Nolan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Nolan

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:05 pm

“I’ve had a great playing career and, I know, if you ask most Bolton fans now who they would like to come back and lead them, I would be up there near the top. The same for Newcastle fans.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 01631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he'd still displace most of our midfield (other than maybe #Vela). Wonder if he's fishing....

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: Nolan

Post by nelson66 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:10 pm

West Ham fans are booing him, just like they've been booing Sam
They're 4th in the premier league - they must be deluded thinking that they've got there because they're a big club
Its down to BSA and the other ex wanderers who play for them
Retards :crazy:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
“I’ve had a great playing career and, I know, if you ask most Bolton fans now who they would like to come back and lead them, I would be up there near the top. The same for Newcastle fans.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 01631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he'd still displace most of our midfield (other than maybe #Vela). Wonder if he's fishing....
I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:32 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Him & Vela. Dream team.

I wonder if that is the early days of a "come and get me" ? He'd have to take a pay cut I'd estimate.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Doubt we'd be able to afford him, but I'd definitely have him back!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:41 pm

We'd need a decent striker for him to play off though.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Hmm, sounds to me like he's demonstrating why he should be given more respect by the West Ham fans. By pointing out how much he was/still is valued at Bolton and Newcastle, he's basically saying 'I'm not rubbish, everyone at my previous clubs love me, so stop jeering me.'

That said, I would definitely take him back. I'd loan out/sell Pratters to make room. England's best uncapped midfielder. He'd score a bagful at our level and would be another carrot to tempt fans back.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I'd have Nolan back in an absolute heartbeat.

However, it's interesting how absence makes the heart grow fonder. I remember quite a few on here ripping into Nolan after nearly every single game in the last couple of seasons before he eventually left us.

To be honest, when I read his quote at the top I was expecting this thread to be on a Nolan-bashing theme...... :oops:
Smarties have answers.....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Bench wrote:I'd have Nolan back in an absolute heartbeat.

However, it's interesting how absence makes the heart grow fonder. I remember quite a few on here ripping into Nolan after nearly every single game in the last couple of seasons before he eventually left us.

To be honest, when I read his quote at the top I was expecting this thread to be on a Nolan-bashing theme...... :oops:
He lost his mojo here and I recall writing that a move would do both him and the clubs (us & whoever he joined) good. I think still that this was correct.

I fully expect him to go into management after he packs it in ... & over time turn out to be bloody good at it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Nolan wouldn't get the greatest reception once he stepped out on the playing field. His game seems more lethargic and lacklustre than ever so no doubt he'd come under criticism if he played here. He was getting it prior to leaving, coming back wont change that.

In all honesty though i'd happily have him back. Was quality for us and so many happy memories.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:13 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Pfffft.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:33 am

Bench wrote:I'd have Nolan back in an absolute heartbeat.

He's a very limited player, his one quality is to score a disproportionate amount of goals from midfield, when he isn't doing that, he's no value in any team, as was the case his last 18 months at Bolton.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:58 am

Not sure I'd join the come-back-Nolly bandwagon... all the "ask newcastle and bolton, they'd love me as captain again" stuff sounds like the same old billy-big-bollocks bollocks to me - and I don't think we need that in the dressing room as Lennony builds something new...

he's had his time at Bolton - most of those years he was FANTASTIC... let's leave it at that, eh?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 am

The Bish is probably right.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am

He's a one position player. And in his time/on his day one of the very best in English football in that role. Unfortunately, his lack of mobility up and down the pitch means, when he isn't getting into the box and scoring goals, the game often passes him by.

He was great for us, but then faded. He's been great for West Ham (who surely would have been back among the dead men of the Championship without him).

His day may now have passed. Shame. Hope he moves into coaching before getting too much stick. Wouldn't want him back here unless we had others to do the running for him and used him as a goal-poaching sub.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 am

Jugs wrote:The Bish is probably right.
Of course .... but would even his Holiness turn him away if he arrived at Euxton on Monday ?

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:05 am

Jugs wrote:The Bish is probably right.
Sadly, thebish is probably on the right track.

Curse his well thought out, well argued and reasonable point making......

:whack:
Smarties have answers.....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:23 am

Nah, he'd walk into our team. I agree 100% with Bobo, he needed to leave and the change was good for both clubs. Since then he's got a lot nearer to the player he was for us when pushing the England squad. Scored goals at Newcastle and West Ham both in the Championship and the Premier League. He's a weird one in that he has to play in that 'off-the-striker' role, and it's a role Mr Snicket seems to fancy Chungy in, but at this level I'm convinced he'd still get a shit-ton. Plus he's a fecking winner, and we don't have enough of those sort of characters.

I understand people's wariness, and I get Bish's point, but for all our improvement yesterday, we still started with Darren Pratley. Nolan or Pratley? Or Trotter? Or even Danns? Or Moritz last year?

Imagine he'd have to take a pretty hefty pay-cut, but I'd be a 'yes'!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:28 am

Prufrock wrote:Nah, he'd walk into our team. I agree 100% with Bobo, he needed to leave and the change was good for both clubs. Since then he's got a lot nearer to the player he was for us when pushing the England squad. Scored goals at Newcastle and West Ham both in the Championship and the Premier League. He's a weird one in that he has to play in that 'off-the-striker' role, and it's a role Mr Snicket seems to fancy Chungy in, but at this level I'm convinced he'd still get a shit-ton. Plus he's a fecking winner, and we don't have enough of those sort of characters.

I understand people's wariness, and I get Bish's point, but for all our improvement yesterday, we still started with Darren Pratley. Nolan or Pratley? Or Trotter? Or even Danns? Or Moritz last year?

Nail-head!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 am

Prufrock wrote:Nah, he'd walk into our team. I agree 100% with Bobo, he needed to leave and the change was good for both clubs. Since then he's got a lot nearer to the player he was for us when pushing the England squad. Scored goals at Newcastle and West Ham both in the Championship and the Premier League. He's a weird one in that he has to play in that 'off-the-striker' role, and it's a role Mr Snicket seems to fancy Chungy in, but at this level I'm convinced he'd still get a shit-ton. Plus he's a fecking winner, and we don't have enough of those sort of characters.

Agree with this. It almost certainly wouldn't happen as he's on a reputed £55k per week.