There's Elland darkness, there's the sulfurous pit - LEEDS

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: There's Elland darkness, there's the sulfurous pit - LEE

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:Neither, I suspect. I think he's referring to Leeds' desire to keep the ball out of the back of their net.
Don't think so Tony. Read that again.

He's saying our defence keeps making silly, individual mistakes.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:21 pm

You're right. I saw the first reference to desire, but not the one at the end. :oops:

While I'm on ..... I predict Doug will be here at least until Christmas.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:26 pm

I didn't get the chance to listen to it because I was working, but I was encouraged by the stats and the reports that suggested we were the better team. It sounds like our best performance of the season, though it came against a poor team, a team in trouble. But I'm gutted we didn't score.

I thought Dougie would be gone if we lost to both Brighton and Leeds, and whilst that's happened I doubt he will go on the back of a decent performance. Shame really. Especially when he does things like bring Feeney and Beckford on with just 10 minutes to go, obviously not prepared to 'risk' it any sooner. And I honestly thought Feeney would start after his performance against Crewe. Looks like he's just a cup player this season.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Jugs wrote:I didn't get the chance to listen to it because I was working, but I was encouraged by the stats and the reports that suggested we were the better team. It sounds like our best performance of the season, though it came against a poor team, a team in trouble. But I'm gutted we didn't score.

I thought Dougie would be gone if we lost to both Brighton and Leeds, and whilst that's happened I doubt he will go on the back of a decent performance. Shame really. Especially when he does things like bring Feeney and Beckford on with just 10 minutes to go, obviously not prepared to 'risk' it any sooner. And I honestly thought Feeney would start after his performance against Crewe. Looks like he's just a cup player this season.
This is what its all about.

Our best performance of the season, against a very poor side. We lost.

B4E
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by B4E » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:42 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote: Nice to see him deflecting criticism onto his players again too. "___ can't defend", "___ can't finish" yet no admittance of failure on his part.
Whilst I would usually disagree with such general deflecting from the manager, it does seem like our attacking players let him down today. We had 22 shots. That means that the TEAM did the job correctly of creating chances, however individual players (admittedly against a good goalkeeping performance) couldn't take any of those chances. So one defensive mistake cost us.
I miss Zat Knight already.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Can anybody tell me, is Lennie Lawrence (who I thought might be the wise older statesman, offering occasional pearls to young Lochinvar) actually more akin to Phil Neal when Graham Taylor was England manager?

Can't make sense of what he's doing here.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:He gave thumbs up. Didn't wave. At the end of the game he thumped his bwfc badge but the damage was done. Don't think any of those in attendance shared the pathetic view of here. I'm gobsmacked. We used to have passionate fans
what damage - specifically - was done?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 pm

thebish wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:He gave thumbs up. Didn't wave. At the end of the game he thumped his bwfc badge but the damage was done. Don't think any of those in attendance shared the pathetic view of here. I'm gobsmacked. We used to have passionate fans
what damage - specifically - was done?

I confess to being pathetically gobsmacked in a passionate way by this whole thread. :wink2:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:06 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Don't think any of those in attendance shared the pathetic view of here. I'm gobsmacked. We used to have passionate fans
Yeah .... well, don't let us keep you.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:Don't think any of those in attendance shared the pathetic view of here. I'm gobsmacked. We used to have passionate fans
how old are you JSwilly? you are largely talking to people who have supported BWFC for upwards of 40yrs - presumably the "passionate fans" that you say we once had at some (unspecified) time...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
how old are you JSwilly? you are largely talking to people who have supported BWFC for upwards of 40yrs - presumably the "passionate fans" that you say we once had at some (unspecified) time...

Yep. We're a bunch of old cults.

Still passionate, though, for sure. ae:)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 pm

I've had the text ..... Dan is incandescent about Beckfordgate.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Harry Rednapp got flack off his own fans for waving at the Spurs lot last Sunday at the Lane when they, too, were shouting 'Harry Give Us A Wave.' QPR fans booed when he waved, but the funny thing was that Rednapp said in the post-match interview that he had 'no idea' it was the Spurs fans who were asking for a wave, falsely believing that it was his own fans. 'I don't know who sits where, do I?' This from a guy who managed at the Lane for 4 years! He should know where the away fans are! :D And he does. Harry likes to play the role of a thickie quite often.

The Beckford thing, though. I hope this doesn't further exacerbate an already deteriorating relationship with our fans (if you believe Dougie and some fans), but I can understand fans at the game getting a bit pissed off with him at the time. We were losing, the game was slipping away, it's natural for some people to get a bit wound up when they see their striker come on and give the thumbs up to the home fans who are singing when they're winning. In hindsight, it shouldn't be a big deal, though. Let's calm down and move on. The bigger issue for me was Beckford only getting 10 minutes when it sounded like he should have been thrown on a lot earlier.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Win or lose today it still gives the impression that our feelings toward the manager and players wouldn't change much. I think the impression is that the win would've given us a much needed sigh of relief. From the stats you could argue that we've been unfortunate today and maybe that is the case.

Based on the last match I wanted us to take the game to the opposition and the stats would argue that it happened today. Maybe that's down to us wanting to make a difference or maybe its down to Leeds' poor situation at present but whatever the reason it would seem that we at least tried. We didn't score but I do reckon that with a little bit more relaxation and composure we would've got the goals today.

We're not a million miles away from having a winning team. Sure we're not going to win the league or from the looks of it challenge for promotion but we do look capable of attacking teams and winning matches. The side is not too dissimilar from the side that was winning at the tail end of last season and the fact that its largely the same players gives me optimism. It's sad to see us repeating the same mistakes we made in the last two seasons.

I would say have a bit of faith and we'll eventually get there with Freedman but its hard to say that when we are seemingly restarting from the same spot as last season.

At least we gave it a go today and thats something.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Mar wrote:Win or lose today it still gives the impression that our feelings toward the manager and players wouldn't change much. I think the impression is that the win would've given us a much needed sigh of relief. From the stats you could argue that we've been unfortunate today and maybe that is the case.

Based on the last match I wanted us to take the game to the opposition and the stats would argue that it happened today. Maybe that's down to us wanting to make a difference or maybe its down to Leeds' poor situation at present but whatever the reason it would seem that we at least tried. We didn't score but I do reckon that with a little bit more relaxation and composure we would've got the goals today.

We're not a million miles away from having a winning team. Sure we're not going to win the league or from the looks of it challenge for promotion but we do look capable of attacking teams and winning matches. The side is not too dissimilar from the side that was winning at the tail end of last season and the fact that its largely the same players gives me optimism. It's sad to see us repeating the same mistakes we made in the last two seasons.

I would say have a bit of faith and we'll eventually get there with Freedman but its hard to say that when we are seemingly restarting from the same spot as last season.

Maybe not. But why can't Mr Freedman make us into that winning team? He's had long enough.

Whilst it appears that we've been 'unlucky' this season so far, bad luck simply can't account for all of our results under him to date. They say luck balances out in the end, well at this rate, if we stick with Freedman for much longer, we'll be in the 4th division before we start getting lucky.

We need a change, to see if someone else can make this squad become a winning squad, like Mr Freedman seems to be convinced we are.

Hopefully we have a promotion winning squad, maybe we do, but not whilst he's in charge.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:04 am

Arguably more worrying long-term than the ongoing managerial situation is the state of the club's youth setup. Threlkeld and Lester were very poor against Crewe and look nowhere near Championship standard. They and the rest of the kids all got overlooked today in favor of their 36 year old coach who has played one game in two years and was never really any good to begin with.

I know it's tough to be in the same area as United, City, Liverpool etc. but Blackburn seem to do better than we do. Henley, Hanley and Lowe aren't world beaters but they're The Class of 92 compared to what we've produced recently.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:12 am

There's so many things I want to rant about, but getting through them all coherently would take too long. I'm so angry. It's not even the result or the performance it's the whole fu.cking situation. Some random highlights:

I couldn't give a shit if League Two Beckford sticks his thumb up his arse and plays the whole game with his knob out, he is and always was shit. He hasn't lost form, it's not fans booing, it's not desire, it's not the service, it's not mental, it's not his age, it's not luck and it's not going to change. it's simple, he's just an excellent league two player, a good league one player and a shit championship player. A cursory glance at Wikipedia will tell you that. One of many Freedman f.uckups.

Freedman. Stop blaming individual errors!!! They make individual errors because you're a shit manager. Or because you signed shit players, either way your a c.unt.
Mar wrote: We're not a million miles away from having a winning team.

I would say have a bit of faith and we'll eventually get there with Freedman.

We've been out played by every team we've played this season including league two bury and bottom of league one Crewe.

We set up to defend then still manage to concede an average of two goals a game, whilst simultaneously being out played, out passed, out fought even against pathetic teams.

Our passing is horrific, everytime I go I count our consecutive passes (that's how fecking bored I am) whole games go by and we rarely break 7, one time last season it was the 70odd minute before we got 6.

It's not a fine line that we're just on the wrong side of. Everything isn't going to click into place. The season doesn't start here, or next week or the week after, even if we luck a win. Freedman cannot fix the mess he's got us into, this is his masterplan, this is it, this is the very best he can do.

He's the perfect blend of shit manager. No tactical knowledge whatsoever. Wastes money on shit players. Gets the worst out of players. Manages to convince people he just needs more time.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:32 am

Right i went today and i am pissed now. Some musings:

Chung yong- feck off. Sll comtrol possession and flicks and tricks when it doesnt matter. No use whatsoever. C*nt.

Feeney - every cross at the keeper. Fuuuck off. C*nt.

Wheater - was bollocksed from minute one. Why start? Shit medical department.

Hayden white - totally exposed. Positionally shit and lookeddevoid of coaching. A 17 yr old for leeds bossed midfield yet hayden white and oscar threlkeld look lost at 19, 20. Rob hall not good enough at 20...neil redfearn > jimmy phillips. Our youth set up has to be light years behind that....why?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:34 am

Well beaten imo

Joe mason fuucked up but first half we werew way off

Matt mills miased a sitter second half

3 teams worse than us?

Ps
Craig Davies our best playet by a mile, yetdougie subs him and will be srnding him out on loan

Fuuck off dugout

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:47 am

Might not of made this point enough:

Chungy - fecking useless. As much possession as you want with no danger to the opposition.

Disappeared in attacking third.

Refuses to want ball.

As much chance if assisting a goal as my dead nan.

Wanker.