Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:37 am

Vertigo wrote:If Dougie signed him as a full back, and Baptiste came here knowing he would be played at full back, then there's no problem or confusion is there. Dougie is happy with his centre backs, so there's no need to mix it up and play Baptiste there.
Well this is the thing. At the time Dougie insisted he was a full back and even when we had crisis in the centre he wouldn't try him there despite knowing he is perfectly competent there. Baptiste is saying playing full back was a problem for him, so why would he sign knowing that was where he was playing? Very plausible that Baptiste is just being a dick, but it is an odd situation. Baptiste could very easily have said no problem at Bolton, I played 40 odd games, but Blackburn was a good opportunity and Dougie was looking to try something different.

As for your last sentence. For a chunk of the season no one was happy with the centre of defence, not even Dougie. There were games that he could and should have tried Baptiste there earlier in the season.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Vertigo wrote:If Dougie signed him as a full back, and Baptiste came here knowing he would be played at full back, then there's no problem or confusion is there. Dougie is happy with his centre backs, so there's no need to mix it up and play Baptiste there.
Well this is the thing. At the time Dougie insisted he was a full back and even when we had crisis in the centre he wouldn't try him there despite knowing he is perfectly competent there. Baptiste is saying playing full back was a problem for him, so why would he sign knowing that was where he was playing? Very plausible that Baptiste is just being a dick, but it is an odd situation. Baptiste could very easily have said no problem at Bolton, I played 40 odd games, but Blackburn was a good opportunity and Dougie was looking to try something different.

As for your last sentence. For a chunk of the season no one was happy with the centre of defence, not even Dougie. There were games that he could and should have tried Baptiste there earlier in the season.
That's true and there is no explanation for that. Only Dougie knows.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:36 am

Personally not vey happy about this from what I saw of Baptiste he was excellent last season, mind I wasn't at those home games such as Yeovil. Kevin McNaughton is by no means a bad player but isn't he about 90.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:38 am

About 90 times better at full back!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 am

It's a v weird one. It is clear that he was signed as fullback-yes-centreback-no. I always assumed this came from Baptiste himself, rather than the manager.

Certainly can't rule out, as AT says, Baptiste being a dick, he's shown himself to be a prick with nowt between the ears on a few occasions,but if it is true that it came from Freedman then it's worrying, coz that's an Owen Coyle level of 'I'm right' stubbornness.

Still no sympathy for Baptiste, mind. It was made 100% clear we wanted him as a RB even before he signed. If you wanted to play CB so much you should have signed for one of the other clubs in for you you mercenary prick!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:23 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:About 90 times better at full back!
I was more on about age, always said Baptiste was better at centre back, I don't think we will ever get to the bottom of who(Baptiste or Freedman) decided that he should play fall back instead, I mean we were starting Zat Knight and Tim Ream at centre back last season at times, who are probably the worst centre back pairing I remember us having.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10 pm

freeindeed wrote:
adamworthy2002 wrote:
freeindeed wrote:Very impressed with all the transfer activity, and to be honest with Doogie Hauser in general. This is our year I tells ya, promotion via the play-offs :grin:
I wouldn't get too excited, we need somebody who can score goals.

We can't rely on Beckford and Craig Davies!
We will definitely sign at least 1 striker. Freedman acknowledged we are short there last week. Quite possibly a loan - I think they will buy someone and get a loan in.
This is freedman we're talking about here. He'll probably wait until the transfer window closes and the loan window opens and sign a striker from another Championship side on a 3 month loan.


BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:32 pm

adamworthy2002 wrote:
freeindeed wrote:
adamworthy2002 wrote:
freeindeed wrote:Very impressed with all the transfer activity, and to be honest with Doogie Hauser in general. This is our year I tells ya, promotion via the play-offs :grin:
I wouldn't get too excited, we need somebody who can score goals.

We can't rely on Beckford and Craig Davies!
We will definitely sign at least 1 striker. Freedman acknowledged we are short there last week. Quite possibly a loan - I think they will buy someone and get a loan in.
This is freedman we're talking about here. He'll probably wait until the transfer window closes and the loan window opens and sign a striker from another Championship side on a 3 month loan.
Yeah cos that is what Freedman wants to do.....

He can only sign players if Eddie Davies writes out the cheques.

Eddie might be more than happy bumbling around in the championship for now.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:52 pm

This is the bit where I get to put "I told you so".

But I won't, because that wouldn't be very magnanimous of me. And I like my magnanimity.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:This is the bit where I get to put "I told you so".

But I won't, because that wouldn't be very magnanimous of me. And I like my magnanimity.
You do know though, that it would have been different then or something

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Anyway, has it cost us anything to pay Baptiste off? Considering he was such an expensive mistake?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Anyway, has it cost us anything to pay Baptiste off? Considering he was such an expensive mistake?
He's gone on a season long loan. Not sure where the paying off would be. Word from this in the know is that his wage savings have covered the Mcnaughton deal.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Hang on, I thought we always paid the wages of players who were out on loan?

And "in the know". Yeah. Ok.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Hang on, I thought we always paid the wages of players who were out on loan?

The whole point of a loan like this is to free the wages up.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Hang on, I thought we always paid the wages of players who were out on loan?

The whole point of a loan like this is to free the wages up.
Or...to improve the team

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:04 pm

He's fecked up royally on old Clinton Baptiste has Douglas. Made a right c*nt of himself. Gets to bring in one of his own choices, one of those about whom he said "Judge me on the players I bring in / when the team's my own" and we're offloading his star-buy after a solitary season though undoubtedly still contributing towards that players wages. I'm getting the wooooooooooooord 'Wanker'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:He's fecked up royally on old Clinton Baptiste has Douglas. Made a right c*nt of himself. Gets to bring in one of his own choices, one of those about whom he said "Judge me on the players I bring in / when the team's my own" and we're offloading his star-buy after a solitary season though undoubtedly still contributing towards that players wages. I'm getting the wooooooooooooord 'Wanker'.
Exactly.

Our apparent major signing last year and is now being binned off.

Worrying really.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Yeah, a manager needs to be stubborn and rigid; sticking to earlier decisions even if they have proved to be incorrect. He should have turned up the opportunity to bring in a superior full back, just to show the strength of one past decision :roll:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:21 pm

It wasn't a bad decision. He's a good player .... at right-back or centre-half. The decision to play him at left back was forced upon him. The decision to never, not even once, even at the height of our problems, play him at centre-half is a mystery.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:42 pm

He was the first choice right back, he was played at left back out of sheer desperation. Then later in the season the centre back position was fine and didnt need covering.