If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:40 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I think he was used as a wing back

I've known Andy most of his life and I'm surprised he's got this far with his being so small, but I'm convinced the lad capable of that cameo against Sheffield Wednesday has something to offer

He's also a proper trier with a great attitude
Oooh friend
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:58 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I think he was used as a wing back

I've known Andy most of his life and I'm surprised he's got this far with his being so small, but I'm convinced the lad capable of that cameo against Sheffield Wednesday has something to offer

He's also a proper trier with a great attitude
I'd not mind if he gave him a go and he failed. .... & yes, I appreciate the staff see him day in day out. If he got a chance and blew it we'd all think 'fairy nuff'. Till then we'll always wonder.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:06 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Burnden Aces now reporting that Fulham are also in for Ream. Let the bidding war commence!
I wondered if the injury was being exaggerated as smokescreen, but Lennon was very specific about it so probably not. Would be sad to see him go. Some flaws in his game, but compared to minutes played the mistakes aren't really that numerous. To give him his dues, when others are dropping like flies, he keeps going every week.
If it means a decent wedge and 2 or 3 more players in key positions though, so be it.

Agreed! we've seen some of the tricks that Lennons pulled at of the hat! I like Ream but if it gives Neil some money to spend.....so be it!

I'm sorry Plymouth, but yet another one out is no real cause for celebration on this almost hundred page travesty for a transfer thread, no matter how you try to sell it!!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Kellett to me will need to make it as a winger in this league, the bits I've seen of him he's not good enough to get by as a left back with his stature. I think small full backs can work but he's bes going forward in my view anyway.

He offers a left foot and we've hardly any left footed players. I'd like to see him get a chance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:04 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Kellett to me will need to make it as a winger in this league, the bits I've seen of him he's not good enough to get by as a left back with his stature. I think small full backs can work but he's bes going forward in my view anyway.

He offers a left foot and we've hardly any left footed players. I'd like to see him get a chance.
I get what you're saying but size only goes so far. Different position but look at Sterling, he's tiny and not exactly "built" but he wins loads of balls because he battles for absolutely everything and holds off players far larger than he is. Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines etc are all on the small side too but are quality full backs. Marcos Alonso was about 6'2 and wasn't brilliant defensively.
Different situation though. Look how much emphasis Lennon has put on us winning the physical battle. So much so we won more headers than any side in the division on Saturday. Something Lennon has mentioned he is happy with.

He's not sticking Kellett in at left back anytime soon.

I'd like to see him get a go at left wing. Clearly even that isn't happening given the team tonight.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Marc Iles:
Hearing a fourth bid has been submitted by QPR for Tim Ream. It does not match the £2million I believe Wanderers are asking for him - but Rangers seem persistent, and as you might have heard today, Fulham have also enquired about the American defender.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:33 pm

There's plenty enough very good full backs who are/were small. It's not a necessary barrier.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 pm

Iles says club have confirmed Fulham have made a bid for Ream.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:There's plenty enough very good full backs who are/were small. It's not a necessary barrier.
If you're good enough you're tall enough? He's about an inch shorter than Clyne, for whom Liddypool paid £12.5m, and actually taller than Baines. I know some managers (eg Mourinho) like to only have a certain number of sub-six-footers, but it would rather surprise me if their number includes Lennon.

Oh and also, I don't know if anyone's noticed, but we're too f*cking skint to be picky.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Ream will be going it seems. Nixon and Iles both saying it looks that way. Be interesting to see what Lennon does with the money. Everyone will say get a goal scorer I guess, but not sure it is that easy with still limited funds.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Theres the loan market as well - winger and a striker on the shopping list i'd suggest. Who is out of favour? Balotelli?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ream will be going it seems. Nixon and Iles both saying it looks that way. Be interesting to see what Lennon does with the money. Everyone will say get a goal scorer I guess, but not sure it is that easy with still limited funds.
Ah...but will Lennon get the money to spend? No guarantee of that

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Oh and also, I don't know if anyone's noticed, but we're too f*cking skint to be picky.
This. Just seen Bristol City have had an offer of £6m rising to £8m for Dwight Gayle accepted :shock: . We really are the poor relations in this division
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:25 pm

better to get rid and improve the squad with that money. odds are however well not end up spending the majority and we're so jaded by past transfers that any players we are likely to get in are going to be worse than the ones we get rid of

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:50 am

Bijou Bob wrote:He'll probably go to Wiggin, everyone else has. Which reminds me, both of the goals against them on Saturday came from balls played between tge centre backs. Apparently Morgan wasn't exactly outstanding. Perhaps a near miss for us in losing out on hin.
He brought down a bury player for their late penalty winner.
5 ex whites involved in that tie tonight. Was thinking it was an upset then remembered they're in the same division.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 am

officer_dibble wrote:Theres the loan market as well - winger and a striker on the shopping list i'd suggest. Who is out of favour? Balotelli?
It would be used towards a loan, I reckon

Plenty to choose from
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:30 am

Sounds like a London-based bidding war for Ream, his nationality (and potential US revenue) must be a part of that.

Even if the fee goes towards the debt, swapping Ream's wages for a more physical player, or a player in a different position, could be useful. Or, if he's not needed, selling to have more cash for January. Much better for him to be sold than in the reserves getting paid first team wages with Medo.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:49 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Sounds like a London-based bidding war for Ream, his nationality (and potential US revenue) must be a part of that.

Even if the fee goes towards the debt, swapping Ream's wages for a more physical player, or a player in a different position, could be useful. Or, if he's not needed, selling to have more cash for January. Much better for him to be sold than in the reserves getting paid first team wages with Medo.
There would be no chance of him being in the reserves, he's a first pick. It's purely financial because of the need to strengthen other areas. Lennon clearly rates him, as did both his predecessors plus Jurgen Klinnsman and apparently now two rival managers. The guy will be a loss, but needs must I suppose.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:53 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Sounds like a London-based bidding war for Ream, his nationality (and potential US revenue) must be a part of that.

^^ There isn't a player in our squad who I would lose any sleep over if they went. Let's have the money and try and get some decent ones.

Happy to watch the likes of Clough, Clayton etc. try and develop, but if someone offered good wonga, we're probably taking it.

Ream is a marginally average Championship level defender and was so, even when we were in the Prem. He can pick the odd pass, but strangely enough when it comes to heading the fcuker and clearing it, he's a bit shit.

Last player I mourned the passing of was probably Campo - getting on for a decade ago.

Car is already warmed up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:54 am

LeverEnd wrote:

There would be no chance of him being in the reserves, he's a first pick. It's purely financial because of the need to strengthen other areas. Lennon clearly rates him, as did both his predecessors plus Jurgen Klinnsman and apparently now two rival managers. The guy will be a loss, but needs must I suppose.
Aye, I remember them two fondly as well...