Site For Sale

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Site For Sale

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:12 pm

^^
Sounds very Sisyphean.... Actually, I haven't even the very faintest idea what any of the above means....but Yeah. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Probably going to get jumped on for this but here goes anyway.

Some of the older members on here may remember me as being an active contributer on here some years back, indeed I was briefly a mod on this site before that priviledge was taken from me for wanting the forum to be vastly more fairer and equal than what it once was.

Anyway long story short, I and two other well travelled forumers started up a new site a couple of years ago called Bolton Nuts. I sought permission from those who run this site to announce our existence and after several days of being made to sit and wait for a decision was nearly banned for the impertinence of posting a link up anyway on the basis that we (Bolton Nuts) as a start up forum with hardly anybody being aware of even our existence, were hardly liable to be a threat to this huge and then popular leviathan of a site.

Where I'm going with this is that Nuts is run and hosted for a princely sum of £20 per YEAR.

We have nearly 200,000 posts (which is about a quarter of what this site as achieved to date) and a membership in excess of 500 - ie we are not a small insignificant site that only requires basic support and hosting needs.

Indeed we host many videos on the site (every games higlights for instance) and we even run a radio stream direct from the site with live match commentary which can be received anywhere in the world - we have members who listen to the games in Canada, USA, Europe and even in the far east asia.

Non of us three founder members have an ounce of IT skills and although we have been lucky with others who have since joined us, non of our backroom members still have any real depth or knowledge of techy stuff.

I know I will be poo-pooed by the professional computer geeks on the site but the simple fact is that if we IT numpties can survive, grow and flourish a site from nothing for just £20 per YEAR then maybe you're vastly overthinking how forums work and cost these days?

And if you think that this post was just a way of trying to name drop Bolton Nuts then I'm sure you will be pleased to hear that 'Nuts' as recently attained NewsNow membership - which means our name is now out there in the internet world where people go to look for Bolton stuff (together with our Facebook and Twitter sites) and that irrespective of whether this post or I survive, fellow Wanderers fans will be hearing a great deal more of Nuts from now on.

So maybe if you cut the 'jargon' and rethink the running cost then vastly more people on this site would feel more able to partake and become more active in its running - that's the secret to our success on Bolton Nuts.

I now await either my post to be deleted and / or being told that I don't know what I'm talking about.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Mar, if you were looking to do any future development on the site then you could go through that sort of set up, however it is all very basic and probably isn't worth doing it if you were happy to host it and let it tick along. I'll always be on hand to help.

Sluffy, I'm not sure what your trying to say in your post. The price I pay at the moment is the price I pay, I am fully aware that you can get cheaper hosting elsewhere and if we went with the option of using a members server that is already in place then the cost would be significantly lower.

The whole point of this thread is that I don't want to be involved in the running of the site, so I'd like to hand over the reigns to somebody who can do with it as they wish, hosting and cost included.

Thanks for coming on and doing your usual thing of posting nothing of any worth, missing the whole point and giving your site another plug.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Didn't take long, did it?

I see you are still harping on about things taken from you here, well nothing ever was. I was there, remember? You weren't suitable as a mod because you wanted to crash in and start making your own rules after being invited on to the Mods forum. Your points about fairness are silly. You just like your own way is all. The world awaits Nuts, so press on. We'll do likewise.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

Well thank you for your kind words Kevin.

Maybe the point I was making is that the person you could hand your site over too doesn't need to have their own hosting facility or even know much about computers at all but up to now have ruled themselves out simply because they think you have to, to be able to take on the running of this site.

I'm living proof that anyone could run a site this size for just a few quid each year and virtually no IT knowledge whatsoever.

Unless I've missed something you are saying you want to hand the site over to someone else to run, but up to know what people are hearing is that you want to hand over your site that costs you £350 per year and needs some hosting facility - which rules an awful lot of people out - in fact it seems to have ruled everyone out bar two!

The point I've made is that neither the cost or having existing hosting facilities are actually a barrier in the slightest if anyone as the desire to take on the site - and that rules back in an awful lot more than just the two people who have shown interest so far.

Thanks once again for your opinion of me.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:27 pm

I know what is required keveh, an yea it could be very simple to keep as is. I just figured I've got the scripts to setup that environment ready made an a quick face lift wouldn't go amiss. My posting it is a courtesy really to let people know possibilities an my work flow seeing as theres been a few mentioned wanting to help. Hopefully a simple foundation can help.

I don't think anyone has ruled anyone out sluffy. As far as I understand it its a simple case of this is the situation as is and if it is to persist then work is involved. Its certainly not equivalent to starting a fresh forum from scratch as you seem to be eluding to.

Of course there are people more suited to migrating than others. Fortunately there are people who already have a similar system setup and are willing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:29 pm

onlywanderer wrote:I'd like to echo the 'happy to contribute financially, useless at I.T' mantra.

Visit the site every day without fail. Would be a terrible shame to lose it.
And another.

Cheers Keveh!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Didn't take long, did it?

I see you are still harping on about things taken from you here, well nothing ever was. I was there, remember? You weren't suitable as a mod because you wanted to crash in and start making your own rules after being invited on to the Mods forum. Your points about fairness are silly. You just like your own way is all. The world awaits Nuts, so press on. We'll do likewise.
Funny how the memory plays tricks isn't it?

I thought I'd simply asked for a 'mods' forum where issues could be discussed in some privacy as some of the most flagrent abusers of power, influence or simply were treated as though the rules did not apply to them were either members of the same hidden forum we discussed mod issues on - or had close friends who were.

Indeed I'll even name names as three of them have been given life bans from here since then - Warthog who thought he was a Mr big of the site behind the scenes, Batman who best mate Ginger was in the inner sanctum (I wonder what happened to him when Batty was finally banned for good?) and Commie who's golfing partner is still active on the secret forum.

Forgive me for being silly that I wanted all members to be treated equally and fairly, whilst the rest of you didn't want your mates to be pulled up about their behaviour to lesser mortals on the site.

Yes you are right, I did want my own way - I did want equality for all - in the end I had to create my own site with two others who felt the same way too, to achieve it.

Maybe that's why Nuts is doing so spectacularly well?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:50 pm

There is no "secret forum" you silly fxcking man. There is a think tank from whence the general site is run. There is also a finance and corporate business link which you insisted you should be given access to and were politely told that was none of your business. It wasn't. Now you are here shxt -stirring about long past matters. Despite your protestations of innocence you post makes it very obvious you are here to cause trouble. We don't need it. Oh, and I'm not recommending making you important or a martyr by banning you. That would just give you more shxt to sling. Keep reading the forum, it obviously attracts you greatly despite what you say. Your post says far more about you than those you have a dig at.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Mar wrote:I don't think anyone has ruled anyone out sluffy. As far as I understand it its a simple case of this is the situation as is and if it is to persist then work is involved. Its certainly not equivalent to starting a fresh forum from scratch as you seem to be eluding to.

Of course there are people more suited to migrating than others. Fortunately there are people who already have a similar system setup and are willing.
There's also plenty of hosting sites out there that have similar system setups and will help you migrate to and host thereafter for just a few tens of pounds and nothing like the £350 Kev's paying!

You simply don't need high level IT skills or a bucket full of cash anymore to run (or move) forums.

Fair play to you for having both and in all probability you or Mr Twin will likely take on the site and run it well - all I'm saying is that everyone else who doesn't have money and / or the hosting facility shouldn't rule themselves out just because of that, as they are not barriers to running this or any other forum these days.

Maybe someone with the desire and plenty of time available to put into the site would be able to take the site forward more than yourself or Twin who may have the IT knowledge and systems but lack the time to dedicate to it?

Just a thought.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Maybe. I'm sure anyone can feel free to put there name forward. Let's not bicker over a changing of the tides. Hopefully when you pack your forum in sluffy you'll get volunteers to take over. As it stands i doubt that to be the case. We're here because we've had a good deal of community content over the years.

If it wasn't for this site I would've missed out on the millennium stadium trip. Thankfully this site helped me out. Im not the biggest fan but it's nice to give something back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:02 am

There's a secret forum? Do we have to pay a higher DD to get that?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:05 am

Prufrock wrote:There's a secret forum? Do we have to pay a higher DD to get that?
That's a secret.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:12 am

TANGODANCER wrote:There is no "secret forum" you silly fxcking man. There is a think tank from whence the general site is run. There is also a finance and corporate business link which you insisted you should be given access to and were politely told that was none of your business. It wasn't. Now you are here shxt -stirring about long past matters. Despite your protestations of innocence you post makes it very obvious you are here to cause trouble. We don't need it. Oh, and I'm not recommending making you important or a martyr by banning you. That would just give you more shxt to sling. Keep reading the forum, it obviously attracts you greatly despite what you say. Your post says far more about you than those you have a dig at.

If there are no hidden/ secret parts of the forum then why can't everyone see them, then?

I simply asked for a place where modding could be done away from those who needed modding - I even asked if something could be created specially - and not in front of their very eyes as would have been the case otherwise!

I had serious issues with the behaviour of four individuals, all who had access in some way or other to the only place where we had to talk about modding issues - you know this 'hidden' forum you're telling me that didn't exist.

Three of these people were banned for life from here since.

In retrospect it did seem to show I had an extremely valid point.

I await patiently further personal abuse of me in your reply.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 am

Sluffy. You continue to develop the Bolton Nuts site. It sounds really wonderful.

Just make sure that you get out more too.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:34 am

sluffy wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:There is no "secret forum" you silly fxcking man. There is a think tank from whence the general site is run. There is also a finance and corporate business link which you insisted you should be given access to and were politely told that was none of your business. It wasn't. Now you are here shxt -stirring about long past matters. Despite your protestations of innocence you post makes it very obvious you are here to cause trouble. We don't need it. Oh, and I'm not recommending making you important or a martyr by banning you. That would just give you more shxt to sling. Keep reading the forum, it obviously attracts you greatly despite what you say. Your post says far more about you than those you have a dig at.
If there are no hidden/ secret parts of the forum then why can't everyone see them, then?
I simply asked for a place where modding could be done away from those who needed modding - I even asked if something could be created specially - and not in front of their very eyes as would have been the case otherwise.

I had serious issues with the behaviour of four individuals, all who had access in some way or other to the only place where we had to talk about modding issues - you know this 'hidden' forum you're telling me that didn't exist.
Three of these people were banned for life from here since.
In retrospect it did seem to show I had an extremely valid point.
I await patiently further personal abuse of me in your reply.
:lol:

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:34 am

Mar wrote:Maybe. I'm sure anyone can feel free to put there name forward. Let's not bicker over a changing of the tides. Hopefully when you pack your forum in sluffy you'll get volunteers to take over. As it stands i doubt that to be the case. We're here because we've had a good deal of community content over the years.

If it wasn't for this site I would've missed out on the millennium stadium trip. Thankfully this site helped me out. Im not the biggest fan but it's nice to give something back.
That's indeed a strange thing to say?

Are you a member of Nuts or even read it, if not how can you make such a judgement?

If you are you may know that we have more active participation in the back office running of Nuts than probably any forum around - I dare say including this.

In fact we openly welcome people wanting to get involved in Nuts as this gives people an ownership in the site and makes them feel as though they belong and are not in an us (the mods) and them (the punters) situation.

We don't believe in trying to achieve this by having two tier membership with the most favoured having access to an 'hidden' forum and the rest not, like here - but rather anyone who comes up with an idea they'd like to try or who wanted to contribute to the running of Nuts in some way being given all the access (and help) they require to do this.

In fact I'm probably one of the least active members of the Nuts back office team, so I've no doubt if I stepped out under the proverbial bus tomorrow, Nuts would continue to grow and flourish absolutely fine without me.

Although I may have been one of the founders of Nuts our concept was never to take any advantage from it in anyway but rather share it with all who want to be part of Nuts with us.

The more people involved with Nuts the better it is for everyone is our view and one that seems to be working fantasically well so far.

What was your reason for saying that if I may ask?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:44 am

Sluffy, put the ale down and go sleep it off mate. You're really embarrassing yourself now.
Businesswoman of the year.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:44 am

I have no desire to be in the inner sanctum of this site. I have no desire to be a moderator. I don't feel my life is lessened by this.

There. I've said it. #cleansed