Will Carrot Top top Carrott?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Carrot Top top Carrott?

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 am

I think I have asked this before - but can't remember the answer (if there was one!) What does it actually mean in words that make sense, to say that, in the matter of taking penalties, Spearing is a more "technical" player than Cravies? It what way does Spearing differ as a penalty-taker to Cravies?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:58 am

By "technical" he means less likely for a rush of blood to the head when shooting. Less chance of shanking the penalty over the bar.
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:59 am

TKIZ! wrote:By "technical" he means less likely for a rush of blood to the head when shooting. Less chance of shanking the penalty over the bar.

so - "calm"? Why on earth should the word "technical" mean "calm" in football?? :conf:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:01 am

No idea, but it's sounds like he's was trying to keep Cravies mood up whilst at the same time telling him to calm the feck down
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 am

Cravies's penalty technique has always been along the lines of "hit it so hard, the keeper will go in too".

Spearing and Chungy are more likely to try and place the ball, outwit the keeper, things like that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 am

truewhite15 wrote:Cravies's penalty technique has always been along the lines of "hit it so hard, the keeper will go in too".

Spearing and Chungy are more likely to try and place the ball, outwit the keeper, things like that.
This is what I think he means also.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:18 am

Worthy4England wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:Cravies's penalty technique has always been along the lines of "hit it so hard, the keeper will go in too".

This is what I think he means also.
I didn't explain well but yeah that's what I was thinking
Pfffft.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:21 am

Who took the last penalty and missed? It wasn't that long ago was it or is my memory playing tricks?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:27 am

twilight wrote:Who took the last penalty and missed? It wasn't that long ago was it or is my memory playing tricks?
No tricks, it was Garvan.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:29 am

Haven't we missed the last two?
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 am

Yup.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:37 am

Worthy4England wrote:
twilight wrote:Who took the last penalty and missed? It wasn't that long ago was it or is my memory playing tricks?
No tricks, it was Garvan.
Ah yes Garvan, the newbie.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:37 am

To be fair to the non-technical Cravies he does have a good record. Maybe rush of blood time or even that he'd not long come on but I was surprised at the miss when it was him taking it. I guess it all gets sorted out in training and its been a busy week.

In the end no harm done ... thankfully.

Talking if training ... given that CYL has been away all week and only got in one day with the new boss when did they decide to play him in the middle ? Glad they did but just wondering where that idea came from.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 am

What I am trying to "get at" I think, is we haven't really got a settled penalty taker who you would think, with confidence, that they hit the net more often than they missed. Hopefully that will now be addressed

Ah sorry Bobo, didn't see your post

Doesn't CYL play there for his country?

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:44 am

Who the bleedin hell is Garvan?

I must have missed that particular transfer as I have no idea who he is! Plus I don't think Lennie has mentioned him in any of his twelve interviews so far.....

:conf:
Smarties have answers.....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:46 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Jugs wrote:Absolutely brilliant. So satisfied by this win and performance. I really like Lennon's quotes regarding the penalty, how he wanted Spearing to take it because he was a more technical player suited to that situation.

Ever since QPR at home last season, when Chungy played in the midfield, I've been asking for him to be played there again. He just isn't effective on the wing anymore. But Dougie, despite Chungy being influential against QPR in the middle, never tried it again.
Yeah ... "Dougie Out". Has he gone yet ... btw ?
Aye man. I was meant to add that it was refreshing to see Lennon stick him in the middle straight away.

He said afterwards, 'we need to get Chungy on the ball more in the final third. He's clearly a cut above the rest.'

He has a lot of technical talent does Chungy, just hasn't shown it too much in the last 2 years. A lot of fans have been on his back. Hopefully he can shine under Lennon.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:46 am

bobo the clown wrote:To be fair to the non-technical Cravies he does have a good record. Maybe rush of blood time or even that he'd not long come on but I was surprised at the miss when it was him taking it. I guess it all gets sorted out in training and its been a busy week.

In the end no harm done ... thankfully.

Talking if training ... given that CYL has been away all week and only got in one day with the new boss when did they decide to play him in the middle ? Glad they did but just wondering where that idea came from.
I think Cravies has scored his previous three. (BTW suspect 'more technical' is a euphemism for 'less of a lump head') My guess is the thought about getting Spearing to take it came from having an outfield player as goalie - i.e. last minute flexible thinking rather than lack of pre-planning.

Chung seems to play a more central role for his country (and is one of the few players we have who can hit those carefully weighted diagonal through balls that Beckford might thrive on). Maybe Lennon has watched videos of his players international matches this week?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 am

twilight wrote:What I am trying to "get at" I think, is we haven't really got a settled penalty taker who you would think, with confidence, that they hit the net more often than they missed.
I think you're right. But we've tinkered with the team that much, I'm not sure who you'd pick.

Probably wouldn't be Beckford. Feeney, Pratley and Danns all seemed to be out of the team as much as in it, from yesterday, so unless one of the defenders calmly slots them in the corner 48 times out of 50, you're left with the keeper, Chungy and Spearing.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am

Bench wrote:Who the bleedin hell is Garvan?

I must have missed that particular transfer as I have no idea who he is! Plus I don't think Lennie has mentioned him in any of his twelve interviews so far.....

:conf:
Well ... let's do this via the medium of multiple choice shall we ?

Garvan .... has he;
a. Worked for Freedman previously
b. Never worked for Freedman previously.
c. Who the feck is Freedman

Did he
a. Play for Crystal Palace
b. Play for Millwall

Did he
a. Appear to be a stranger to football
b. Show he would be the answer to all our prayers
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 am

My head would like to answer (c) for all questions.

Sadly, my heart tells me is (a)......
Smarties have answers.....