Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Post by clapton is god » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:17 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
TFF wrote:Alain Traoré is known in France for having blistering starts to the season, then spending the rest of the time not being bothered and/or injured, so he might not be the man to propel us into the play-offs. He's a top long-distance shooter and free-kick taker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1g0xpdWl_k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good left foot. that free kick at 2.50 ish is JayJay esque
Gone to Monaco instead. Can't think why.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2015/02 ... -round-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:41 am

The blog that's posted on seems incredulous that he managed to pass the medical. That was a lucky escape then.
Pfffft.

Wrighty92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wrighty92 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:09 am

What do people reckon we still need then?

Squad-wise I'm fairly happy atm and think we have nice variety, especially when some of our injured players return.

Goalkeepers -

Lonergan
Bogdan (Amos until Boggers is back)

Pretty happy with that, both keepers could easily be number one at any other club at this level

Defenders -

McNaughton
Moxey
Ream
Mills
Dervite
Wheater
Kellett
Threlkeld

Matt Mills has been excellent, as have Dervite and Ream under Lennon imo. Wheater also done well when called upon. I think McNaughton still has a role to play personally and the others can all fill in when required, along with Josh Vela who can also slot into that full back role well enough

Central midfielders

Trotter
Danns
Pratley
Vela
Chungy (for the CAM role)
Rochinha
-----
Mavies

Perhaps need a new CM, especially with Pratley's hamstring injury yesterday. Mavies is mentioned but unreliable due to his injury record tbh, delighted to see Vela making the first team now though.

Wide players

Chungy
Feeney
Hall
Clayton

Perhaps an area we need to add to if we're going to become more versatile... we're a bit predictable with the regular picking of the same line up and the fact that most of our strength comes through the middle. Maybe a winger on loan from somewhere would be a nice deadline day deal for Lennon. I know Clayton is a striker/Wide man but he played predominantly wide this season and his injury makes him more of an option for next season anyway really

Attack

Heskey
Eidur
Clough
Glenville
Cravies
------
Wilkinson

Strikers-wise, I think we're doing ok provided people stay fit and we're not relying on our resident pensioners to do all the running week in week out. Nice mix with Clough's youthful exuberance and budding talent, Le Fondre's well-known ability to find space where there is none and knock a goal in (especially as a super sub), Cravies' all round strength and power game and then the mix that Eidur and Heskey give us for technique (Eidur) and ability to hold the ball up (Heskey)

So in reality, what do people think we need? With an eye on next season, I'd say it would be nice to get a bit more into the midfield and perhaps look for a more permanent option to rotate with Clough and Cravies up top... as for now, getting Chungy and Mavies back on the pitch would make a big difference but I feel a new wide man would help things for sure

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 am

This a personal thing but I think we're lacking three players. A Centre Midfielder (cover for now injured Pratters), A left winger (cover for an injured Pratters, who seems adept at playing out there) and another CF

All this is purely my own opinion on the side we have at the moment
Pfffft.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:33 am

TKIZ! wrote:This a personal thing but I think we're lacking three players. A Centre Midfielder (cover for now injured Pratters), A left winger (cover for an injured Pratters, who seems adept at playing out there) and another CF

Agree with this & also in that order should we only be able to bring in 2 out of 3.

We certainly need some quality & pace in midfield and out wide when going forward, yesterday (just in my personal opinion) in an attacking sense Danns was poor & Feeney shocking - they were both ok keeping the ball on the half way line and passing backwards every 2 mins but going forward both IMO didn't contribute and the gap between the midfield and Le Fondre was vast in the 2nd half once Clough had gone off.

I don't think Danns & Feeney are good enough or consistent enough at this level.

The midfield for most of the game rarely got forward to support Clough & Le Fondre - even when Pratley was on (who looked to be playing in a wider role than previous games) again this is only my opinion with my lack of football knowledge.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:41 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:This a personal thing but I think we're lacking three players. A Centre Midfielder (cover for now injured Pratters), A left winger (cover for an injured Pratters, who seems adept at playing out there) and another CF

Agree with this & also in that order should we only be able to bring in 2 out of 3.

We certainly need some quality & pace in midfield and out wide when going forward, yesterday (just in my personal opinion) in an attacking sense Danns was poor & Feeney shocking - they were both ok keeping the ball on the half way line and passing backwards every 2 mins but going forward both IMO didn't contribute and the gap between the midfield and Le Fondre was vast in the 2nd half once Clough had gone off.

I don't think Danns & Feeney are good enough or consistent enough at this level.

The midfield for most of the game rarely got forward to support Clough & Le Fondre - even when Pratley was on (who looked to be playing in a wider role than previous games) again this is only my opinion with my lack of football knowledge.
I think Danns' role in the side is to sit in front of the back four so could be an explanation to him not going to far beyond the half way line. Think Feeney does ok, bit limited but he tries and has a fair turn of pace. Noted a couple of times yesterday he blitzed past his defender and whipped the ball in, just struggled to get heads on them in the box. Pratters was definitely playing a wider left midfield role and seemed to be making headway against their defence.
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Given this was the January Transfer Thread, can we close it now, just on the off chance someone can get us a signing tomorrow? :-) I have to say, it's been an absolute delight. :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:30 pm

You're not asking for a Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys-February Transfer Thread......are you?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm in agreement with Wrighty92's post. Lennons done wonders with what he has at his disposal. Perhaps we should spend any spare cash on a new physio or a rehabilitation centre!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:You're not asking for a Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys-February Transfer Thread......are you?
Not quite what I had in mind. No. ;-)

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:06 am

Daily Mail reporting fee nearly agreed for Chungy of 1m with Palace. Gutted if he goes but at least Clough can play there
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:07 am

TKIZ! wrote:Daily Mail reporting fee nearly agreed for Chungy of 1m with Palace. Gutted if he goes but at least Clough can play there
This is Bob's thread, if we get our skates on, we might be able to unload Clough to someone too!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:53 am

Wrighty92 wrote:What do people reckon we still need then?

Squad-wise I'm fairly happy atm and think we have nice variety, especially when some of our injured players return.

Goalkeepers -

Lonergan
Bogdan (Amos until Boggers is back)

Pretty happy with that, both keepers could easily be number one at any other club at this level

Defenders -

McNaughton
Moxey
Ream
Mills
Dervite
Wheater
Kellett
Threlkeld

Matt Mills has been excellent, as have Dervite and Ream under Lennon imo. Wheater also done well when called upon. I think McNaughton still has a role to play personally and the others can all fill in when required, along with Josh Vela who can also slot into that full back role well enough

Central midfielders

Trotter
Danns
Pratley
Vela
Chungy (for the CAM role)
Rochinha
-----
Mavies

Perhaps need a new CM, especially with Pratley's hamstring injury yesterday. Mavies is mentioned but unreliable due to his injury record tbh, delighted to see Vela making the first team now though.

Wide players

Chungy
Feeney
Hall
Clayton

Perhaps an area we need to add to if we're going to become more versatile... we're a bit predictable with the regular picking of the same line up and the fact that most of our strength comes through the middle. Maybe a winger on loan from somewhere would be a nice deadline day deal for Lennon. I know Clayton is a striker/Wide man but he played predominantly wide this season and his injury makes him more of an option for next season anyway really

Attack

Heskey
Eidur
Clough
Glenville
Cravies
------
Wilkinson

Strikers-wise, I think we're doing ok provided people stay fit and we're not relying on our resident pensioners to do all the running week in week out. Nice mix with Clough's youthful exuberance and budding talent, Le Fondre's well-known ability to find space where there is none and knock a goal in (especially as a super sub), Cravies' all round strength and power game and then the mix that Eidur and Heskey give us for technique (Eidur) and ability to hold the ball up (Heskey)

So in reality, what do people think we need? With an eye on next season, I'd say it would be nice to get a bit more into the midfield and perhaps look for a more permanent option to rotate with Clough and Cravies up top... as for now, getting Chungy and Mavies back on the pitch would make a big difference but I feel a new wide man would help things for sure
If you think the squad will look anything like that next season then,

Lennon won't be here,

Break out the bunting for Freedman's return after slashing Forrest's wage bill (along with league position)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:02 am

Apparently we need Chungy to go so that we can bring some players in.

If he is going, then the earlier today the better so we have longer to negotiate deals.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:21 am

Nicko says...Bolton trying to close a deal for Sporting Lisbon's young Bulgarian midfielder Simeon Slavchiv. Come in to complete a loan deal.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:29 am

jmjhb wrote:Nicko says...Bolton trying to close a deal for Sporting Lisbon's young Bulgarian midfielder Simeon Slavchiv. Come in to complete a loan deal.
quick search revealed an article dated dec 2013
Aston Villa have been linked with energetic midfielder Simeon Slavchev, who has been dubbed the ‘Bulgarian Lampard’

It is no surprise the 6ft 1in, 20-year-old has been compared to England and Chelsea star Frank Lampard as he loves to press forward and support his attack at Litex Lovech.

Slavchev has been successful in causing mayhem in the opposition penalty area this term he has scored 14 goals in 22 appearances for his club this season.

West Ham, Fulham and QPR are also interested but Villa may emerge on top in any transfer scramble thanks to their association with fan favourite Stiliyan Petrov, who is also from Bulgaria.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:57 am

The Sun has us linked with a 250k bid for Rangers midfielder Nicky Law
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:01 am

TKIZ! wrote:Daily Mail reporting fee nearly agreed for Chungy of 1m with Palace. Gutted if he goes but at least Clough can play there
£1million?? blimey - couple of weeks ago it was £1.5mil with add-ons!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 am

Meanwhile....N.L expected a busy day of ins and outs. Marc Iles seems to think the same. So far, nada.....

Amended.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:03 pm

What's Neil reckon though?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.