If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 am

jaffka wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:I doubt he'd keep 3 at the back and 5 across the half way line, either

Well, quite.
Which wasnt the point you made.
It would have been pretty difficult for me to point out that what you'd written was bollocks before you'd written it.

For the record, and I'd perhaps naively assumed this was obvious, when I said "don't piss about with the back 4" I meant in normal conditions. If we're 1-0 down in a cup final and Lenners decides to go 3, 2 or even 1 at the back as we chuck people forward then no, I'm not going to criticise him for that (I just hope the final in question isn't the Johnstone's Paint, which it could be if he keeps pissing about with 3 at the back).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:37 am

sending everyone up for a corner does not mean that your game formation is 0-0-10.. it simply means you've sent everyone up for a corner...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:23 am

Prufrock wrote:
jaffka wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:I doubt he'd keep 3 at the back and 5 across the half way line, either

Well, quite.
Which wasnt the point you made.
It would have been pretty difficult for me to point out that what you'd written was bollocks before you'd written it.

For the record, and I'd perhaps naively assumed this was obvious, when I said "don't piss about with the back 4" I meant in normal conditions. If we're 1-0 down in a cup final and Lenners decides to go 3, 2 or even 1 at the back as we chuck people forward then no, I'm not going to criticise him for that (I just hope the final in question isn't the Johnstone's Paint, which it could be if he keeps pissing about with 3 at the back).
Every formation does not have it's use. Even Bob Martinez hasn't tried to resurrect 1-1-9. 3-5-2 wants binning off. It was shite in the 90s and it still is now. Plenty room for flexibility going forwards, don't piss about with the back 4.
This.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:23 am

thebish wrote:sending everyone up for a corner does not mean that your game formation is 0-0-10.. it simply means you've sent everyone up for a corner...
at that particular time you have gone exactly that.

tactical fluidity, its not a game of chess

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:28 am

jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:sending everyone up for a corner does not mean that your game formation is 0-0-10.. it simply means you've sent everyone up for a corner...

isn't chess a game of tactical fluidity? :conf:

anyway - I call bollox! you don't say the game formation has changed every time a player moves - that's bonkers la-la world!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:32 am

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:

isn't chess a game of tactical fluidity? :conf:

anyway - I call bollox! you don't say the game formation has changed every time a player moves - that's bonkers la-la world!
Chess is alternative turns, football is fluid. I really thought you would have understood that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

aye - chess - tactical fluidity - your tactics change over the game... ie - not tactically static. (simple!)

as for proposing that your game formation changes every time your players move - still bollox!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:36 am

thebish wrote:aye - chess - tactical fluidity - your tactics change over the game... ie - not tactically static. (simple!)

as for proposing that your game formation changes every time your players move - still bollox!
thanks for your opinion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:46 am

If formations are fluid and don't matter I take it that there is never any basis to complain about a system or formation any manager has ever used? Because ultimately it is all fluid and doesn't matter?

paleka12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by paleka12 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 am

Im not going to lie, i do like the 3-5-2 formation... It has worked under Conte for Juventus, Costa Rica's run at the worldcup also featured the use of a 3-5-2. And Croatia's first ever world cup they used a 3-5-2 and finished 3rd. But then again, Juventus and Croatia's players are at a different pedigree to ours.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:59 am

It's for fanboys, Football Manager and the 90s. Teams sometimes have initial success using it as it's something different, and then they get worked out. It's bobbins defensively, unless you have the wing-backs pinned back in, which case it's bobbins going forward.

Full-backs are usually up there in terms of who touches the ball most because the square ball wide is the easy ball out in midfield or from the back. In 3-5-2 they either aren't there because they're trying to give width further forward, or they are there and so there is no width further forward.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 pm

It's fine for some of the tip sides! No good for little old bolton!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:39 pm

A bit left field maybe, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Wellington would have been smashed at Waterloo if the little French fella was half the general he thought he was. I guess any tactics can work if the oppo ain't all that.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 pm

This page sort if sums up this thread so far. Feck all to do with players coming in.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:This page sort if sums up this thread so far. Feck all to do with players coming in.

nonsense!! Enoch was just talking about Wellington!! :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:13 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:This page sort if sums up this thread so far. Feck all to do with players coming in.
Well we need to talk about something until we see what Silva and Pisano are all about tomorrow :) dunno about the rest of the forum, but I've not heard any rumours for a few days now.
Pisano not involved tomorrow as he's not had a pre-season as he's been out of contract.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Pisano not involved tomorrow as he's not had a pre-season as he's been out of contract.
Really? I knew he was out of contract, just assumed he'd been training with us (or another team) to keep fitness up. Loads of players have done that before, isn't that what Heskey and Gudjohnsen initially came here for?
Neil Lennon said he's been training on his own and isn't really ready...is all I know!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Pisano not involved tomorrow as he's not had a pre-season as he's been out of contract.
Really? I knew he was out of contract, just assumed he'd been training with us (or another team) to keep fitness up. Loads of players have done that before, isn't that what Heskey and Gudjohnsen initially came here for?
Neil Lennon said he's been training on his own and isn't really ready...is all I know!
Fair enough if that's the case; just moderately surprised that he's been on our scope for so long and we've (likely) had something agreed in principle for a good few weeks and we've not allowed him to train with us!
Maybe he didn't want to? I guess as it was dependent on a player leaving it might not have been appropriate as presumably he had other offers.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:30 pm

So, so far ...

Amos
Pisano
Derik
Prince
Wilson
Silva (loan)
Madine

... oh, & Dobbie

Lussey and Cabrerio who I know nothing really about. "One's for the future" I guess.

Have I missed any ?

Added to returning injured from last year, which are always "like having a new signing" ; Pratley, Clough, Clayton eventually. We'll quickly brush over Wheater I think.

Just such a shame we missed out on Alf.

Maybe still a couple to drift in in the next few weeks.

Not too shabby Plymouth, overall, given our hands are tied behind our backs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If formations are fluid and don't matter I take it that there is never any basis to complain about a system or formation any manager has ever used? Because ultimately it is all fluid and doesn't matter?
Heaven forbid theres one less thing to complain about. Far too much emphasis and bollox spouted. Any system, formation or whatever relies on the players you have (physical and mental ability) as well as the form they are in & how ell they do what they are told (before & during game); the philosophy behind how you play it (is 3-5-2 an attacking or defensive set up); throw in a dollop of the oppositon ( do you impose or match) and the need to change throughout a game etc etc. Can see the benefit of having a default set up, but can't see the value of only having 1 or discounting some completely.

Anyway back to the thread - not seen any discussion about our potential spanish LB. I had a look a couple of days ago - he did seem to be a jonah and have a few relegations on his CV (sorry)