Freedman on Summer Recruitment (And past mistake)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman on Summer Recruitment (And past mistake)

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 02, 2014 3:14 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
For me, it's been mainly about his disconcerting use of English right from the off, when he was seeking sanctuary up north with his kids. I've never wavered in my opinion that there is a secret esoteric hidden Dan Brown-like code in his every utterence, if only I could find the key to it.
it may make me a bad person - but in my mind, people who reference Dan Brown in support of anything at all rapidly lose whatever credibility they had in the first place! :wink:
:(
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 02, 2014 3:15 pm

^ don't worry - you didn't lose much! ;-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 02, 2014 3:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
DF said rather than wrote:Everyone wants to win every game and I’m no different. But we have to be realistic in where we are going and have a plan as to where we are going.
Not sure I understand the logic there? We should be at least trying to win every game, even though we won't, that needs no explanation. But what plan can you have that isn't based on trying? Intent isn't a plan, it's an aim, a hope even. Much of what the man says sounds a bit "gobbledygookish" to me.
In the context of the interview as I watched it, what he was talking about was the plan he was trying to put in place and how some of it was about looking to the long term.

Essentially it is saying that whilst we were struggling this season he still had to keep his eye on the long term plan rather than spunking lots of money for a hopeful instant fix.
Can you all stop misquoting me? :D

Another way of looking at that quote is that sometimes winning isn't as important as blooding the kids. We probably have better players on the books right now than Threlkeld, Kellett, Youngs, White and Lester, but yon youngsters might be the future, so rather than going all-out for results he's used these last few fixtures to give experience (and possibly assess longer-term suitability).

In other news, thebish wins the gong for best (surely intentional) metaphor pile-up :laugh:
thebish wrote:he will spend the summer doing his best to build that squad out of a nucleus of what we already have and (having offloaded some dead wood) bring in some new faces to freshen it up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 02, 2014 3:58 pm

He has made comments a few times about prioritising 'the business'. Given he's still here it seems obvious that if that isn't coming from the club (and the odds surely suggest it is, most managers don't want to not have money to spend) then they support it. Both understandable, and also very sad that that's where football is. Success on the pitch is secondary to running a tight ship and managing overheads. Not that I'm suggesting spending beyond one's means is a good thing, just that it relegates the well-run, non-billionaire-backed to permanent also-rans, and tempts others into chancing it all.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Southampton have to be a model then. Their youth/academy set up is exemplary. They've produced umpteen high class products and sold them at huge prices whilst still keeping hold of, or moving in, enough class to get to the Premiership and look like they belong.

All easier said than done, but failure to do that back in BSA's time is the real core of where we took a wrong turn.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri May 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Southampton are the big fish in the pond in that area, we unfortunately are competing with far more clubs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 02, 2014 4:21 pm

It'd be very nice but their position geographically and demographically is a lot different to ours. They should surely be the starting point. Fulham have supposedly got a great set coming through and their challenges are more like ours in terms of competition for youngsters.

I also think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. Surely the way we attract a kid to join us over City or United is to say 'you'll get swallowed up there and spat out, whereas we'll give you a chance'. But to get the reputation to back that up you need to play the kids, and to play them, you need ones who are good enough and haven't been snapped up by the Cities and Uniteds.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 02, 2014 4:43 pm

So what you're saying is, you need to be shit to get good young players?

Dougie's plan is working!!!!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Ha, yep! Find the appropriate level for the shit young players, then use that to get better ones!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri May 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I doubt a good academy has too much to do with the fortunes of the first eleven. Investment in facilities looks like a good starting point, but more than that, investment in the right people to do the work.

Nice as it might be to employ good eggs at the end of their playing career, jobs for the boys is unlikely to result in a centre of excellence. Hopefully, Eddie developing Lostock won't stop at bricks and mortar.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 02, 2014 5:22 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Southampton have to be a model then. Their youth/academy set up is exemplary. They've produced umpteen high class products and sold them at huge prices whilst still keeping hold of, or moving in, enough class to get to the Premiership and look like they belong.

All easier said than done, but failure to do that back in BSA's time is the real core of where we took a wrong turn.
Yep. Problem is how long do you wait for the backlog? Top players develop over time and require the right stock. It's possible we don't have the next Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott etc in the youth setup now. And when we get a good crop it takes time to filter through.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri May 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Summer recruitment - there can't be a mad man in the the land of Mad Mc Mad that would let this clown loose with a chequebook.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 02, 2014 5:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Southampton have to be a model then. Their youth/academy set up is exemplary. They've produced umpteen high class products and sold them at huge prices whilst still keeping hold of, or moving in, enough class to get to the Premiership and look like they belong.

Yep. Problem is how long do you wait for the backlog? Top players develop over time and require the right stock. It's possible we don't have the next Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott etc in the youth setup now. And when we get a good crop it takes time to filter through.
Yes. I know.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri May 02, 2014 5:54 pm

With a lot of the fans still thinking we should be pushing for Europe Dougie is having to downplay everything. When Tony Livesey asked him about hanging onto some of the players we have on loan he went off about not having money... then they signed Danns the next day. He's managing expectations more than anything.

And his style in interviews is sometimes jumping about from tangent to tangent so when you put it on a page there should maybe be more paragraphs than there often are. I think that causes a fair bit of the confusion.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Thank goodness it's only taken the thick end of two seasons to sort out the backroom. Now we can look forward with giddy excitement to this "transition".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri May 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:With a lot of the fans still thinking we should be pushing for Europe Dougie is having to downplay everything. When Tony Livesey asked him about hanging onto some of the players we have on loan he went off about not having money... then they signed Danns the next day. He's extinguished any expectation or hope more than anything.

And his style in interviews is sometimes jumping about from tangent to tangent so when you put it on a page there should maybe be more nonsense than there often are. I think that causes a fair bit of the confusion.
edited that for you. suppose if we all accept the bar is set low, it'll help him be 'a success' :)

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Summer recruitment - there can't be a mad man in the the land of Mad Mc Mad that would let this clown loose with a chequebook.
David Nugent will be this summers saviour signing. Then three games in Douglas will realise he's the wrong guy and drop him to the bench and sign a teenager from Southampton on loan instead. Cant wait.
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 02, 2014 8:11 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:With a lot of the fans still thinking we should be pushing for Europe Dougie is having to downplay everything. When Tony Livesey asked him about hanging onto some of the players we have on loan he went off about not having money... then they signed Danns the next day. He's extinguished any expectation or hope more than anything.

And his style in interviews is sometimes jumping about from tangent to tangent so when you put it on a page there should maybe be more nonsense than there often are. I think that causes a fair bit of the confusion.
edited that for you. suppose if we all accept the bar is set low, it'll help him be 'a success' :)
where do you think the bar SHOULD be set to judge next season a success?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 02, 2014 8:49 pm

thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:

I'd like the bar set nearer to my seat next season, so when it's shit again, at least I can get pi$$ed.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat May 03, 2014 6:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:

I'd like the bar set nearer to my seat next season, so when it's shit again, at least I can get pi$$ed.
:D I think having to drive to games and therefore not have enough alcoholic anaesthetic certainly doesn't help

as regards the 'bar', freedmans movable feast needs to be set and is probably what its been for the last couple of seasons - end of season top 6, after 10 games and at xmas within top 10/ or within 6 points of top 6 whichever is less.