Problems with Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Problems with Gartside

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:We don't really have much debt.
We're still up sh*t creek on FFP.

Anybody explain?
Others will be far better at it than me, but as I understand it:

* FFP basically means your outgoings can't vastly exceed your incomings (we're looking at you, PSG and Man City etc)
* Ours still do, because Championship income is vastly less than Premiership income, especially as parachute payments shrink
* The debt, which is large but structured very manageably (all to Eddie not banks), is a small outgoing compared to wages (IIRC?)

Basically, any club who signed long-term contracts without relegation-reduction clauses is still paying Premier wages on Champo income. In my opinion Gartside's BN interview was far from being a loaded gun pointed at his own head, but for me the worst part in it was the implication that relegation caused us this contractual problem - that we had (I surmise) been extending contracts without these relegation-reduction clauses. Considering FFP was not a surprise when it arrived, this strikes me as foolish.

More details (generally) on FFP here: http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/fina ... lained.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT Thanks Worthy. Is it possible/easy, for explanation, to list the last few seasons' Income vs Costs?
Thanks, DSB. Will take a look at this when I have a moment. At first sight, your point about the contracts strikes me as well made.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:05 am

Yes on point 3. Interest V Wages...

Last year £35m wages £7.5m interest (£6m of which was to Moonshift) - so we will still have some costs I suspect in relation to the Bank facility (which they've reduced)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 am

EverSoYouri wrote:Much obliged, Worthy. That's a damned sight clearer than mud!

But...it does suggest that ED taking interest (or whatever Garty wants to call it) would have been a contribution to our falling foul of FFP. Am I right?
Say our Revenue this season is £25m and our costs are £30m without the interest payments, we're over the "break even" (we spend more than we earn) so the spectre of penalty looms. As it's under £8m more than we earn, we're in the clear. If we added the interest payments back in, we'd earn £25m and our costs would be £36.5m - so we'd be at +£11.5m and would incur a sliding scale fine related to the £3.5m we were over the threshold...

So yes our interest payments could have an impact and therefore ED has effectively helped us out again by waiving it...

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:40 pm

The timing of this frank interview appears to be some kind of political move by Gartside, making fans 'appreciate' his honesty at a time when his head is being called for.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Well...yeah.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:43 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Well...yeah.
Disgraceful. Imagine putting your side of the story !!

Booooo !!!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

Booooo !!!
It's like witch burning. If he said nowt, he's drowned. If he speaks to the press as people have been demanding, he floats and we should burn him. :-)

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Booooo !!!
It's like witch burning. If he said nowt, he's drowned. If he speaks to the press as people have been demanding, he floats and we should burn him. :-)
And Hilary Devey flies in on a new broom... :lol:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Good interview, I liked his answers.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:19 pm

He irritates me, but I respect that interview more for the frankness, even if he does think it's all someone else's fault. Far preferable to banal platitudes about fans being 'the lifeblood' etc. etc...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:He irritates me, but I respect that interview more for the frankness, even if he does think it's all someone else's fault. Far preferable to banal platitudes about fans being 'the lifeblood' etc. etc...
Yep.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:51 am

article in the guardian doesn't paint PG in tghe best light

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... rers-abyss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:article in the guardian doesn't paint PG in tghe best light

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... rers-abyss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Guardian also wrote on the club's financial state a few months ago (highlighting the difference between ED taking interest and Al Fayed - of all people - who never did).

This is either a vendetta or a newspaper which refuses to be fobbed off. (The article makes much of Garty's 'I'm sick of answering that' remark in his recent BN interview).

Perhaps most telling is the unfavourable comparison to Wigan Athletic.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:27 am

Is that the rag who had that Femail reporter with a negative fixation on us ?

I understand it's financially on its last legs. Let's celebrate that.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:49 am

bobo the clown wrote:Is that the rag who had that Femail reporter with a negative fixation on us ?

Yes. Louise Taylor.

We need to keep the Guardian as a foil to the easy cryptic crosswords they put in the Telegraph to convince their Tory readership, they're not thick.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:01 am

bobo the clown wrote:Is that the rag who had that Femail reporter with a negative fixation on us ?

No, Bobo. That's The Grauniad. (You can relax and go back to your 103 Sunday Times supplements...) :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:

Yes. Louise Taylor.

We need to keep the Guardian as a foil to the easy cryptic crosswords they put in the Telegraph to convince their Tory readership, they're not thick.
I thought only public sector workers were allowed to read that Worthy. Or is that "can stand to read it".

Which to be fair would account for about 87% of the workforce in the dream World of the Ed's and Harriet I guess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Yes. Louise Taylor.

I thought only public sector workers were allowed to read that Worthy. Or is that "can stand to read it".

Which to be fair would account for about 87% of the workforce in the dream World of the Ed's and Harriet I guess.
I only get either for the crossy, so dunno. For the rest of it they're both fatally skewed.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:39 am

↑↑↑↑ yay. Bllx. Such an old excuse.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:52 am

Given our comparison is (reasonably enough imo) wigan how do our agent fee spendings compare? They have been publishing those figures for a while?

I'm quite anti Gartside in terms of his running of the club, but is he really any more 'crooked' than his counterparts?