Gartside Out

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Gartside Out

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am

Given the announcement that no new players are coming in this weekend, we have to accept that there is a very good chance we will be relegated this year. I don't buy this nonsense about us having good enough players, two managers now have failed to get them to play.

Phil has appointed 4 very poor managers. He has seen the club go from European football to the brink of League One. He has overseen a debt of £30m grow uncontrollably to £160m+

In what way, shape or form has he done a good job? I can only conclude that the winding down of the club is part of Eddie's plan to get his money back/minimise his losses. I can't think of any other reason why a self made businessman would sit by and watch the debt grow year on year without taking action.

The sad fact is that no manager who comes in will be able to shape the squad to their liking. The best we can hope for is someone who can motivate the current squad and has a better idea of tactics.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gartside Out

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 am

Get yer tin hats out.

And yes, I think its time for a change. On balance. Hopefully the atmosphere won't descend to Megson-level vitriol before that happens.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:31 am

Has he gone yet?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 am

if we sign any players right at the end of the deadline - then people will only be VERY VERY CROSS INDEED that Dougie (apparently) promised that he would never do that and he'd have them all signed (yes - every one of them) within a week of the season ending... so - he can't! :wink:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:26 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Get yer tin hats out.

And yes, I think its time for a change. On balance. Hopefully the atmosphere won't descend to Megson-level vitriol before that happens.

That was one of the worst times in my 50-odd years of supporting the club. Had to stop going - combination of the atmosphere and the football.

Freedman reminds me of Phil Neal - when he goes, we'll be more or less where he found us (although maybe that's optimistic).

Gartside has made quite a bit (as Chairman) over the years, repeatedly backing the wrong horse. Time for a change.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:34 am

how do clubs generally appoint a new chairman? Is there a pool of out-of-work football club chairmen who we could contact?

it's a weird kind of a job isn't it... presumably you find a competent businessman of some sort - does he have to have some kind of connection to the club or is that irrelevant?

how does it work?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm assuming (dangerous ground) that P.G is C.E.O as well as Chairman? I've seen a few C.E.O
and Managing Directors walk in my time because if a business is failing, that's the way of business, a place entirely devoid of sentiment normally. I'm also assuming there's a board of directors and after four attempts to blame the managers and players entirely for our failings as a club, they might just get around to wondering if a new tank-commander might be necessary. It does make you wonder what Eddie Davies's views are on how his business is being run. The chubby, rosy-cheeked cheer leader seems more Monty Python than Montgomery. Are P.G's attentions solely on Bolton Wanderers as a club or Burnden Leisure etc with football less important than the rest of the roundabout?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:37 pm

8) I'm with Bish on this. The black arts and is he a football fanatic, Gartside I mean. Look at any business. You don't think the chairmen of Toyota, British Aerospace, Vosper Thornycroft, etc can build cars, aircraft, ships. They are there because of the business nous that they have. When Coyle came to us he was good, then faded, same as Ginge and Dougie. Can't blame Gartside for that, he has to work within constraints and although the managers have turned out to be shit who else was available at the time. We all expected the last four managers to do us a job. The trouble is we went to Europe and then started to slide down thus compounding our disappointments on the way. Now we need a proper, real, genuine, knowledgebale tactical genius on the cheap and one who is available. As most, this thread is just going around in a circle and will arrive at it's destination just before another, pick your name, 'Out' thread. We have to suck it and see for this season. At pres we have a 28000 seat stadium getting 50% attendance so the 'Real' dyed in the wool up for anything fan deserts quicker than a rat up a drainpipe. Come our ascension back to the Prem we'll see the glory hunters coming back. So, Gartside 'In' for a bit longer, though I'm from the 40s to pres era and I've done the fourth division runs. And it's not a pretty site. Mancs just splashed £60 Million on a player. Scousers got Balowotsit Arse and Chelsea are scared of dropping out of the top four and we are shipping fans like nobody's business. We can't compete any longer with the big boys and the rebuild is going to take a few more seasons and managers.
Tin hat on for obvious reasons.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:03 pm

thebish wrote:how do clubs generally appoint a new chairman? Is there a pool of out-of-work football club chairmen who we could contact?

it's a weird kind of a job isn't it... presumably you find a competent businessman of some sort - does he have to have some kind of connection to the club or is that irrelevant?

how does it work?
the Gart put money in during the lifeline days.

if the freedman out-ers do the same then wait 20 odd years , they can appoint kavin davies's wife in 2042.

or whatever

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 pm

How it works and how it should work are two very different things.

In my opinion BWFC is a very traditional (for that read old-fashioned) club. The upside being that the club does not have knee-jerk reactions to pressure from sections of supporters or the media. It also means that they play by the rules in other respects, e.g FFP. The downside is clearly that they tend to persist in doing something which a majority of observers can see is perverse.

The Chairman, Manager and other club management are just employees of the owning company. If they are not being held accountable in the way that employees of normal commercial businesses are, then that must be company policy. The questions can only be answered by Eddie Davies, c/o Bide a Wee Rest Home, Douglas, Isle of Man.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

I would suggest our very unique position is anything but "traditional".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 pm

a1 wrote:
thebish wrote:how do clubs generally appoint a new chairman? Is there a pool of out-of-work football club chairmen who we could contact?

how does it work?

if the freedman out-ers do the same then wait 20 odd years , they can appoint kavin davies's wife in 2042.

or whatever
So did a feckin' few of us, That mean I can be chairman?
Gartside is usless, with his knowledge of football he should be a RED SHITE SUPPORTOR

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 pm

a1 wrote:

how does it work?

or whatever
There's a knob head on wanderersways that has the same view as you.

That knob head on there is you isn't it :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Can someone explain what difference Gartside going will make? Eddie employs him. He does so until he is unhappy with his work. And then he appoints someone else. But Gartside is a glorified chief operating officer.

I don't think he is employed in the traditional sense. I doubt Eddie wants or feels able to take more control. And I suspect he doesn't have the contacts within football to make a considered appointment for someone to run the club.

The last thing we need is a businessman who doesn't have any football contacts or knowledge.

And I do appreciate Gartside is well past his sell by date and has hardly covered himself in glory. But the clean sweep needed starts and ends at the top. But Gartside is not the top and therefore I don't see the difference it makes right now.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Can someone explain what difference Gartside going will make?
It'll bring a smile to my face?
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:28 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
... but will "it be there just to fool the public ?".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Defended him for years from the ludicrous stick he took when we were in the Premiership. Does feel like we need a chance though. Last few years have seen us dointk back to where he started after some of the best seasons in our history. At least 3 out of his last 4 choices as manager have been shoite though, arguably four. Feels like we need a new vein. Hopefully whoever it is can keep the patience we've had though. Would hate to become one of those sacking clubs.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:22 pm

don't get this thread.

you have ED & PG who are both bwfc fans - what do want a venkys ? No matter what some on this forum say there is no reason to think either of their love or appetite for bwfc has gone.. I can imagine they get pissed off with the stick they get and are frustrated with FFP.

As has been said before they and the board are not a hire & fire um set up and I've never got the impression they interfere in team affairs, and seem as supportive as they can be, so from a managers perspective seem a good chair/ owner.

people keep bangin on about the choice of managers - what is the average life span of a manager at any club ? Problem is we were spoilt by Sam - guys like him and ferguson experiencing success at one club for a prolonged period are the exception no the norm.

Say PG is sacked or contract not renewed - what difference is that going to make to whats happening on the pitch, unless you think he has been giving the teamtalks

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:don't get this thread.

you have ED & PG who are both bwfc fans - what do want a venkys ? No matter what some on this forum say there is no reason to think either of their love or appetite for bwfc has gone.. I can imagine they get pissed off with the stick they get and are frustrated with FFP.

As has been said before they and the board are not a hire & fire um set up and I've never got the impression they interfere in team affairs, and seem as supportive as they can be, so from a managers perspective seem a good chair/ owner.

people keep bangin on about the choice of managers - what is the average life span of a manager at any club ? Problem is we were spoilt by Sam - guys like him and ferguson experiencing success at one club for a prolonged period are the exception no the norm.

Say PG is sacked or contract not renewed - what difference is that going to make to whats happening on the pitch, unless you think he has been giving the teamtalks
Irrelevant. We're not fussed how long a manager sticks around for. As long as he actually does the feckin' job while he's here.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
... but will "it be there just to fool the public ?".
:lol: