Who ate all the pies?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Who ate all the pies?

Post by Sponge » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Is this getting us anywhere ? Really ??
No, probably not Bobo. That's my lot.

Mine too. But just to say – no, I wasn't equating him with your average British soldier; I'm sure most are decent. But you explicitly said "there was never a British soldier who fired a shot in anger outside of a political order", which is clearly untrue and an exaggeration. But anyway. I know what you mean. The end. Craig Davies is awesome.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Hope we can wheel out a "Supa Craig Davies" chant sometime soon? May have to dust off the now non-ironic "Ginger Mourinho" as well :lol:
Pfffft.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

I can't stand Mourinho and will never sing a song comparing my new personal hero to him. Let's leave that one with Megson in the anals of history.

Ps Deliberate mis-spelling!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:37 pm

And Cravies is rivaling Danns now as my favourite player.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:46 pm

LeverEnd wrote:And Cravies is rivaling Danns now as my favourite player.
Love Danns's tenacity, effort and enthusiasm (and no small skills) . This lad was a good aquisition for the club.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Yup danns is a fairly rounded player. Seems to have about of everything in his locker
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:11 pm

danns has been one of my favourite players ever since he first came in on loan. remember reading the leicester fans laughing and saying how glad they were that they were getting rid of him. well i say their loss is our gain. he's a great player. also think craig davies works hard and i was happy he got his goal, love players who give their all during the game...it's all i ask of a player

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:19 pm

A capable, if inconsistent player. But honest and hard working. They can't all be Fabregas but you always respect honesty.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:46 am

Great performance by the team, I thought Craig Davies was outstanding, his work rate and quality set the tone for the rest of the team.
I've got that strange feeling of optimism back again.

On the issue of James McClean, yes his reason not to wear the poppy is understandable but he mentions he respects the soldiers of WW1 and WW2, does he not respect the soldiers who were murdered by paramilitaries in Northern Ireland ? It's also ironic that he's seen in pictures to be wearing the Easter Lily (Militant republican symbol equivalent to the poppy) which Sinn Fein have been using over the past 30 years to remember members of the Provisional IRA, I don't buy into his open letter, Martin O'Neill although not born in Derry, grew up there and hasn't the same problem, there's more to it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 am

Can I politely suggest the (lively, interesting) poppy debate hives off into General Banter and we keep this thread for the fitba?

Kudos to Neil Lennon for making the best of Freedman's lost boy Cravies. Just as Freedman rejuvenated dodgy Coyle signings Ream and Mills. Funny how things go, with players responding better for new managers than the bloke that signed them. Speaking of which, when we were 3-0 up and cruising, I was hoping to see Rob Hall come on - if NL can start to coax performances out of him, it might save us a transfer search. I was also hoping to see Beckford brought on to join in the fun; he might have benefited from playing a tiring defence in a game we were winning easily.

Oh and:
Sponge wrote:Chungy's pass for Clayton brought a tear to my ear. A fricking masterpiece.
You might wanna see the doctor, Spongey! :D

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:20 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Can I politely suggest the (lively, interesting) poppy debate hives off into General Banter and we keep this thread for the fitba?

Kudos to Neil Lennon for making the best of Freedman's lost boy Cravies. Just as Freedman rejuvenated dodgy Coyle signings Ream and Mills. Funny how things go, with players responding better for new managers than the bloke that signed them. Speaking of which, when we were 3-0 up and cruising, I was hoping to see Rob Hall come on - if NL can start to coax performances out of him, it might save us a transfer search. I was also hoping to see Beckford brought on to join in the fun; he might have benefited from playing a tiring defence in a game we were winning easily.

Oh and:
Sponge wrote:Chungy's pass for Clayton brought a tear to my ear. A fricking masterpiece.
Seriously???? I think we've seen enough of him to know that he doesn't even deserve to be on the bench

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Can I politely suggest the (lively, interesting) poppy debate hives off into General Banter and we keep this thread for the fitba?

Oh and:
Seriously???? I think we've seen enough of him to know that he doesn't even deserve to be on the bench
don't really agree with your mills & ream comment dsb. My memory is that both players had been chucked into the discard bin by freedman and if there had been any takers they would have gone. You could credit freedman for changing his mind and the players for doing whatever it was that made him do that (assuming it wasn't just the bingo selection machine). However given I don't think he should be given credit for anything, other than preventing us being competitive in this league, serving up bilge and creating unhappiness within the club and amongst the fans - he can feck right off.

But as you say, its one of footballs mysteries and fascinations as to how different managers and players see things, interact and impact on each other. I tend to the view that you don't get to be a professional footballer without having something about you - whether you are given the opportunity, played in the right position, in the right system etc etc, are all major calls made by your manager, but ultimately have a big say in how you end up being judged.

How many of those people on here who called for us to be shot of chungy are still saying that, how many called for him to be played in the middle ...?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I remember when a load of people wanted to bury Chungy under the patio so we could sign that Chris Burke from Birmingham.. People were going mad when we 'let him' go to Forest
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:11 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:don't really agree with your mills & ream comment dsb. My memory is that both players had been chucked into the discard bin by freedman and if there had been any takers they would have gone.

However given I don't think he should be given credit for anything, other than preventing us being competitive in this league, serving up bilge and creating unhappiness within the club and amongst the fans - he can feck right off.

How many of those people on here who called for us to be shot of chungy are still saying that
Is correct. He was touting both of them endlessly, near forcing Mills to go to Leeds.

Chungy, I honestly thought he'd lost it with us and I think I said on here that to get his mojo back he'd probably have to leave and that would be the best for all parties. It seems he just needed loving.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:03 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Kudos to Neil Lennon for making the best of Freedman's lost boy Cravies. Just as Freedman rejuvenated dodgy Coyle signings Ream and Mills. Funny how things go, with players responding better for new managers than the bloke that signed them. Speaking of which, when we were 3-0 up and cruising, I was hoping to see Rob Hall come on - if NL can start to coax performances out of him, it might save us a transfer search. I was also hoping to see Beckford brought on to join in the fun; he might have benefited from playing a tiring defence in a game we were winning easily.
don't really agree with your mills & ream comment dsb. My memory is that both players had been chucked into the discard bin by freedman and if there had been any takers they would have gone. You could credit freedman for changing his mind and the players for doing whatever it was that made him do that (assuming it wasn't just the bingo selection machine). However given I don't think he should be given credit for anything, other than preventing us being competitive in this league, serving up bilge and creating unhappiness within the club and amongst the fans - he can feck right off.
Yep, Freedman definitely wanted shut of Mills & Ream, as high earners. But when he couldn't, and was financially forced into turd-polishing, he got better performances from them than Coyle ever did. 'sall I'm saying.

As for Beckford, instead of paying him to sit in the stand (which he isn't: he was on the bench) why not try to coax a performance out of him? Lennon has resuscitated other players, and let's not forget that Beckford was our top scorer last season. He's never going to be a line-leader in a one-up-top but there are goals in him. If he can be the guy to turn 1-0 into 2-0 then that's fine by me - better than paying him to waste away.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Kudos to Neil Lennon for making the best of Freedman's lost boy Cravies. Just as Freedman rejuvenated dodgy Coyle signings Ream and Mills. Funny how things go, with players responding better for new managers than the bloke that signed them. Speaking of which, when we were 3-0 up and cruising, I was hoping to see Rob Hall come on - if NL can start to coax performances out of him, it might save us a transfer search. I was also hoping to see Beckford brought on to join in the fun; he might have benefited from playing a tiring defence in a game we were winning easily.
Yep, Freedman definitely wanted shut of Mills & Ream, as high earners. But when he couldn't, and was financially forced into turd-polishing, he got better performances from them than Coyle ever did. 'sall I'm saying.

As for Beckford, instead of paying him to sit in the stand (which he isn't: he was on the bench) why not try to coax a performance out of him? Lennon has resuscitated other players, and let's not forget that Beckford was our top scorer last season. He's never going to be a line-leader in a one-up-top but there are goals in him. If he can be the guy to turn 1-0 into 2-0 then that's fine by me - better than paying him to waste away.
might give you a little bit on ream, given rather strangely he got player awards, but not sure Mills played much under coyle - wasn't he injured early on and by time he was fit coyle had gone

You've raised the whole question of the basis for freedmans player judgement and erred toward the they were too expensive rather than he didn't rate them & then talk about how you'd use your 'expensive' player rather than have them sit on the bench/ stands. I'd also do that, unless I either didn't rate them or I was trying to constructively dismiss the player & 'encourage' them to go. It will always be one of the mysteries of freedmans tenure as to why so many of our 'expensive' earners (who I think had ability) were sat in the stands & in effect double punishing the club.

Completeley agree about beckford - there is a player in there, but it seems like he needs a certain kind of system/ service in order to perform. Whether NL is willing to set the team up to deliver that is the question - I get the feeling it will be an option but not the default.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Freedman was certainly forced into fielding Mills/Ream, he'd much rather have sold/loaned them to cut the wage bill, let's not forget we couldn't afford to outdo Barnsley for Peter Ramage. But of course you're (also) right that he ostracised high earners if he had alternatives - I guess we'll never know how much we paid in ghost-wages to Eagles, Mears, Andrews, Baptiste...

Beckford: Certainly, certainly an option rather than default: Cravies has earned the spot for the foreseeable. For the record, I'm not sure it would work with Beckford, but I'd say 3-0 up and crushing somebody is a good time to bring on a striker badly in need of a goal who's sat on the bench behind you. Would also do the classic thing of giving Cravies a standing-ovation exit - and the last thing you say to the guy coming on is "Want one of those? Go earn it..."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:15 pm

On another note, I wondered on here when we'd last scored 3 in 3 successive home league games. Been having a quick look. We ended 96/97 with 7, 4, 2, 4 & 4, which wasn't bad, but doesn't quite fulfil the remit. I've been back as far as 1994 (in this division) and can't find an example. Anyone help?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:On another note, I wondered on here when we'd last scored 3 in 3 successive home league games. Been having a quick look. We ended 96/97 with 7, 4, 2, 4 & 4, which wasn't bad, but doesn't quite fulfil the remit. I've been back as far as 1994 (in this division) and can't find an example. Anyone help?
Not entirely sure, but 1996/7, didn't we go 12th April 4-0 (Oxford), 25th April 4-1 (Charlton), 8th May 7-0 (Swindon)?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:On another note, I wondered on here when we'd last scored 3 in 3 successive home league games. Been having a quick look. We ended 96/97 with 7, 4, 2, 4 & 4, which wasn't bad, but doesn't quite fulfil the remit. I've been back as far as 1994 (in this division) and can't find an example. Anyone help?
Not entirely sure, but 1996/7, didn't we go 12th April 4-0 (Oxford), 25th April 4-1 (Charlton), 8th May 7-0 (Swindon)?
According to Bolton-Mad we scored plenty during that period but not 3 home games on the trot. We only beat QPR 2-1.

Sat 08 Mar 1997 SWINDON TOWN W 7-0

Tue 18 Mar 1997 PORT VALE W 4-2

Sat 05 Apr 1997 QUEENS PARK RANGERS W 2-1

Sat 12 Apr 1997 OXFORD UNITED W 4-0

Fri 25 Apr 1997 CHARLTON ATHLETIC W 4-1

http://www.boltonwanderers-mad.co.uk/re ... ndex.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.