But Spearing last summer shows how it works. We chased him all summer but had to wait for someone else (Blackburn) to agree a price before they could say "OK Eddie its 1.5M are you up for it?".

We waited for Juke, obviously because Freedman believed we had a chance of getting him. When a fee was agreed elsewhere Juke even stalled for 24 hours to give us time to come in. But Eddie either didn't fancy it or went missing on other business.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:I thought from all previous pronouncements, as a matter of routine, targets were identified and agreed in advance, as were budgets. So its reasonable to think the manager has a reasonable idea of the game he's in and what he has to play with. All he then has to contend with is the roller coaster of the market and the competition.
Targets are identified and passed to Gartside to try and get them done. Have you not seen or heard Dougie's repeated use of the words "I'm not the one who writes the cheques".

And it isn't a simple case of being backed or not. There isn't a transfer budget anymore. Anything that requires a cheque being written for a fee goes to Eddie. It is entirely up to him now. Nobody knows what promises are made or aren't. But Spearing last summer shows how it works. We chased him all summer but had to wait for someone else (Blackburn) to agree a price before they could say "OK Eddie its 1.5M are you up for it?".

We waited for Juke, obviously because Freedman believed we had a chance of getting him. When a fee was agreed elsewhere Juke even stalled for 24 hours to give us time to come in. But Eddie either didn't fancy it or went missing on other business.
It strikes me that you're overcomplicating the issue. We have a list of targets. We could ask the clubs how much they want for them. We ask Eddie Davies if this is a reasonable fee - what's the maximum he's prepared to pay, etc. Then we wait to see if we can force the other clubs to drop the price because of lack of interest. If another club comes in and has a bid accepted, it forces our hand - but we would still know whether or not the deal is doable. If not, we move on to other targets.

I simply don't believe that there's no conversation with the man who signs the cheques until the day he's asked to get his money out - even for the Wanderers, that would be ridiculous.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 am

Puskas wrote:
It strikes me that you're overcomplicating the issue. We have a list of targets. We could ask the clubs how much they want for them. We ask Eddie Davies if this is a reasonable fee - what's the maximum he's prepared to pay, etc. Then we wait to see if we can force the other clubs to drop the price because of lack of interest. If another club comes in and has a bid accepted, it forces our hand - but we would still know whether or not the deal is doable. If not, we move on to other targets.

I simply don't believe that there's no conversation with the man who signs the cheques until the day he's asked to get his money out - even for the Wanderers, that would be ridiculous.
But as Nixon has explained on twitter, Boro were simply trying to get an auction going for Juke. So they weren't quoting a price just playing one club off against another. With five or so clubs interested Boro may well have said "£3M" in that scenario. I can see the wait for a fee to be fixed approach. We've done that with a few now.

As for the last part, there may be conversations but between who? Eddie isn't around I don't get the impression he's in regular contact with anyone other than Gartside. But even so similar setups and scenarios happen elsewhere. It isn't that unusual for a manager to be a bit in the dark over finances now and the buying and selling of players. Lets be clear Dougie decides the targets, I just don't think he has that much control - and well I can only go off what is said and what happens. But what Nixon and Iles have said certainly fits with the managers quotes and the way things have panned out recently.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: I don't get the impression he's in regular contact with anyone other than Gartside.
that may be true - but I have no idea how you would go about knowing such a thing or even knowing enough to form an impression worth incorporating into a theory.. unless you stalked him and bugged his phone, or summat...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: I don't get the impression he's in regular contact with anyone other than Gartside.
that may be true - but I have no idea how you would go about knowing such a thing or even knowing enough to form an impression worth incorporating into a theory.. unless you stalked him and bugged his phone, or summat...
I'm not stating it as truthfact or anything. Just an impression I get based on things that have been said in interview etc.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
I'm not stating it as truthfact or anything. Just an impression I get based on things that have been said in interview etc.
what has anybody said in an interview that reveals anything about the amount of contact Eddie has with anyone other than gartside?