If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:55 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:Sounds like a London-based bidding war for Ream, his nationality (and potential US revenue) must be a part of that.

Even if the fee goes towards the debt, swapping Ream's wages for a more physical player, or a player in a different position, could be useful. Or, if he's not needed, selling to have more cash for January. Much better for him to be sold than in the reserves getting paid first team wages with Medo.
There would be no chance of him being in the reserves, he's a first pick. It's purely financial because of the need to strengthen other areas. Lennon clearly rates him, as did both his predecessors plus Jurgen Klinnsman and apparently now two rival managers. The guy will be a loss, but needs must I suppose.
Hmm, not sure that Lennon would sell Ream if we had millions to spend. But equally I think of the few "sellable assets" we have Ream is probably Lennon's first choice to sell.

And I think Lennon knows someone will need to be sold. Ream is preferable to Vela or Clough and based on last night, Mark Davies being sold.

Also I think the deficiencies in Ream's game are ones that we can improve on to make up for losing his better qualities.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:Sounds like a London-based bidding war for Ream, his nationality (and potential US revenue) must be a part of that.

Even if the fee goes towards the debt, swapping Ream's wages for a more physical player, or a player in a different position, could be useful. Or, if he's not needed, selling to have more cash for January. Much better for him to be sold than in the reserves getting paid first team wages with Medo.
There would be no chance of him being in the reserves, he's a first pick. It's purely financial because of the need to strengthen other areas. Lennon clearly rates him, as did both his predecessors plus Jurgen Klinnsman and apparently now two rival managers. The guy will be a loss, but needs must I suppose.
That's about what I was thinking.

Oh to be fashionable and loved.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:07 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:

Completely agree - he's versatile and can pass but he's shown both in the EPL and the Championship that he can't hack it as a defender. I'm really at a loss as to why he's so highly rated (there's loads of people on the Bolton News site saying he could cut it in the top flight!). I don't hate him, I think he's a determined player, but he just doesn't seem cut out for the "English" game. No physical presence, pretty poor in the air for a 6'1 defender, and doesn't seem to read interceptions or clearances well. I really don't know what people see in him except that he can cover LB, or why they think he's worth more than a few million; in fact I saw some comments saying we shouldn't even consider a bid below £5m (and some higher estimations!). Don't get me wrong I think he's alright, but that's all he is - an average Championship defender.
:pray: :pray:

Wonder how he'd look stood next to Bergsson or Taggart? (Actually I don't - he'd look complete tosh).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:

Completely agree - he's versatile and can pass but he's shown both in the EPL and the Championship that he can't hack it as a defender. I'm really at a loss as to why he's so highly rated (there's loads of people on the Bolton News site saying he could cut it in the top flight!). I don't hate him, I think he's a determined player, but he just doesn't seem cut out for the "English" game. No physical presence, pretty poor in the air for a 6'1 defender, and doesn't seem to read interceptions or clearances well. I really don't know what people see in him except that he can cover LB, or why they think he's worth more than a few million; in fact I saw some comments saying we shouldn't even consider a bid below £5m (and some higher estimations!). Don't get me wrong I think he's alright, but that's all he is - an average Championship defender.
:pray: :pray:

Wonder how he'd look stood next to Bergsson or Taggart? (Actually I don't - he'd look complete tosh).
Quite, though more relevantly how does he compare to Dervite or Moxey? Given they are the players he'd replace, I presume. In the right back four I think he'd be ok at this level, but given we're likely to be defending a lot this season and need people who are good at that more than good at stuff on the ball, I think we can manage without him.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Bergsson? Taggart? As one of those predecessors would say, stop living in the past man! He's one of the best we've got. I'm not saying don't sell him, but I'm happy to give him the credit he deserves rather than slate him for his deficiencies.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 pm

He's soft as shite which isn't helpful in this division. My 99 year old Gran could out muscle him off the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:He's soft as shite which isn't helpful in this division. My 99 year old Gran could out muscle him off the ball.
Aye. If we had a defence full of bruisers, losing Ream would be a big blow because he is a good footballer from the back.

But defensively, in terms of keeping goals out, in this division I don't think he's that great. At least not in our team.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:He's soft as shite which isn't helpful in this division. My 99 year old Gran could out muscle him off the ball.
I challenge your assertion!

The second one that is.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Bergsson? Taggart? As one of those predecessors would say, stop living in the past man! He's one of the best we've got. I'm not saying don't sell him, but I'm happy to give him the credit he deserves rather than slate him for his deficiencies.
Bergsson was a snip at 65k - even counting for inflation. Taggart was a record signing at £1.5m which we certainly couldn't afford counting for inflation. :-)

I think we still need a couple of no-nonsense CB's - I think it's a while since we had any.

As for one of the best we've got, I think you've caught the Bolton disease - look at what we have and set the bar lower to accommodate.

We need a solid spine to the team - I haven't seen one of those for a while now. Decent keeper, two CB's who actually understand the colour of blood. Holding MF, attacking MF and someone who can put the ball in the net.

We have Trotter.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Are we gonna get some wingers in? Someone on here suggested recently that a winger is not one of our main concerns, but we've got few - if any - good wingers.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Enoch wrote:

The second one that is.
You clearly haven't met my Gran!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:

The second one that is.
Can you be sure!

:oops:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:@Jugs, Worthy and a few others - Dunno about you lot but my priority positions are:

1) A further LB/RB (ideally one of each finance dependent)
2) A LW/RW (again ideally one of each finance dependent)
3) Striker, ALF/Klasnic poacher style who can partner Madine/Clough
4) A further CB; I'll admit a few pages back I thought we'd need another but it's now a lower priority for me if Holding is as promising as the matchgoers say he is.
5) A youth (or older) keeper for competition/cover
6) Invest in youth, either our own or signing others.

Of course that's in an ideal world but I think if we sell Ream, 1 and 2 are likely with at least one fullback and winger, with 3/4/5 being loans if needed. I'm happy with Amos, Dervite and Prince seem a good partnership, Moxey has improved (and I was a big critic), Wilson seems decent enough until we sign competition, Spearing/DPratz have improved and are lynchpins IMO, Mavies sounds sharp, and Clough/Madine are our good if misfiring strike force. I think our nucleus of players is good enough to push for midtable or higher, we just need to shore up some areas and get some competition in for places. And start learning that the post/crossbar does not count as a goal :)
What makes you think it's a good partnership? Have you seen Madine's career stats for finding the net at this, or any, level?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm probably a little less concerned about LW/RW - I think we can cover some of those - I do think we've got too many poor CB's - I don't rate Wheater much either. He's always injured and turns like the Titanic.

We seem to have acquired a couple of CB's in Dedrik and Prince - both looked okish from the couple of games I've seen them in. We also have Dervite. Moxey is an interesting one - he looked ok against Liverpool (for example - whereas an out of position Vela looked a complete rookie). I was hoping Spearing would be the holding MF - perhaps he just needed the kick up the arse going on loan gave him last season.

Pratters still seems to be solid and Danns is (sorry PT) ok at harassing and occasionally getting forrards.

Mavies, Clayton and Clough looked pretty good for a while last season - Mavies for me too injury prone to be of much long term value - I'd have flogged him to Swansea.

So....

-----------------------------Amos-----------------------------

Vela?---------------Prince/Dervite/Dedrik-----------------Moxey

---------------------------Spearing/?--------------------------

Clough-------------Danns/Pratters/Mavies---------------------Clayton

---------------------------Goalscorer/Madine--------------------------

So, I'd probably have as priorities.....Goalscorer, RB and DMF (depending on whether Spearing is the same one we had on loan) - I could potentially see Clough, Clayton or Mavies being tried in the AMF/Second Striker role.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'm probably a little less concerned about LW/RW - I think we can cover some of those - I do think we've got too many poor CB's - I don't rate Wheater much either. He's always injured and turns like the Titanic.

We seem to have acquired a couple of CB's in Dedrik and Prince - both looked okish from the couple of games I've seen them in. We also have Dervite. Moxey is an interesting one - he looked ok against Liverpool (for example - whereas an out of position Vela looked a complete rookie). I was hoping Spearing would be the holding MF - perhaps he just needed the kick up the arse going on loan gave him last season.

Pratters still seems to be solid and Danns is (sorry PT) ok at harassing and occasionally getting forrards.

Mavies, Clayton and Clough looked pretty good for a while last season - Mavies for me too injury prone to be of much long term value - I'd have flogged him to Swansea.

So....

-----------------------------Amos-----------------------------

Vela?---------------Prince/Dervite/Dedrik-----------------Moxey

---------------------------Spearing/?--------------------------

Clough-------------Danns/Pratters/Mavies---------------------Clayton

---------------------------Goalscorer/Madine--------------------------

So, I'd probably have as priorities.....Goalscorer, RB and DMF (depending on whether Spearing is the same one we had on loan) - I could potentially see Clough, Clayton or Mavies being tried in the AMF/Second Striker role.
Clough is best playing off the front man.

But beyond that, you've forgotten Wilson, who to my eyes looks an entirely decent right back.

As much as I agree on the sentiment about a strong spine I think the priority has to be another striker. Then cover for left back, because Moxey is the only left footed defender we've got. At right back, Vela could play there and I reckon one of our right footed centre backs probably could do a job if needed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:37 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:I'd be very uncomfortable with Clough on the RW. He's first and foremost a striker, who can play a secondary role as AMF/SS as you say, but RW would be very out of position there. Plus with his "nippiness" he seems better playing off someone, or sitting on the last man. Clayton can play on the RW moderately well from what my Crewe supporting mate said when we signed him, but again he is first and foremost a striker (even said as much in his first interview). We have no dedicated wingers except for Hall, who most people want to see gone; Feeney, who people like as a "trier" but lament lack of end product; Walker, who like Clough is unproven; and Kellett, who started out a LB and Lennon for some reason doesn't seem to rate. Unless I'm forgetting anyone? That's three youth players and one senior and they're all on the left.

I think part of the reason that we can struggle going forwards is because of a lack of good chances, and signing some dedicated wingers would help that situation. But I'd put priority on the full backs because as you say we do have some players who can cover on the wing.

I'd also rather see Vela in CM with Pratley or Spearing, and Wilson at RB.

Wheater I've said since day 1 is overrated; clumsy, slow, and completely lacking in agility but I would prefer him in the side over Ream. At least he can be a useful lump when defending and attacking set pieces, and understands the principles of defending.

@Insane: We've got Ream who's left footed (admittedly all but out the door) and I believe Kellett is too.
Yes I'm counting Ream as gone, without him going doubt there will be any more incomings.

And people can discuss the rights and wrongs of this, but I believe there is very little chance of Kellett being selected at left back by Lennon. Little chance of him being selected at all it seems, for whatever reason right or wrong.

I see Kellett as a winger really, but think he will be shipped out if the club can manage it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Not something I ever thought much about before, but do Bolton council provide any financial support to their town football team? I mean, they can afford to pretty up the centre of town ,provide a skate-board park, a nine-screen cinema complex (which in this day of giant home T.V's and a monthly package from Sky or somewhere that can be got for the price of a couple of visits to the cinema complex seems doomed to white-elephant land,) and a mushroom park of trampolines and a multi-million pound intechange when we already have a feasible one, yet Bolton Wanderers are totally skint and can't afford to buy a couple of half-decent players?

Questions, not statements....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Not something I ever thought much about before, but do Bolton council provide any financial support to their town football team? I mean, they can afford to pretty up the centre of town ,provide a skate-board park, a nine-screen cinema complex (which in this day of giant home T.V's and a monthly package from Sky or somewhere that can be got for the price of a couple of visits to the cinema complex seems doomed to white-elephant land,) and a mushroom park of trampolines and a multi-million pound intechange when we already have a feasible one, yet Bolton Wanderers are totally skint and can't afford to buy a couple of half-decent players?

Questions, not statements....

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Is this now the fantasy football thread rather than transfer?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:

The second one that is.
Can you be sure!

:oops:
She'd have you for breakfast :P