Why bother?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Why bother?

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I like to log on to here to read reports from people who've been to the away matches that I can't make and read what people think about different players etc.

I know this is the internet and everyone's entitled to their own opinion but for God's sake, I can't see why a lot of people on here bother.

We're a mid to lower table team at the moment. I accept that, I feel Lennon will need some backing financially, but I think we're looking a million times better than we did under that last pillock. I drive from Crewe to Bolton for all the home games so I'm sometimes a bit more critical than some because I've an hour's drive away from drowning my sorrows...

I take the highs and the lows, hopefully under Lennon there'll be a few more highs. I'm not a happy clapper, I've watched us when we were brilliant and when we were absolutely crap so I think I've got a reasonably balanced opinion.

Really though, reading some people's comments on here, why do you bother with BWFC at all? We lost last night with a final roll of the dice from a team that's well above us. Over the season, we pasted them at home and we lost to a scabby last minute goal with half a team of strangers. i don't think that's bad considering where we were earlier on in the season.

Reading the way people moan, I just can't see what enjoyment you get from this site and "supporting" BWFC.

I've noticed a lot of the biggest moaners live nowhere near anywhere that you could commute to the ground so go off what they've heard on the radio or seen on telly.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but if it's that bad at the moment, just leave it alone and read a book or something and quite frankly, it's pretty boring to hear people moaning all the time.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Why bother?

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Name some names, go on let's make this interesting.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:44 pm

jaffka wrote:Name some names, go on let's make this interesting.
Look at the "Remaining Fixtures" thread...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Moaning is therapeutic. :-) My take (as someone who posted on the "remaining fixtures" thread.

I think most people recognize that it's been really tough with injuries and that it's even tougher on cash to spend and has been for a while. Clearly Freedman wasn't working and had to go, the football was so boring, it's not surprising that folks moaned about it. Lennon got the plaudits when he came in, quite rightly, but we haven't looked as organized (to me) since Christmas and managed to ship four goals quite a lot. Clearly, in the last couple of games, that's changed - and it's startlingly obvious that it's changed - might not be winning them all, but we've managed to stop four going in every week.

Might be an age thing, but moaning is a wonderful form of enjoyment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Personally, I can't think of anything more boring than being a Barcelona, Real Madrid, United or Liverpool fan. Who wants to win every week, every season? I've been cheering and moaning about Bolton for over 65 years and hope I've still got a few years left. If Bolton ever folded as a club, and you can take this as absolute gospel, I'd take up watching cricket full time. Moaning about the Whites beats all the other forms of sport hands down. Fact. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Personally I have been to every away game this season and have loved it, don't get me wrong I was annoyed when we conceded last night, but you ncan't let it spoil a good day out.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:38 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Personally I have been to every away game this season and have loved it, don't get me wrong I was annoyed when we conceded last night, but you ncan't let it spoil a good day out.
Were you in the fernhurst?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
We'll have to create a N Staffs/ S Cheshire outpost Andy. But back to the point I think the match thread would be a better signpost for examples. Must admit I find it all a bit strange, when people post during games that they are not at, to vent and react to goals etc that the players, the manager are shit etc, but then again I usually find it strange for supporters to do the same kind of thing vocally when they are actually at the match. I wouldn't ask why bother though, I'm glad they bother, just wish they'd turn up and use that bother, to better, more positive effect

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:Must admit I find it all a bit strange, when people post during games that they are not at, to vent and react to goals etc
Personally, I do but relate commentary for the benefit of those with no match source. It sure won't bother me not to post at all and just listen.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:Must admit I find it all a bit strange, when people post during games that they are not at, to vent and react to goals etc
Personally, I do but relate commentary for the benefit of those with no match source. It sure won't bother me not to post at all and just listen.

you carry on posting during matches Tango - it's a perfectly ordinary and reasonable and natural thing to do!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't think that was a pop at your invaluable service, TD.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Crack on TD. You give us up to the date commentary and expert insight. And thanks for all you do. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:44 pm

It's a good question . I take an interest because I always have . I think if you're taken to games when you're a kid it never leaves you. Formative years stuff like the best music being from your teens . I rarely get to games but follow what I can .
If you want to be really logical the idea of a forum or even discussing football is a waste of time . You have no impact and its an irrevant interest no different to people talking about soap operas . However having opinions about things we have no impact on seems to be important somehow even if it makes no sense and we all share a sense of belonging in the attachment to the club .

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't think that was a pop at your invaluable service, TD.
correctomundo.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:31 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
We'll have to create a N Staffs/ S Cheshire outpost Andy. But back to the point I think the match thread would be a better signpost for examples. Must admit I find it all a bit strange, when people post during games that they are not at, to vent and react to goals etc that the players, the manager are shit etc, but then again I usually find it strange for supporters to do the same kind of thing vocally when they are actually at the match. I wouldn't ask why bother though, I'm glad they bother, just wish they'd turn up and use that bother, to better, more positive effect

TD's "during the match updates" are fantastic if you can't get there as, from what I've read, they're pretty factual and not really his opinion.

I just think persistently spending the time to come on here to moan when you don't make any effort whatsoever to go is a bit daft.

It's like me going on and on about what direction the Foo Fighters should go with their latest album when I've no intention of buying it either way.

Bloody barmy!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:31 am

Why bother?

I didn't get to choose. Lumbered with the set of bastards whether I like it or not.

Thanks, Dad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:08 am

Andy Waller wrote:

Are you moaning about people having a moan? Really? Why bother? :mrgreen:

The remaining fixtures thread was simply an opportunity (I thought) to see what people thought our finishing position (and points) would be. There are always going to be pessimists just as there will be optimists. It's kinda the point of a public forum.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:59 am

I'd take the opposite stance from Andy on this... If someone is that unhappy with things then not being at the match is where they should be 8)
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:11 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Are you moaning about people having a moan?
Are you moaning about people having a moan about people having a moan? Really? Why bother? :mrgreen:

I understand the OP's point about professional miserabilists, but then there are also those who rail against the happy-clappers. twas ever thus: back in the Sammy Lee era it was "knee-jerkers" vs "rose-tinters". At the moment, we have a manager who seems very promising, but a run of two wins in 10 is barely better than the Dougie-dooming opening run of one win in 10. I think folk can be forgiven for not expecting great things in this season's fag-end.

Why does anyone bother? Because they have love and hope in their heart, even if they struggle to express it positively. They - we - wouldn't be on here otherwise; although the internet breeds WUMs, I don't believe there's a single regular TW poster who doesn't wan the best for BWFC. And once you have the bug, it has very little to do with attendance: why does anyone bother listening to bands who split or died years ago?
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:24 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Are you moaning about people having a moan?
Are you moaning about people having a moan about people having a moan? Really? Why bother? :mrgreen:

I understand the OP's point about professional miserabilists, but then there are also those who rail against the happy-clappers. twas ever thus: back in the Sammy Lee era it was "knee-jerkers" vs "rose-tinters". At the moment, we have a manager who seems very promising, but a run of two wins in 10 is barely better than the Dougie-dooming opening run of one win in 10. I think folk can be forgiven for not expecting great things in this season's fag-end.

Why does anyone bother? Because they have love and hope in their heart, even if they struggle to express it positively. They - we - wouldn't be on here otherwise; although the internet breeds WUMs, I don't believe there's a single regular TW poster who doesn't wan the best for BWFC. And once you have the bug, it has very little to do with attendance: why does anyone bother listening to bands who split or died years ago?
Any excuse for this slip of the tongue from John Inverdale (NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkBJx28QiGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.