My Way...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

My Way...

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:15 pm

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/ill-do-it-my-way" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just something to pass the time till match day without interfering with the Dougie Out thread.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: My Way...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Listen to the fans....

Which ones?

Everyone is saying different stuff.

I think the one piece of advice I'd give to any manager is absolutely, never, ever, ever listen to what the fans say they want. Just give them what you know they want.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Listen to the fans....
Which ones?
I think the one piece of advice I'd give to any manager is absolutely, never, ever, ever listen to what the fans say they want. Just give them what you know they want.
It wasn't written to start a debate, just as an article to change the Home Page really. But are you saying that the majority on here alone aren't surprised, no, make that amazed, by Dougie's constant tinkering and his "do it my way attitude? His berating Baptiste publicly was way out of order as just one item, and his team selections and substitutions are baffling more than a few, including some fans I meet outside of forums. The general consensus isn't a vote of confidence, believe me.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Listen to the fans....
Which ones?
It wasn't written to start a debate, just as an article to change the Home Page really. But are you saying that the majority on here alone aren't surprised, no, make that amazed, by Dougie's constant tinkering and his "do it my way attitude? His berating Baptiste publicly was way out of order as just one item, and his team selections and substitutions are baffling more than a few, including some fans I meet outside of forums. The general consensus isn't a vote of confidence, believe me.

whose way is he supposed to do it? yours? BWFCi's? Hoboh's? SF's? we hire him to do it his way, don't we?

or should he get the fans to vote on an online poll to get your general consensus for the team selection each week?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Nice to see you back bish, just as abrasive and argumentative as ever. Mind you, you havent' demanded an explanation yet, so....pardon me for having a view of course: :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Nice to see you back bish, just as abrasive and argumentative as ever. Mind you, you havent' demanded an explanation yet, so....pardon me for having a view of course: :wink:
indeed you do - no need to apologise for having a view - i'm just asking what it is! If he's not to do it his way, then whose??

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Nice to see you back bish, just as abrasive and argumentative as ever. Mind you, you havent' demanded an explanation yet, so....pardon me for having a view of course: :wink:
indeed you do - no need to apologise for having a view - i'm just asking what it is! If he's not to do it his way, then whose??
Ain't mine, I've never seen them with backpacks full of bricks running over Winter hill in blizzards!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:16 pm

thebish wrote:
Okay,bish, I'll play, though I think you're just on a wind-up. Did you actually read the article? Did you take note of the first introductory bit? Dougie is the manager so obviously he'll do it his way. He is doing it his way. That doesn't mean that his way is absolutely the right, or the only way, unless of course you think it is and he's doing a grand job.The general consensus on here appears he isn't totally doing that. Indeed, the Dougie Out thread is still going strong.Are you disagreeing with that? If not, what?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Christ on a bike! it don't take you two long to lock horns :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Hoboh wrote:Christ on a bike! it don't take you two long to lock horns :mrgreen:
Not at all. I'm way too under par for arguing right now. More brandy, honey and hot water needed I think. :wink:

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Take it easy TD. Too much honey and hot water isn't good for you. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Gravedigger wrote:Take it easy TD. Too much honey and hot water isn't good for you. 8)
Just the brandy then G.D.? :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
Okay,bish, I'll play, though I think you're just on a wind-up. Did you actually read the article? Did you take note of the first introductory bit? Dougie is the manager so obviously he'll do it his way. He is doing it his way. That doesn't mean that his way is absolutely the right, or the only way, unless of course you think it is and he's doing a grand job.The general consensus on here appears he isn't totally doing that. Indeed, the Dougie Out thread is still going strong.Are you disagreeing with that? If not, what?

aye - I did read it - nice one! :-)

I disagree that dougie should do it any way other than his way. when i don't understand something - I ask. I don't understand the oft-repeated charge that dougi is somehow at fault for doing it his way. I really don't understand what it would look like for him to do it any other way than his. that's all! I didn't say it is right or wrong - it's simply his way. your article seems to be suggesting that he should listen to the fans - and (presumably) do it their way instead (your final paragraph)... I just don't know how on earth that would work... (which was why I asked!)

"my way or the highway" (as you put it) far from "never really worked" - has worked plenty of times - Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.. in fact - is that not a pretty common characteristic of most highly successful managers?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:47 pm

thebish wrote: "my way or the highway" (as you put it) far from "never really worked" - has worked plenty of times - Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.. in fact - is that not a pretty common characteristic of most highly successful managers?
Like how you include Wenger in your highly successful managers category. Good boy! ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote: "my way or the highway" (as you put it) far from "never really worked" - has worked plenty of times - Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.. in fact - is that not a pretty common characteristic of most highly successful managers?
Like how you include Wenger in your highly successful managers category. Good boy! ;)
he HAS won stuff and received plaudits for the football they play... and not by listening to the fans (who - lets face it - in his case are pretty clueless!!)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:51 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
he HAS won stuff and received plaudits for the football they play... and not by listening to the fans (who - lets face it - in his case are pretty clueless!!)
He has, he has done very well, its just it was a while ago now and most people seem to have forgotten. And we are not clueless! (well, most of us aren't!)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:14 pm

thebish wrote:

. your article seems to be suggesting that he should listen to the fans - and (presumably) do it their way instead (your final paragraph)... I just don't know how on earth that would work... (which was why I asked!)

"my way or the highway" (as you put it) far from "never really worked" - has worked plenty of times - Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.. in fact - is that not a pretty common characteristic of most highly successful managers?
Simply put, I'm not suggesting the fans know more than a football manager (Lord forbid that to be true). By saying Dougie should listen to them I'm indicating there is some sense being offered by some of their views and he should maybe allow the truth of some of it. If you've been following the Trotter threads you'll know exactly what the views are regarding selection of method and team set up. The article was written (as I've stated a couple of times) not as a thread topic, but mainly as a midweek fill in and to highlight our esteemed manager's seeming ability to ignore any fan opinion and possibly that of the players too in his selections. "My way or the highway" is fine if the "My way" is fair and just, and not merely a dedication to stubborness of the "Do you know who I am" elitism. No doubt, when we win the Championship title and get back in the big time, my own view will change drastically and I promise to grovel and write a new article entitled "Hail the conquering hero comes".

That's it.... :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:18 pm

If you have 'your way' of playing but the players don't get it or respond well to it, do you stick with it or try something which suits their strengths? Dougie seems to keep banging his head against the wall. That's how I read it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 pm

I just wish he knew what "his way" was. Then he wouldn''t be such a contradictory b'stard.

He's the manager, he's there to use what he has to the very best. To date he has rarely achieved that. As manager, sooner or later he either has to succeed with 'his way' or fck off ... voluntarily, or forced.

But if there IS a vote I think I'm close to making my mind up, tbh.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 pm

open post to thebish...
Did you ever get around to reading my article? I think, when I asked, at the time, life was faaaaaaaaaaaar too tedious to contemplate reading stuff. Did you change your mind (Sorry TD for barging in on your article thread).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください