Dead Deadline Day

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Dead Deadline Day

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:58 am

Owen is back! Appointed til end of season at Blackpool after Riga left. Interesting.
Couldn't be arsed giving him his own thread.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Owen is back! Appointed til end of season at Blackpool after Riga left. Interesting.
That's them fecked then :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 pm

He's still got Preston left to complete a set!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:30 pm

wigan white wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Owen is back! Appointed til end of season at Blackpool after Riga left. Interesting.
I don't know, they can't be any more fecked than they already are, and if the happy clappy stuff gives them a pickup and he somehow keeps them up then he's back in the game. More likely they go down, but he's lost nothing really because of the situation he's gone into.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:38 pm

wigan white wrote:
Misplaced hubris is always amusing.

Coyle's disgraceful treatment by the club was one of the most shameful moments in its history. I wish he was still in charge - we'd be in the premier league now. As it is, I haven't been to a match since he was sacked.

If he does take over at Blackpool, they'll finish above us. Guaranteed.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 pm

They must like the name Owen. They've already had one fxcking them about for years.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
wigan white wrote:
I don't know, they can't be any more fecked than they already are, and if the happy clappy stuff gives them a pickup and he somehow keeps them up then he's back in the game. More likely they go down, but he's lost nothing really because of the situation he's gone into.
I just think as the squad is mostly new players that they need more of an organiser than a motivator/clapper. Actually think it's a win/win situation for him as if they go down, it's the fault of the Owston season, but if they stay up he'll have worked miracles. Could be a shrewd move for Coyley.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Good luck to him, as long as they don't stay up at our expense.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:56 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
wigan white wrote:

yep.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:07 pm

I wish he could manage all 23 of the other teams!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:I wish he could manage all 23 of the other teams!
I wish Freedman could!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm a bit concerned about how fast he'll be able to turn them from a Championship outfit with no points, into a shit team, with no Transfer Window still open.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Puskas wrote:
wigan white wrote:

Coyle's disgraceful treatment by the club was one of the most shameful moments in its history. I wish he was still in charge - we'd be in the premier league now. As it is, I haven't been to a match since he was sacked.
Haa Haa LOL, if I recall we were in a similar position tow hat we are now when he left, Megson was the one we shouldn't have sacked.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Puskas wrote:Coyle's disgraceful treatment by the club was one of the most shameful moments in its history. I wish he was still in charge - we'd be in the premier league now. As it is, I haven't been to a match since he was sacked.
Good God Almighty.

I knew you were a WUM, but bloody hell. Sacked a year too late .... & that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Puskas wrote:
wigan white wrote:

Haa Haa LOL, if I recall we were in a similar position tow hat we are now when he left, Megson was the one we shouldn't have sacked.
Megson? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 am

Megson kept us up and probably would have done again, Coyle on the other hand relegated us and was having a real good go at relegating us again(to league 1), just because he used to be a Bolton player and likes attacking football it doesn't make him a footballing god.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:47 am

Why did we sack him then? Him being so good and everything?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:05 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:Megson kept us up and probably would have done again, Coyle on the other hand relegated us and was having a real good go at relegating us again(to league 1), just because he used to be a Bolton player and likes attacking football it doesn't make him a footballing god.
Whilst certain folk seem to think I'm a WUM (whilst weirdly ignoring far more ridiculous views than anything I ever post), this is just silly.

When he was sacked, we were in the bottom three. Megson likes to say we had two games in hand. What he doesn't mention is that those games were against Chelsea and Arsenal. Would we have won them? Really? We nearly did beat them under Coyle - possibly would have if Gallas had been correctly punished for his assault on Mark Davies (and recall the reaction of the Arsenal "fans" when he was stretchered off? Imagine if that had happened when one of their players was being stretchered off - Ramsey for example? They'd still be whining about it to this day. Hypocritical fecking vermin, every last bastard one of them). But I digress. The important game was the home match against Burnley - which we won (possibly partly because of the disarray the managerial upheaval had on Burnley) - we went above them, out of the bottom three. Would we have beaten them under Megson, if they'd still had Coyle? And especially of they had Wilshire and Holden (don't forget Coyle was initially intending in taking them to Burnley)? I doubt it....
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:38 am

Yes but when required Megson did the business, we needed to beat Sunderland at home(his first season) we did, under Coyle we had to go to a mid table Stoke team with nothing(absolutely nothing) to play of and what happened, we can talk about the ifs and buts but the point is we didn't get the win we needed, both of our goals were extremely fortunate(as were theirs). Coyle having just relegated Bolton wanderers was then handed a perfect start, perfect because it gave us the opportunity to stamp or authority on the championship at hi old club, a place where he is hated, we started the season as favourites to be promoted with most of our Premiership side intact and we lost, when Coyle left we were struggling in the bottom half of the table, we had dropped about 20 places in the football league during his tenure, much further than we have under Freedman and if you recall when Megson was sacked we were in pretty much the same position as where we were when he started. Dougie has got a long way to go if he is fall into the same category as Coyle for me, if next season were struggling in league 1 then he will deserve to be there but as far as I'm concerned Coyle was comfortably the worst of our last 3 managerial appointments.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:44 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Yes but when required Megson did the business, we needed to beat Sunderland at home(his first season) we did, under Coyle we had to go to a mid table Stoke team with nothing(absolutely nothing) to play of and what happened, we can talk about the ifs and buts but the point is we didn't get the win we needed, both of our goals were extremely fortunate(as were theirs). Coyle having just relegated Bolton wanderers was then handed a perfect start, perfect because it gave us the opportunity to stamp or authority on the championship at hi old club, a place where he is hated, we started the season as favourites to be promoted with most of our Premiership side intact and we lost, when Coyle left we were struggling in the bottom half of the table, we had dropped about 20 places in the football league during his tenure, much further than we have under Freedman and if you recall when Megson was sacked we were in pretty much the same position as where we were when he started. Dougie has got a long way to go if he is fall into the same category as Coyle for me, if next season were struggling in league 1 then he will deserve to be there but as far as I'm concerned Coyle was comfortably the worst of our last 3 managerial appointments.
There's a lot of sense in what you say Dan, but what made Megson different and, ultimately worse, was he was strangling the soul of the club. Freedman for me falls between the two; he's got a tough job, no denying, but he shows little sign of being up to it.

The sad thing is, if he came out and said something like this: "I've been told to batten down the hatches and do my best to keep us in this division with the aim, in 3-5 years time, of building a young team, capable of challenging for promotion" - then I, and quite a few others on this forum, would be willing to support him and wait it out.