Holden on to nothing?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Holden on to nothing?

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2014/02/10 ... tract.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pros: He's a great lad and he used to be a cracking player.

Cons: He's never fit.

What do we think?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Holden on to nothing?

Post by ChrisC » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Already another topic on this I think. Would be silly to do all this work with him and not at least give him chance to repay us on the field. If we was going to get rid then it would have been when he injured himself at the beginning of the season. Not after helping him back to fitness this last 6 months or so.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:47 pm

ChrisC wrote:Already another topic on this I think. Would be silly to do all this work with him and not at least give him chance to repay us on the field. If we was going to get rid then it would have been when he injured himself at the beginning of the season. Not after helping him back to fitness this last 6 months or so.
I think most would agree. I doubt we'll be over-committing on the contract.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Isn't this being discussed elsewhere already?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:56 pm

jaffka wrote:Isn't this being discussed elsewhere already?
On the cruelly closed Transfer thread I think.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
jaffka wrote:Isn't this being discussed elsewhere already?
On the cruelly closed Transfer thread I think.
Ah, ok then. This needed its own topic then. :)

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I think a wage based on appearances would be fair for both sides. It's what a few players blighted with injury, like Owen Hargreaves, have asked for and it's a deal which works for everyone involved. If Holden is fit, he'd get a good wage because of appearance bonuses but if he is out injured, we'd only be paying him a minimal amount until he's fit again. If he managed to make it through a season without an issue, give him a proper contract like everyone else at the club.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Would offer him a new contract, but one based on him being able to prove his long term fitness. Month by month, until a regular run of games at a decent level, I reckon.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:04 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I think a wage based on appearances would be fair for both sides. It's what a few players blighted with injury, like Owen Hargreaves, have asked for and it's a deal which works for everyone involved. If Holden is fit, he'd get a good wage because of appearance bonuses but if he is out injured, we'd only be paying him a minimal amount until he's fit again. If he managed to make it through a season without an issue, give him a proper contract like everyone else at the club.
Ideally yes, this, but then that depends on there being no other clubs sniffing around him with something a little more nailed-on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:18 pm

I think last time round that might have been a problem Brucie, but can't see anyone at a decent standard risking a longer term commitment on him.

Stuart Holden comeback threads are getting to be like transfer threads! A new one every few months, ending in dissapointment.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:32 pm

I don't think he will come back half as good as he was and that is if he ever does regain full fitness. At which point every Bolton fan will ask the question of why did we hold on him so long, why did we not cancel his contract(?), why did he get offered another contract, why did we spend so much money on his treatment and I will say told you so. Hope he gets it together but its like me saying I hope Aidy Boothroyd becomes our manager tomorrow - its not going to happen.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:I don't think he will come back half as good as he was and that is if he ever does regain full fitness. At which point every Bolton fan will ask the question of why did we hold on him so long, why did we not cancel his contract(?), why did he get offered another contract, why did we spend so much money on his treatment and I will say told you so. Hope he gets it together but its like me saying I hope Aidy Boothroyd becomes our manager tomorrow - its not going to happen.
Most Bolton fans already know why we invested in him Dan. Nobody knows what will happen, but everybody remembers a real quality player who gave maximum effort, always wanted the ball and knew what to do with it. That's the reason he's still around. Three years have passed since his halcyon days. It's all a case of hoping right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 pm

He doesn't have to be anywhere near his best to improve us right now. And has exactly the kind if attitude dougie claims our players lack, hope it will be infectious.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm

I'd be bloody suicidal if we let him go & he moved to Wigan and it came off for him.

He deserves a go and we deserve to see if he can. Even in todays financial situation the prospect is worth a conservative punt.

Fck ... he'd be an addition to the medical team's knowledge on knees, and post op recovery.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 pm

+1.

Best player since the Sam days here. Bear in mind, the Sam days are now 7 years ago. I've just depressed myself.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm with all of the above, up to and excluding dan...

I feel it's unlikely, but i still want Holden to have a proper career, and, preferably, with us...

And I want Johnny Evans not to have any career at all... to be a total and utter failure, starting from this season...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am

William the White wrote:I'm with all of the above, up to and excluding dan...

I feel it's unlikely, but i still want Holden to have a proper career, and, preferably, with us...

And I want Johnny Evans not to have any career at all... to be a total and utter failure, starting from this season...
Can I just add Nigel de Jong to your Johnny Evans there, William?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 am

Nigel de Jong. I'd forgotten about his input into all this. He's been an unlucky fecker, Holden.

SOTWA

Post by SOTWA » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 pm

I had the great fortune to talk to the guy at Xmas while having a picture taken with me and my daughter (her first ever bolton match)

"Look Dad, Bolton scored a try!!"

"No bless you kiddo, that's just Ngog from six yards out!"

Anyway, I ask him when he was aiming to be back and he said February, And was desperate to get back and in the team. To the guys credit he genuinely sounded sincere

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

they say he's in the reserves on monday against everton.

douglas says that means he'll be ready to make his first team comeback in december 2024 once he's 'dougie freedman level' fit

:/
Last edited by a1 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.