The wild wild west! - Yeovil away 22/03/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The wild wild west! - Yeovil away 22/03/14

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeovil snatched an unlikely point in a 3-3 draw at Wiggin this evening. The start of their Great Escape or will they be a spent force come Saturday? Before tonight, they averaged less than a goal a game, so they're not due to score again for at least a couple of weeks. 0-1 to us!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Main questions are ...

1. Will Trotter be playing ?
2. .......

Nope. That's it really.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Main questions are ...

2. .......

Nope. That's it really.
If Dougie's in a point proving mood he may well be captain.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

2. .......

Nope. That's it really.
If Dougie's in a point proving mood he may well be captain.
He's only 1 game into his 6 game run.

Edit: No, that's just strikers I remembered. He's part of the midfield lottery. Depends if his ball pops out of Dougie's Henry The Hoover.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:37 am

The scary thing is that you just know he'll sign Trotter rather than Danns at the end of the season...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am

Not only did Yeovil score three and get a draw but both Wednesday and Charlton had unlikely wins. It's now a race between us, Brummie, Donnie, and Donkeys to the bottom. Thank feck for Millwall is all I can say: their utter turgidity will probably be our season's saving grace.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 am

blimey, i remember going to Yeovil in the cup about ten years back on a Tuesday night. we were premiership high fliers and they had just been promoted into the league so it was a chance of a new and obscure ground to tick off, when i used to give a shit about stuff like that...

remember it like it was yesterday. it was a balmy late summer evening. drinking cloudy cider in a pub on the middle of a housing estate thinking this must be proper Somerset tackle. we won 2-0. Julio Cesar and Pedersen. Hierro was playing too, and Les Ferdinand.

.......and now were about to lose to them in the league

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 am

2. .......

Nope. That's it really.
No, no, no. Secondly, and vitally, if he does play then which able bodied player will he be asked to play as?

Maybe he has to come through a curtain as the dry ice bellows. "Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be Chung Yong Lee" prior to him doing the slitty eyed thing and a Karate kick?! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 am

Trotter has made 3 starts for us and people are already writing him off as useless....great.

Same thing happened with Mason. Lad did well for Millwall and I see no reason why after a settling in period he can't do similar here.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 am

If, as you say, the lad did well at Millwall, then why the Dickens have they, being as they're in the relegation places, loaned him to us?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:If, as you say, the lad did well at Millwall, then why the Dickens have they, being as they're in the relegation places, loaned him to us?
Cos he wouldn't sign a contract and wanted to move.....Holloway pretty much said Trotter forced the move through - Millwall wanted to sell him but we couldn't afford it.

He was frequently linked with premiership clubs at Millwall and definitely one of (if not their) best player.

He has shown an ability to do well in this division so I'd not be writing him off just yet.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
He was frequently linked with premiership clubs at Millwall and definitely one of (if not their) best player.
Anything to support this? And being Millwall's best player is hardly an accolade. Has anyone actually written him off or is it just that, like me, they been particularly unimpressed by what they've so far seen?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Anything to support this? And being Millwall's best player is hardly an accolade. Has anyone actually written him off or is it just that, like me, they been particularly unimpressed by what they've so far seen?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... am-1417310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... dkins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For example.

And I agree he hasn't been impressive so far, looks a lump, but it is three games. He's clearly performed at least decently in this division and surely that is what matters to us? Why would we be snooty about Millwall players now? Same divison, so same level......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Trotter has made 3 starts for us and people are already writing him off as useless....great. Same thing happened with Mason. Lad did well for Millwall and I see no reason why after a settling in period he can't do similar here.
It sounds more a case of why is he leaving Danns out rather then putting Trotter in, to me. Danns seems to have really impressed so why leave him out?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Trotter has made 3 starts for us and people are already writing him off as useless....great. Same thing happened with Mason. Lad did well for Millwall and I see no reason why after a settling in period he can't do similar here.
It sounds more a case of why is he leaving Danns out rather then putting Trotter in, to me. Danns seems to have really impressed so why leave him out?
I refer you to Bobo's post.

Interestingly when we signed Danns Dougie was criticised for "Signing another defensive midfield player" eh?

For signing a midfield player who would only be "4th or 5th choice".

Signing another "championship reject". Another "player Dougie has already worked with" etc.....

By many of the same posters who are now criticising him for leaving Danns out on Saturday. It is a prime example of how it is very very easy for fans to have opinions that shift very quickly. Their judgement is never tested.

I like Danns, he is a proper wholehearted effort guy. I wouldn't pick Trotter ahead of him at the moment, and in that particular role, arguably at all. But Trotter has proven his worth in this league as a decent up and down midfield player who can bag goals too. He hasn't shone here yet but I think it is way too early to be writing him off in the way Bobo's post suggested he was being.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Interestingly when we signed Danns Dougie was criticised for "Signing another defensive midfield player" eh?

Signing another "championship reject". Another "player Dougie has already worked with" etc.....

By many of the same posters who are now criticising him for leaving Danns out on Saturday.
I'm pretty sure that anyone that watched us at home to Huddersfield last year wouldn't in their wildest dreams be describing Danns as (a) defensive (b) low down the order or (c) a reject.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I refer you to Bobo's post.

By many of the same posters who are now criticising him for leaving Danns out on Saturday. It is a prime example of how it is very very easy for fans to have opinions that shift very quickly. Their judgement is never tested.

I like Danns, he is a proper wholehearted effort guy. I wouldn't pick Trotter ahead of him at the moment, and in that particular role, arguably at all. But Trotter has proven his worth in this league as a decent up and down midfield player who can bag goals too. He hasn't shone here yet but I think it is way too early to be writing him off in the way Bobo's post suggested he was being.....
You versus the world :roll:

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Dougie'sEleven wrote:Tickets received - Dartisan and I will be in the terrace section too.
Are any of the other cockneys going with you DE. I would have thought at 1 of Pru, Kinty and Mummy would be up for this one?
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:07 pm

I didn't read it as anyone writing him off. It's just incredulity at the decision to play him instead of Danns in a role to which he wasn't suited. And the fact that he looks sluggish and unfit. He may turn out to be a good'un, but lets' wait til team form has dipped before giving him a run rather than precipitating that dip by putting him in when he's below par.

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:18 pm

danhorwich wrote:From the football ground guide -

"There are a couple of pubs within about 10-15 minutes walk of the ground; 'The Arrow' and 'The Airfield Tavern' (formerly 'Brewsters', which according to Stephen Pugsley also has a handy fish and chip shop next door called Palmers). Richard Reardon a visiting Carlisle fan adds; 'The Arrow is only 10-15 minutes walk away. The weather was excellent so most of our substantial following sat outside at a number of picnic tables. Not a wide choice of beers but one real ale available. Both sets of supporters mixed well and Sky TV. Police presence outside but it was all very friendly'. Rob Laight a visiting Birmingham City fan informs me; 'As we were early for the game we drove to the Arrow and parked in their large car park and then decided to leave our car there during the match. The Arrow is a great pub to visit, very friendly and the home supporters were easy to talk to. Incidentally, The Arrow serves excellent food at prices that were easily lower than any local chippy'.

To find this pub, from the ground car park, walk back up the road past the ground to the top of it and turn right. At the end of this road, turn left onto the main road and after a short distance take the first right. Go straight down this road through the new looking residential area and after about ten minutes of walking, you will see a clearing on your right and just beyond this there are some shops and the Arrow pub in the middle."

Sounds like the Arrow is the best bet, it as cheap as anyway I have seen, its got sky. it has 77% 4 or 5 * reviews and not a single review of less than 2 *s

Both pubs are within reasonable proximity to the ground but the airfield tavern had had lots of negative reviews with 44% giving it 1* out of 5 and is more of a restaurant than a pub, you have to wait for a waitress to seat you, ask if you want drinks(this process takes 2o mins apparently),the wait for waitress to ask if you want food, you could be there for 45 mins and not even have any food!

So basically the Arrow sounds like the best bet.

On the advice of one of our Devon residents (Devon White) we are now going top be meeting in the Bell Inn due to its wide selection of ales. The Bell Inn is on Preston road which is the main road leading from the A37 towards the football ground, it is also almost mid point between the ground and the station and will save wandering around on an estate looking for the Arrow. Myself, Bristol Wanderer, Devon White, HMX, MaxJMay and another forum member (who's name I will not disclose until his say so) will be in there.
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"