Will Carrot Top top Carrott?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Carrot Top top Carrott?

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:20 pm

F*ck me Brum are shite!

Still, win is a win, and there was a lot more verve and application to that!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Ream coming in for Moxey should help our defence out a bit and hopefully Lennon goes with Davies and Mason up front too, but I'm glad he's giving players a chance to prove themselves so I don't really mind him fiddling with the team for a few weeks until he finds out what he has and what he wants.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Lennony's nicked it. :D

And Paul Robinson amassed 400 yards of illegal territory on throw ins. Amazed neither the liners or ref noticed. Chungy/Lonergan M.O.T.M.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:30 pm

On the way back from Brum. Great atmosphere throughout from our lot, and a win we thoroughly deserved. Should have had two or three. Contrary to popular opinion, Moxey had a really good game, and was only taken off due to a knock, as evidenced by him having an ice bag strapped to his knee when he came over at full time. Chungy ran the show, and our defence looked solid. Pratley looked a little lost at left wing, but won a few headers and tried hard - don't think he'll be staying there though...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Stuck in traffic on the way back after an emotional roller coaster of a match. First thoughts are that iF Df had out that team out, he would have been slaughtered.

Spearing was immense today and we fought for every ball for ninety minutes. Cyl had the best game I've seen him have in a white shirt for a very long time. First half we looked a tad nervous at the back and we squandered several chances towards the end. Brum were dreadful and only threatened from long distance.

Great support throughout. Onwards and upwards.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Yeah, but if DF had put that team out, it'd probably have had a 25% swing in possession from us to them, have spent 50% of that possession idling the ball across the back four and got beat 3-0.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 pm

IMO today we played with a higher tempo & closed the opposition down today in their half for the 90 mins....NL set the team up much better and for once we actually played with passion & drive, and actually looked like a team instead of a bunch of lost individuals.

However even NL will struggle to improve some of these players....Beckford & Pratley in particular were awful, its like playing with 10 men with Pratley, he has to go. We still lack any goal threat from the forwards and C Davies penalty was an absolute disgrace, he should be ashamed of himself - total lack of composure & bottle.

CYL, Spearing & Lonergan played well, especially CYL who was excellent....and the defence also looked solid - Mjallby will get them much better organised.

Excellent 1st game for NL

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yeah, but if DF had put that team out, it'd probably have had a 25% swing in possession from us to them, have spent 50% of that possession idling the ball across the back four and got beat 3-0.
^^^ 3 individual errors would you think ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:08 pm

I am impressed. Not just for the win, but the fact that these same players didn't seem to know what to do with a football just two weeks ago, and yet here we are are, clean sheet and a win. There's room for improvement, pratley's still the same pratley and they need to be more clinical but i thought overall we were good for the 3 points. I also thought Moxey did well :shock: And we harassed to get the ball back and played with a higher tempo and Chungy....wow he was a different player today..my MOTM with lonergan a close second.

Well done Lennony and the boys : :oyea:

ratters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ratters » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Two mediocre teams but Bolton should have won by more. Some players just lack basic ability, particularly Pratley and Cravies. Back 4 solid and Chungy and Spearing controlled midfield. NL has even got Beckford chasing back and working harder rather than standing round waiting for the ball:-
Individual marks
Lonergan: 7: 2 good saves, one from Gray who looks an outstanding prospect for Blues
McNaughton:7: class player always seems to have time
Mills: 8: extra mark for goal but solid at the back
Dervite: 7: solid back 2
Moxey: 7: best game for Bolton. Ludicrous decision from ref when he was taken out and he gave it to Blues
Feeney: 6: OK but inconsistent
Chungy: 8: great game full of energy and skill
Danns: 6: OK but passing poor
Spearing: 9: played well, good tackling and leadership
Pratley:4: passing appalling but good in the air
Beckford: 7: an improvement and worked much harder for NL
Ream: 6: little to do but OK
Cravies: 4: not just the penalty but a later chance where his control was awful
Anyway, we are off the bottom and could be out of bottom 3 with a win at Charlton

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Yeah we did!
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:34 pm

ratters wrote:Anyway, we are off the bottom and could be out of bottom 3 with a win at Charlton
That last bit would take two new goalscorers and quite a swing in goal difference. :-)

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
ratters wrote:Anyway, we are off the bottom and could be out of bottom 3 with a win at Charlton
That last bit would take two new goalscorers and quite a swing in goal difference. :-)
Ratters is quietly confident :lol: 8) :wink:
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Explanation for NL being sent to the stands:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pfffft.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:56 pm

PASHUN!

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:03 pm

the season has now started !

game was Ok despite only odd flash of quality.

as mentioned, it made a change, seeing us closing down & getting stuck in, a bit higher up the pitch

I actually thought they deserved at least a point - lonergan made a number of good saves, not sure if their keeper had to make one - not even from a penalty :oops: but feck em, onward & upward

lonergan MOTM

onlywanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by onlywanderer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yeah, but if DF had put that team out, it'd probably have had a 25% swing in possession from us to them, have spent 50% of that possession idling the ball across the back four and got beat 3-0.
Also If DF puts that team out he has Pratley behind Beckford, Feeney on the Left, and chungy on the right for Mills to lump balls to. And we get beat 3-0

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 pm

The Trotters took the lead against the run of play when Mills nodded in, prompting Lennon to sprint down the touchline in celebration
Report on the BBC website. Really? Against the run of play? Must've been from Auntie's Birmingham Correspondent.

Anyhow, good to be only miffed at the quality of BBC reporting for a change.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
The Trotters took the lead against the run of play when Mills nodded in, prompting Lennon to sprint down the touchline in celebration
Report on the BBC website. Really? Against the run of play? Must've been from Auntie's Birmingham Correspondent.

Yeah I spotted that too. I wouldn't go as far as to say we were dominating but we were the only one who looked like a football team at that point! We probably regressed to their level in the last half hour as nerves and a lack of confidence played a part. We had so many 3 v 3s on the break second half and picked the wrong option every single time!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Yeah I spotted that too. I wouldn't go as far as to say we were dominating but we were the only one who looked like a football team at that point! We probably regressed to their level in the last half hour as nerves and a lack of confidence played a part. We had so many 3 v 3s on the break second half and picked the wrong option every single time!
aye - Lennony spotted that and mantioned it in his post match comments...