If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:42 am

bobo the clown wrote:The first and biggest error was promising Sammy Lee that if Allardyce went he'd be given a shot. It was a reasonable enough idea on paper, given his coaching pedigree, just clearly not in fact. Why we were then left looking at the Megson/Souness level of manager is a mystery given how we'd done in the previous 4 or 5 seasons.

The Lee damage was repairable ... the Megson appointment was strange, though the welcome he got from a section of the support was a disgrace.

Coyle seemed a breath of fresh air ... and it was for the first period. I honestly don't think he ever got over the Stoke semi-final. Injuries ravaged us ... to an extent that boggles the mind ... and then Freedman. Fckg hell, Freedman. I still want to weep. What an astonishingly poor choice that was and I DO claim to have called that from the very outset.
Upon relegation and the failure to return at the first go, I don't think many if any managers would have done much better or made much difference. I said that then and it is still the case now. We were a sinking ship with too many holes to plug. It was a very difficult job for virtually any manager going. Freedman's mistake was leaving Palace. He should have stayed there, because this job was too much for him and too soon.

The club in hindsight, made two major errors. One was not telling Megson to build a side relatively cheaply that could come back up and instead spending millions just to stay up. But that is very easy to say now. The second was, having gambled and spent loads both through Megson and then Coyle, was not in November when it was obvious Coyle the clown was taking us down, binning him off and getting a manager capable of keeping us up. By then we'd played our chips and gambled everything on staying up. We just had to get a proper manager in. But that would have been at best a medium term fix to a problem and would have longer term relied on someone taking the club off Eddie's hands. We might have just been a more attractive proposition at that point if we were in the top flight.

From that point onwards, the damage was done and pretty much the decline almost a certainty. At some point we will bottom out and rise again, but events off the pitch are more important for the future of the club now. All we can hope is that the bottoming out happens in this division and not lower. It should.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am

bobo the clown wrote:The first and biggest error was promising Sammy Lee that if Allardyce went he'd be given a shot. It was a reasonable enough idea on paper, given his coaching pedigree, just clearly not in fact. Why we were then left looking at the Megson/Sounds level of manager is a mystery given how we'd done in the previous 4 or 5 seasons.

The Lee damage was repairable ... the Megson appointment was strange, though the welcome he got from a section of the support was a disgrace.

Coyle seemed a breath of fresh air ... and it was for the first period. I honestly don't think he ever got over the Stoke semi-final. Injuries ravaged us ... to an extent that boggles the mind ... and then Freedman. Fckg hell, Freedman. I still want to weep. What an astonishingly poor choice that was and I DO claim to have called that from the very outset.
If there is one issue levelled at PG wrt managerial appointments it might be about continuity. There has been an alternating pattern of football style associated with each manager, (albeit it could be argued each fitted the circumstance of the time). Obviously we had the rep of the Allardyce style of football. Little Sam was shift to more expansive. Megson back to the more grind it out and Coyle back to the expansive, then back to the grind with Freedman.
Been happy to support all of them (or at least not be hostile) on the basis I am the outside looking in and we only get small insights into the job they do and the circumstances they do it. Each of them at various times and in different proportions, made you proud & optimistic and at other times wonder why you bother.

I will say that 2 of those guys I had early doubts - Little Sam - after the shambles of defeat and interview on MOTd in oversize suit and dear old Duggie, who I was initially bemused but along with SmokinF I began to have reservations a few months into his tenure and whose exploits led me to not renew last years ST for the first time in 20 odd years - 1/2 ST bought when he was dispatched.

I still can't be overly hostile with Coyle. I'm with Bobo, other than I thought the turning point was Holden injury - from there it just seemed like a continuous stream of bad luck. Did he make some mistakes - yes, was he tactically naive on occasion - yes, but fate did seem to be against us.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:The first and biggest error was promising Sammy Lee that if Allardyce went he'd be given a shot. It was a reasonable enough idea on paper, given his coaching pedigree, just clearly not in fact. Why we were then left looking at the Megson/Souness level of manager is a mystery given how we'd done in the previous 4 or 5 seasons.

Upon relegation and the failure to return at the first go, I don't think many if any managers would have done much better or made much difference. I said that then and it is still the case now. We were a sinking ship with too many holes to plug. It was a very difficult job for virtually any manager going. Freedman's mistake was leaving Palace. He should have stayed there, because this job was too much for him and too soon.

The club in hindsight, made two major errors. One was not telling Megson to build a side relatively cheaply that could come back up and instead spending millions just to stay up. But that is very easy to say now. The second was, having gambled and spent loads both through Megson and then Coyle, was not in November when it was obvious Coyle the clown was taking us down, binning him off and getting a manager capable of keeping us up. By then we'd played our chips and gambled everything on staying up. We just had to get a proper manager in. But that would have been at best a medium term fix to a problem and would have longer term relied on someone taking the club off Eddie's hands. We might have just been a more attractive proposition at that point if we were in the top flight.

From that point onwards, the damage was done and pretty much the decline almost a certainty. At some point we will bottom out and rise again, but events off the pitch are more important for the future of the club now. All we can hope is that the bottoming out happens in this division and not lower. It should.
Managed relegation is not really an option. There are no guarantees of securing promotion; and PL status guarantees better income/ players/ managers/ crowds. One strange thing in this saga and that PG should answer, were his public statements wrt budgeting for relegation and having clauses etc in place in player contracts - clearly wasn't true.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 am

It's gravity. A club of our size couldn't stay in the premier league forever. We were bound to drop at some point. Trouble is we dropped with huge debts just as the tv money went even more ridiculous. We're in this for a generation now imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Managed relegation is not really an option. There are no guarantees of securing promotion; and PL status guarantees better income/ players/ managers/ crowds. One strange thing in this saga and that PG should answer, were his public statements wrt budgeting for relegation and having clauses etc in place in player contracts - clearly wasn't true.
Tell that to West Brom or Burnley.

It is an option if your debts aren't too high. When Megson took over our debts hadn't spiralled like they did since. The cost of staying up was going up each season. Megson had experience of promotion and we could have sold Anelka, re-invested small amounts and asked him to build a team that could mount a challenge in the championship. Without spending loads. At worst we'd have been in this division with more than £100M less debt to the owner than we have now. At best we could have re-established the club in the top flight with a lower wage bill and had a real go at being self-sufficient, even if it meant being a yo-yo club for a while.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:56 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:It's gravity. A club of our size couldn't stay in the premier league forever. We were bound to drop at some point. Trouble is we dropped with huge debts just as the tv money went even more ridiculous. We're in this for a generation now imo
I'd agree but remember that, even with Captain Chaos at the helm AND all the injuries we actually only went down on goal difference. So we could have stayed up ... should have ... despite All the negatives aside we should have still been there the next season.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:48 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I've watched Bolton over 40 years

Until Allardyce, PG and ED the longest we spent in the top league was 2 seasons

We are now where we were before Allardyce arrived, though it could be argued he inherited better players

We are a mid second tier to lower top tier club - fcuk all this history shows we should be 14th in the top league

History means nowt...the whole game has changed

Even crowds mean very little in the Prem

They (or more accurately gate receipts) do in this league though and ours are so poor, we will need an exceptional manager and a generous owner - or find a new Michael Ricketts - to even dream of replicating the successes under Allardyce

So, to say the managers following him have been poor may not be accurate

They've been average, bar Coyle who relegated us with a massive wage bill - thats when the problems really began
Hang on, Freedman, average!!! 'Kin hell.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Blimey, I just saw Martial's PSG at United and thought it was Sordell at first!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Sponge wrote:Blimey, I just saw Martial's PSG at United and thought it was Sordell at first!
Me too!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:27 pm

That's what Sordell used to look like until he saw his BWFC pay packet and his eyes popped out
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Just as an aside ... the Juke had suffered a cruciate injury and will miss the rest of the season. Sorry for him, if not for Burnley.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Just as an aside ... the Juke had suffered a cruciate injury and will miss the rest of the season. Sorry for him, if not for Burnley.

Not scored in 32 appearances for them. Burnley lot hate him.

Would have him back here in a shot. Good luck to him in his recovery.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm

ChrisC wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Just as an aside ... the Juke had suffered a cruciate injury and will miss the rest of the season. Sorry for him, if not for Burnley.

Not scored in 32 appearances for them. Burnley lot hate him.

Would have him back here in a shot. Good luck to him in his recovery.
Reckon that even with his injury he could bag more goals than our lot.... :wink:

Hope he recovers well. Probably my favourite player we've had here in a long while.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Every time I've seen him play for Burnley he's been being yanked down by the neck in the box not getting a penalty.

Shame, was fab for us and I hoped we might be able to nick him on loan from them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Here's a thought. If the wage bill is £20million a year as I think I read somewhere on here and it 's accepted that we are just short of a half decent striker to give us a chance of getting in the play-offs, would the first team squad accept a pay cut of say 10% providing that the money saved was spent on said striker?
Of course they f*cking wouldn't - proving that they, like all the other professional footballers, are just mercenaries and only say nice things about their present club to keep the stupid fans (like me) paying their ridiculous wages. Rant over - feeling much better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Bruno3 wrote:Here's a thought. If the wage bill is £20million a year as I think I read somewhere on here and it 's accepted that we are just short of a half decent striker to give us a chance of getting in the play-offs, would the first team squad accept a pay cut of say 10% providing that the money saved was spent on said striker?
Of course they f*cking wouldn't - proving that they, like all the other professional footballers, are just mercenaries and only say nice things about their present club to keep the stupid fans (like me) paying their ridiculous wages. Rant over - feeling much better.
Would you accept a 10% pay cut under those circumstances to pay for a new senior manager or whatever? Of course you f*cking wouldn't.....

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Bruno3 wrote:Here's a thought. If the wage bill is £20million a year as I think I read somewhere on here and it 's accepted that we are just short of a half decent striker to give us a chance of getting in the play-offs, would the first team squad accept a pay cut of say 10% providing that the money saved was spent on said striker?
Ignoring the cretinous content, consider this

And its all very simplistic

Lets say we sign somebody on 5k a week

Lets say he play 50 games

My season ticket pays for approx 12 minutes on the pitch

So, when you say you pay their wages, you dont
Sto ut Serviam

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:51 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

By your own admission you just paid 12 minutes worth, about the amount of time half of them perform for :mrgreen:

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:36 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

Ironically, that's our problem in a sense... our income is limited in this division and who does turn up to the ground is contributing a bigger slice of the overall income than what we had in the Premier League days.

I'm not one to agree with the 'we pay your wages' types, but the bums on seats are a more important part of the club's income than before...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:28 pm

danardif1 wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Ironically, that's our problem in a sense... our income is limited in this division and who does turn up to the ground is contributing a bigger slice of the overall income than what we had in the Premier League days.

I'm not one to agree with the 'we pay your wages' types, but the bums on seats are a more important part of the club's income than before...
Bums on seats is important - but gate receipts as a proportion of revenue is lower than the Prem League overall (at the last accounts)...I suspect because we're still on some sort of parachute payment on broadcasting....