Interview with Paul Jones

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

My Time In Football
Hopeful
Hopeful

Interview with Paul Jones

Post by My Time In Football » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Evening everyone,

Not posted on here before but we've uploaded an interview with Paul Jones who spoke to us at length about his time at Bolton throughout the 70s and early 80s. Thought it might interest a few on here.

The interview can be found here: http://www.mytimeinfootball.com/Paul_Jones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any Bolton fans on here who use Facebook or Twitter, I'd be really grateful if you could share the interview so other Bolton fans can read it.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mytimeinfootball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/timeinfootball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got a few more ex-Bolton players to upload to the website over the next couple of weeks so please feel free to keep in touch with us on Facebook/Twitter and you'll know every time we put a Bolton interview up.

Cheers,
My Time In Football

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Interview with Paul Jones

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:14 pm

First the negatives:

- the stats pics are almost unreadable on iPad. Maybe different on PC but not good to look at.

- you've got a tag called 'pages with broken links'? :/

Other than that...what a great read. Sad to read he hates bolton now. Is that common knowledge, elder statesmen? Also, saying united bolton is bigger than united city is a bit of a stretch these days.

Either way it's honest, personal and has more than enough personality, and it's a good read because of it. Thanks!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Interesting read, but he comes across as a bit of a cock, and a rather bitter one at that.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

That's why I like it. Certainly isn't sterile!

My Time In Football
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by My Time In Football » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Apologies for some of the aesthetics, we're still working on some of the stuff behind the scenes so it should all be ironed out over the next week or so.

Glad you enjoyed the content though.

Paul does have a soft spot for Bolton, especially the fans, as it was the majority of his career. I just think it's a sore point playing for Bolton for thirteen years and they kind of told him "ta-ra" at the end when he got injured.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:44 pm

My Time In Football wrote:Apologies for some of the aesthetics, we're still working on some of the stuff behind the scenes so it should all be ironed out over the next week or so.

Paul does have a soft spot for Bolton, especially the fans, as it was the majority of his career. I just think it's a sore point playing for Bolton for thirteen years and they kind of told him "ta-ra" at the end when he got injured.

No worries. Press day for my mag today so have been looking for stuff like that for the best part of 12 hours...beers in hand though now, so all is good.

Must say paul was before my time as human, never mind a fan. Will have to defer to the elder patrons as to whether what is represented is fact or fiction but I enjoyed it as a read.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:50 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
My Time In Football wrote:Apologies for some of the aesthetics, we're still working on some of the stuff behind the scenes so it should all be ironed out over the next week or so.

No worries. Press day for my mag today so have been looking for stuff like that for the best part of 12 hours...beers in hand though now, so all is good.

Must say paul was before my time as human, never mind a fan. Will have to defer to the elder patrons as to whether what is represented is fact or fiction but I enjoyed it as a read.
Paul Jones was a tremendous defender. And he and Allardyce an outstanding partnership.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Interesting read, but he comes across as a bit of a cock, and a rather bitter one at that.
Harsh

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Sad really. There's a terrible immaturity showing there. A desperate need to appear blasé and matter of fact. It's sad if he left on crutches with no word of thanks but ny memory was that he'd been injured a great deal and his contract wasn't renewed at a time we were soooo broke we were letting all sorts of players go for next to nothing.

He was a superb player though and deserved better. I'll try to remember that, rather than the bitter, immature person coming through there.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Enjoyed that, don't think it's half as bitter as is being made out. It's a pub conversation, says so at the top, so it's bound to be a bit loud. We're also (too) used to airbrushed non-quotes from PR-trained brain-drains.

Otherwise, an intriguing site. Couple of design suggestions (beside get a nicer font and scrap the predictable "grass" background): The column measure is maybe 20% too wide for the point size - rule of thumb in print always used to be 16-18 words wide, and although some studies claim you can go wider online you don't want to tire people's eyes.

In the same vein, add more paragraph breaks; for instance, the "favourite game" answer could be split after "Man of the Match" and "because of the atmosphere". Make it easier for people to read. Speaking of which, add pics and boxouts - the player's clubs/games, perhaps, or a good old-fashioned pull-quote.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Enjoyed that, don't think it's half as bitter as is being made out. It's a pub conversation, says so at the top, so it's bound to be a bit loud. We're also (too) used to airbrushed non-quotes from PR-trained brain-drains.

Otherwise, an intriguing site. Couple of design suggestions (beside get a nicer font and scrap the predictable "grass" background): The column measure is maybe 20% too wide for the point size - rule of thumb in print always used to be 16-18 words wide, and although some studies claim you can go wider online you don't want to tire people's eyes.

In the same vein, add more paragraph breaks; for instance, the "favourite game" answer could be split after "Man of the Match" and "because of the atmosphere". Make it easier for people to read. Speaking of which, add pics and boxouts - the player's clubs/games, perhaps, or a good old-fashioned pull-quote.
You should charge for that advice DSB
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:32 pm

If I wanted to win money or kudos, I'm in precisely the wrong career

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:14 pm

was one of fave players of my teens - good footballing centre half

he and dave hoggan (remember him) came along to support our tinpot sunday football teams disco (upstairs at the swan I think) & both of them were a good laugh - as he says different times.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:24 pm

I know he was a good un but I was probably too young to appreciate him at the time. As Bobo said, we released him at a time we were giving everyone away for practically nowt, so it shouldn't have come as a big shock. I was surprised though that his career lasted as long as it did.

I assume the beer must have addled his brain though. "We always won at Old Trafford" - we won there once during his time and Ted McDougall wasn't in their side that day!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I know he was a good un but I was probably too young to appreciate him at the time. As Bobo said, we released him at a time we were giving everyone away for practically nowt, so it shouldn't have come as a big shock. I was surprised though that his career lasted as long as it did.

I assume the beer must have addled his brain though. "We always won at Old Trafford" - we won there once during his time and Ted McDougall wasn't in their side that day!
It was one out of two, to be fair !!

He played against McDougal when he was with Southampton (could have been Bournemouth) he was the much vaunted up & coming next big thing and Jones made a fool of him. It was in the days when offside was offside. No second phase, or interfering with play bllx. He kept stepping out & having McD offside so many times it became laughable. He must have been caught at least 25 times.

I learnt that trick and wouldn't have coped with today's flim-flam.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Used to live in my street when I lived in Bolton. I was a bit young to know who he was
Pfffft.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:26 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Used to live in my street when I lived in Bolton. I was a bit young to know who he was
Do you mean the little lane at the bottom of Oakenbottom Road that goes over the bridge to Tong Fold? I lived in Lever Hall Road for years and my dad pointed out Jonah's house to me. Is that the one - or was my dad bull shXttXng me?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Didn't Allardyce live down Oakenbottom Road too, or am I getting befuddled again?

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Yes Paul Jones and Sam Allardyce were are formidable pair.
(so were Jones and Don McAllister before that)

At that time (post Bobby Moore) the country had a taste for "Footballing Centre halves"
Particularly McFarland and Todd ( as players not managers)
And Paul Jones was truly a Footballing Centre Half

I have always preferred defenders who defend - hence Allardyce was my man.

One of my favourite moments was at Stoke, mid 70's.
Garth Crooks elbows had made a mess of Paul Jones in the first half.

So second half they swapped, and Sam took Crooks, and Paul Jones took the other forward (O'Callaghan?)

Crooks made the mistake of trying to kill time by putting his foot on the ball by the corner flag- about 5 yards in front of me.

Cue Big Sam taking ball, Crooks and corner flag in one fell swoop. Beautiful.

Time heals most things = evidently not his relationship with BWFC - and that's a shame
What goes around may still come around

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Used to live in my street when I lived in Bolton. I was a bit young to know who he was
Do you mean the little lane at the bottom of Oakenbottom Road that goes over the bridge to Tong Fold? I lived in Lever Hall Road for years and my dad pointed out Jonah's house to me. Is that the one - or was my dad bull shXttXng me?
I do! Fudge. I might know you, when did you live in Lever Hall Rd?
Pfffft.