Trouble in't Mill

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Trouble in't Mill

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:15 am

The Millers are next up at the repeatedly sacked fortress Macron. :(

A mid week game that could have the lowest crowd so far this season. Desperate times so a win is required and this match thread will guarantee it. :oyea:

However history isn't on our side for this fixture. Since December 1960 (the first match which they won 2-0 in the league cup) Rotherham have won 15 of the games, 13 drawn and only 7 victories for the super whites. However the last game between us in 1993 was a 2-0 victory for the Wanderers at Burnden Park in division 2, Andy Walker bagging a brace 8)

So come on you super whites, the season starts at 20:00 hours on Tuesday, 16th September 2014.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Trouble in't Mill

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 am

Opportunity for 'Rotherhamlet' completely missed. Boooooooo. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm

When I were a lad Rotherham felt like a similar sort of club to us: depressed northern milltown harking back to glory days which ended in the sixties (bar a couple of seasons in the early-80s for them, late-70s for us). It's got rather different since then, theirs being a particularly tale, but after 22 years apart our paths have crossed once more.

Two Scottish managers, one of whom looks deathly and is very unpopular at the club, the other looks like a coronary in waiting and who's almost universally unpopular outwith the club.

Feb 1990's 2-0 home defeat to Rotherham may be the closest I've come to serious injury at a match. Filing out at the end down the Paddock with the rest of the disgruntled home support, I suddenly got the urge to look toward the away end – and therefore noticed an Orangina bottle coming at a rate of knots from the back of their terrace right towards my face. I had just enough time to duck and thankfully it avoided anybody else behind me, smashing into pieces against the perimeter fence.

Still, they were great days, before the Premier League and all that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:When I were a lad Rotherham felt like a similar sort of club to us: depressed northern milltown harking back to glory days which ended in the sixties (bar a couple of seasons in the early-80s for them, late-70s for us). It's got rather different since then, theirs being a particularly tale, but after 22 years apart our paths have crossed once more.

Two Scottish managers, one of whom looks deathly and is very unpopular at the club, the other looks like a coronary in waiting and who's almost universally unpopular outwith the club.

Feb 1990's 2-0 home defeat to Rotherham may be the closest I've come to serious injury at a match. Filing out at the end down the Paddock with the rest of the disgruntled home support, I suddenly got the urge to look toward the away end – and therefore noticed an Orangina bottle coming at a rate of knots from the back of their terrace right towards my face. I had just enough time to duck and thankfully it avoided anybody else behind me, smashing into pieces against the perimeter fence.

Did you got to that game at Millmoor a year later when Tony Cunningham made the main contribution of his short stay with 2 goals in a 2-2 draw? That was a good day out, full of hope on the way to the playoffs, of which we shall speak no more.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:42 pm

^ Was that a night match, DSB? I definitely remember playing them in a night match. They had a black lad up front that always used to score against us - can't think of his name though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 pm

LE: Aye, I did – was an away regular at that point. IIRC Cunningham's debut was at Cambridge - we were delayed but got on the away end just in time to see him whump a volley onto the bar. Ended up losing as John Beck's side zoomed past us up the table - before that match they were 7th, they ended up winning the league ahead of Southend and Grimsby.

BR: No, I remember it (and the internet confirms it) as a Saturday, but we played them at home again five months later. Soccerbase is good for this sort of thing: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to ... am2_id=354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Cambridge were scary that year, the first time I saw deliberate long ball football and Dublin and Taylor devastated out defence with it at Burnden. Beck was a nutter but he certainly got results for a while.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:47 pm

My third game of the season. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much but you can but hope for a good game and a Wanderers win.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:23 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:When I were a lad Rotherham felt like a similar sort of club to us: depressed northern milltown harking back to glory days which ended in the sixties (bar a couple of seasons in the early-80s for them, late-70s for us). It's got rather different since then, theirs being a particularly tale, but after 22 years apart our paths have crossed once more.

Did you got to that game at Millmoor a year later when Tony Cunningham made the main contribution of his short stay with 2 goals in a 2-2 draw? That was a good day out, full of hope on the way to the playoffs, of which we shall speak no more.
My legs were covered with bovril when that second went in.

It has been posted before on here.

Mofgimmers was particularly amused. Where is he and what is a mofgimmers?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Good question, No idea! Must have been discussed before my forum days.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Even Dougie doesn't think we'll win this one. From his pre-match press conference -
@OfficialBWFC: DF: "We haven't had much luck, but our lads are battling on. When that first win comes we're confident we'll be away."
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Where is the best place to park these days if you don't want to pay the rip off fees of the official car park?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:17 pm

malcd1 wrote:My third game of the season. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much but you can but hope for a good game and a Wanderers win.
All part of the Yorkshire Tragedy, Malc. Lose to Leeds, fight a retreat against Sheffield and then...fill up the walls with our glorious dead against Rotherwood, oh.that's Ivanhoe, er Rotherham rather and emerge victorious. Red Rose triumphs over White Rose..... Well, something like that.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:12 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Where is the best place to park these days if you don't want to pay the rip off fees of the official car park?
If you want to park near the ground - the retail section that includes Asda. We park t'other side of Chorley new Rd. Get away earlier. but with dougie's best efforts we soon won't be attracting crowds of any size and can camp as near as we want.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Getting away is a peice of piss now. Park where you want, you'll be out inno time. All part of the masterplan! Thanks phil!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Rotherham are a decent side, full of energy and ridding the crest of a wave. They'll attack us from the off tomorrow. We'll be lucky to get a point.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Bollox

We will stuff them.

Get some fecking money on a super whites win. ITK FACT.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 pm

jaffka wrote:Mofgimmers was particularly amused. Where is he and what is a mofgimmers?
Busy DJing and writing things. Some of them are tweets @MofGimmers (surprised that handle wasn't taken), some are here http://mofgimmers.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Still as great value as ever.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 pm

William the White wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:Where is the best place to park these days if you don't want to pay the rip off fees of the official car park?
If you want to park near the ground - the retail section that includes Asda. We park t'other side of Chorley new Rd. Get away earlier. but with dougie's best efforts we soon won't be attracting crowds of any size and can camp as near as we want.
Night matches, like Sundays, are no problem on Tesco .... without the £5 fee
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:21 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:
Night matches, like Sundays, are no problem on Tesco .... without the £5 fee
Been a while sine you used the Car Park....£7....