Site For Sale

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Site For Sale

Post by jaffka » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:48 am

I find it fascinating when behind the scenes discussions become public.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:21 am

I hate to bite again, but Sluffy, the cost isn't the issue and even if it cost double then there would be enough sponsorship/people willing to help out to cover it.

I personally don't want to be involved in that anymore and barely use the site, I'd much rather let somebody else manage who would have the drive to develop it.

Also, as Mar says, migrating this site and setting it up will require technical knowledge, you won't be able to just pick this thing up and run with it. Also with its age and therefore a lot of historic data it takes up a lot of disk space which couldn't simply be download over ftp.

Any other questions feel free to pm me, or start another thread as I'm aware you like everything out in the open. I'd like to keep this thread on topic rather than being derailed.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 am

I agree with Enfield... personally I wish MORE of the forum was top-secret - specifically, the whole Trotters Section - so that I didn't know it was even there and couldn't read it!!

there's enough pain in belonging to TW (or any Bolton Forum) without wanting MORE!!!

why would i want in on a place where Tango and Zulu and Crazy Horse talk about their underpants fetishes and suchlike?? :wink:

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:06 am

Four pages to rancour and argument so about right. Keveh has done a super job, coupled with his team, and deserves all our thanks as has been shown by some. The cost individually is neither here nor there; it's either a couple of pints a year which is the healthy option or being denied the stressful, exciting banter that is generally found here. "Secret Forum". We've had one of those since the days of Atom, then when Bish (Bishop) started up what eventually turned into TW and we all thought Mar was a female, Simbo would come round your house, from Uxbridge, and thump you, Bolton Billy would be at away games and buy you a drink, Bench came and went as family life grabbed hold of him and Keveh took hold of the reins. Leyther Matt used to post "Shortest posts" to enhance his post-count when he and I were neck and neck on 5000 posts each and we agreed to reset the count to allow others to catch up. We've seen Todd and son, Rioch, BSA, JJ, Campo, Gudni, Super John, Nolan, even Ricketts in that superb season. Been to Europe and Wembley and now down in the Championship. It's been up and down, like the football this site has been filled with excitement, happiness, downright depression and some mudslinging, but we went in one end and came out the other virtually untouched. Now we move on. Doesn't matter if it's £350pa or nowt, it's the closeness we have each with the other, even as strangers there's still lots this site offers and it'd be a shame for it to be allowed to sink without trace. So I'm in for a few bob and long may it be so. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:07 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:I have no desire to be in the inner sanctum of this site. I have no desire to be a moderator. I don't feel my life is lessened by this.

There. I've said it. #cleansed
This! Which is why I am happy to contribute financially and allow those with the expertise, knowledge, time and desire to do what they do.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:16 am

The idea of the Think Tank, of which I was a member, was simply to drum up additional ideas for the site regarding recurrent themes such as the 'What Are You....' threads, front page articles, items for the paper edition which we handed out a few years ago and so on. That was all. It wasn't to become part of the inner workings of the site. Those that were involved in it, with the clear exception of Sluffy, understood that perfectly well. What it certainly wasn't was some sort of inner sanctum.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:24 am

Sluffy,

I have experience of starting forums from scratch, migrating existing ones and all with varying traffic and technical needs. Your website/forum may well run perfectly well on a £20 a year shared hosting package. This is a good option for starting a forum, but has several issues as a site grows:

1. You share resources with other websites. If one of those websites gets greedy all of a sudden it can and will slow your website to a crawl. I've even experienced in that scenario my website crashing several times a day. There is nothing you can do about it and it can happen any time - it's luck of the draw.

2. Shared hosting isn't very scalable. You hit a point eventually when you need more server resources consistently.

3. Shared hosting gives you no control over the server. Server goes down, you can only submit a support request. Your own server you can fix immediately. You have access to lots of things shared hosting doesn't give you that can be beneficial.

Every website has different needs. In short, you get what you pay for. I pay for my own server because I can host what I want, how I want and when I want. I can customise, upgrade and do a multitude of things that are just not possible on a shared server. That and the reliability and scalability is why £25 or whatever is worth paying.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:There's a secret forum? Do we have to pay a higher DD to get that?
That's a secret.
Ooh can I be part of "the inner circle" :mrgreen:
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:29 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:There's a secret forum? Do we have to pay a higher DD to get that?
That's a secret.
Yes. Now go and stand in the corner!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:The idea of the Think Tank, of which I was a member, was simply to drum up additional ideas for the site regarding recurrent themes such as the 'What Are You....' threads, front page articles, items for the paper edition which we handed out a few years ago and so on. That was all. It wasn't to become part of the inner workings of the site. Those that were involved in it, with the clear exception of Sluffy, understood that perfectly well. What it certainly wasn't was some sort of inner sanctum.
Thank you Bruce. That description nails it exactly. For the benefit of the members interested:

The "inner workings" of the site related mainly to Keveh's ideas for fund-raising etc and discussions about such. Ratbert was site editor and responsible for the front page content, articles etc, keeping the Last Match/Next Match in order and using the site tools for publishing and editing anything anyone submitted. That's the role I took over. Site admin also have access to a "Ban" button for extreme cases. In times of bombing spam attacks trusted folk like Bruce and co were given access to this to help delete idiot posts. "Hiddn Forum?" Think "Board meetings". No doubt Sluffy's emlployers invite him along to such and he's probably demanded access or accuse them of conspiracy.

Okay, we all have "Admin are ace" badges and clever secret passwords (this week's is "Sheffield Tuesday", for instance) Zulu has a South Wales Borderers uniform as worn in the film and also a 303 calibre rifle which he dons for ceremonial bans, and a pair of drone binnoculars that track members from a great height, but the police and M.I.7 know all about him. Any new site owner will be expected to wear Keveh's Wandering Dragon robes and mask (think of a "pointy-head boss" hood but with the face showing) a sort of bedsheet with a large B.W.F.C. badge and a pair of navy-blue Jesus sandals. Hoss and myself content ourselves with typing on here with our left trouser legs rolled up and wear our "Everybody Out" T-shirts. And that's about it. Sorry there are no great secrets to reveal but no doubt Sluffy will persist with his conspiracy theories and invent a few.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:32 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
That's a secret.
Once you've found your way out of the paper bag it is all yours :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:34 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
That's a secret.
I don't want to be part of any inner sanctum thanks. I get enough shit off my housemate for 'chatting up and meeting men off the internet'.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:34 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The idea of the Think Tank, of which I was a member, was simply to drum up additional ideas for the site regarding recurrent themes such as the 'What Are You....' threads, front page articles, items for the paper edition which we handed out a few years ago and so on. That was all. It wasn't to become part of the inner workings of the site. Those that were involved in it, with the clear exception of Sluffy, understood that perfectly well. What it certainly wasn't was some sort of inner sanctum.
Thank you Bruce. That description nails it exactly. For the benefit of the members interested:

The "inner workings" of the site related mainly to Keveh's ideas for fund-raising etc and discussions about such. Ratbert was site editor and responsible for the front page content, articles etc, keeping the Last Match/Next Match in order and using the site tools for publishing and editing anything anyone submitted. That's the role I took over. Site admin also have access to a "Ban" button for extreme cases. In times of bombing spam attacks trusted folk like Bruce and co were given access to this to help delete idiot posts. "Hiddn Forum?" Think "Board meetings". No doubt Sluffy's emlployers invite him along to such and he's probably demanded access or accuse them of conspiracy.
As a former Think Tanker I can confirm this to be truth. I'm still a bit miffed to be honest that we didn't get a badge or certificate or owt :evil: :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:45 am

Personally, I think we should thank Sluffy for providing us with a bit of weekend entertainment that perfectly mirrors his site name. What was it again..? Bolton Nuts......? :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mitch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mitch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't offer any help on the techy side but am happy to contribute.

I don't post often but I browse regularly ... and always on matchdays whether I've been to the game or not... so I appreciate all the effort that goes in to running the site. I've rarely anyone to banter with about Bolton now as my children have flown the nest (I live and work amongst a sea of alternative provision :oops:) so it gives me a fix :wink:

I've also picked up many a tip in the what to watch/read/eat and drink threads :D

Sounds like it's going to kept running so a big thanks from me to those who stepped forward.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:48 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
That's a secret.
I don't want to be part of any inner sanctum thanks. I get enough shit off my housemate for 'chatting up and meeting men off the internet'.
:shock:

Are you actually one of them gayers?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:51 pm

jaffka wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
That's a secret.
:shock:

Are you actually one of them gayers?
Send me a PM, :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: As a former Think Tanker I can confirm this to be truth. I'm still a bit miffed to be honest that we didn't get a badge or certificate or owt :evil: :wink:
Didn't you? Oh! 8)
May the bridges I burn light your way

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:50 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
That's a secret.

:lol:

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:20 pm

sell it to chris bishop